Any thoughts on alternating Lactulose and Pumpkin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shiloh & Rhonda (GA), Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

One in the morning, the other in the evening? I would like to not give the Lactulose for a long period of time and use the pumpkin instead. But I realize my civie probably needs the L boost at first, so I do want to do what is going to help him the most.

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you noticed any BG change on Lactulose? I just started it today because pumpkin and Slippery Elm weren't doing the trick. Why did you choose Lactulose over Miralax?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Bronx's dad....I didn't necessarily choose Lactulose. My DH took the cats to the vet and I wasn't there. That was what the vet Rx'd. I only started last night, and Spuds had one really difficult BM (three small hard pieces), then about 15 minutes later (30 minutes after dose), he had a more comfortable BM that was much softer. But I think that may have been more from the sub-q he was given at the vet on Thursday, rather than the Lactulose.

ETA: Spuds is my civie. He has some kidney disease going on, but no diabetes to worry about.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  4. Lillie

Lillie Member

I always thought lactulose was a pretty sugary liquid or powder. I don't know why vets keep recommending this when miralax seems to work so well and is easy to sprinkle on cat's food. It was a miracle med for my intestinal lymphoma kitty who also had CRF who at one time was so very constipated.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

6. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.