Any Suggestions What This Could Be?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by G & I, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G & I

G & I Member

About 10 days ago, I woke up to find a growth on her head to the left and well above the right eye (between the eye and the ear). There was nothing there the previous evening as I would have noticed with the thorough daily cleaning of her skin around her ears and neck. Whatever is inside moves about when touched and it does not appear to cause her any pain. Still, the vet just looked at it and makes no comment. Every day we have been to the vet for sub q injections and I continue to point it out. They said they could stick it and then perhaps surgery to remove but did not want to do this. I am at a total loss now...Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

What does it look like? (Maybe a photo?) What does it feel like when you touch it.. smooth, rough, etc.? Is it getting larger or staying the same?

Becky & Baby Girl GA and G & I like this.
  3. G & I

G & I Member

I'm not good with getting photos in here and the images I have taken don't really show it very well. It is smooth, round, almost like a small marble that you can move around as you touch it. A bit larger than 10 days ago.

BTW: How is it going with the insulin change?

4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

could be a sebaceous cyst .... usually harmless.

5. G & I

G & I Member

Is there a treatment or course of action?

6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Baby had a small pea size bump on her side. Not attached - in other words moving with skin. My vet said it was a small sebaceous cyst & pricked it with a needle, - squeezed, drained, cleaned it & done. I thought the worse because it didn’t look red or like a people pimple. The color just matched her skin. It’s fine now.

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I am not a cat :cat: but I had something like that on the top of my foot. Came out of nowhere, got somewhat larger over time, it was a bit red around it, never hurt but looked scary. I ended up going to a dermatologist who cut it out and sent it off for testing. It was just a harmless cyst.

The insulin change is 'interesting' thus far.. it seems hopeful, but there is an adjustment period. Thanks for asking.

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I personally would use warm compresses and use a needle to pop it as @Becky & Baby Girl Kitty mentioned. It is hard to be sure without seeing and feeling it but after having worked with my vet closely I saw it done pretty often. Sometimes they come back sometimes not. If it is hard I would not suggest this.
    It can also move to a different location IF it is a sebaceous cyst. They are really common in dogs.

Most times when a biopsy is done it comes back "inconclusive" which translates to "you just wasted your money:banghead:"
    :bighug:

9. G & I

G & I Member

I may have the vet go ahead and do this. They will probably not want to though. So I may have to prepare myself to follow your procedure. Thanks so much for the info. I have a feeling that this (sebaceous cyst) is in fact what I am dealing with.

10. G & I

G & I Member

This appears to be exactly as you describe. About the size of a pea but on her head which worries me. Will probably ask the vet to try, but may get pushback as I often do with them so may have to go for it myself. Thanks so much. I'm thinking you have given me the answer.

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If it's soft and movable it's most likely a benign, fluid filled cyst of some sort, especially if it appeared suddenly as you described.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.