Any tips for kitties who think they are starving?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda for Weezer, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

For a couple of days Weezer has been acting like she's starving. I am trying to keep her to a 3 oz can for breakfast, 1/4 of a 5 1/2 oz can (frozen) for mid day, a 3 oz can for dinner and another 1/4 of the 5 1/2 oz can for night time grazing, with treats at test times. I even water her food under the theory that soup is more filling. It's not working out so well. This morning she found the treat bag and ate about a 1/4 of the bag before we caught her at it! Luckily it was just freeze dried chicken. Then she begged a good sized chunk of the turkey from my husband's sandwich at lunch time. She has been following me around all day with hungry eyes. When she was a baby I promised her she would never be hungry again. It breaks my heart! I ended up giving her an extra frozen portion. She didn't even wait for it to thaw! She weights 12+ lbs and Dr. wants us to watch her weight. I don't suppose there is any magic way to satisfy her with letting her eat all she wants?

2. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Lgrooms and Weezer,
    I dont know much about over eating as I am trying soo hard to get my 2 girls out of 3 to eat. I usually put food down and refill about every hour or so when I am home. When I go to work, we feed at 5ish and refill before I walk out the door at 6. Sometimes (more than not lately) there is food left over when I get home around 4ish. We start the whole thing over and stop when I refill at 9ish before bed.
    I am browsing the food charts though to see what has higher cals/protein, as I want weight not lose. Maybe you could do the same but with the lower cals/protein? That way Wheezer could eat more often? like all the time ;-)
    Good luck!

3. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

Give her all the food she wants. Diabetic cats are voracious until you get the diabetes under control, then their appetites will return to normal. Weezer can not utilize the food she is eating. Trying to limit her food will just make her more miserable than she is already.

Lana

4. my Casey bear

my Casey bear Member

I second what Lana said, give her as much as she wants.

My Casey used to act as if she was starving all the time. Now that her blood glucose numbers are getting lower, she doesn't seem that she needs/wants as much food as she used to...at least in spurts - I am guessing it is because I have gotten a handle on her diabetes but not completely under control yet. Also, the more I need to feed her, the lower the carb count of canned cat food I give her.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Do you have a scale to monitor Weezer's weight? If he is maintaining the weight wanted then you are feeding the right amount.

6. Linda for Weezer

Thanks for the advice. We would like her to weigh in at 12 lbs. She has been bouncing around between 12.3 to 13.2. I weigh her on my Wii Fit, under pet stats.

Her bg #s haven't been too bad, only occasionally reaching low pinks, so I thought her appetite would be returning to normal. I am testing her urine too. No ketones :D , but although her blood levels aren't bad, the urine glucose reads at the top of the scale :shock: . I know the blood test shows what's going on at the moment and the urine records what has been going on since the last urination, but when I do spot testing during the day I don't see wild swings. Does anyone have any ideas why the urine test returns such high values?

7. Linda for Weezer

Based on the insights you guys shared I changed things up this AM. When Weezer scarfed down breakfast, immediately licked the frozen "mid day" meal gone and was cleaning up whatever smell was left on the placemat her dishes are on, I gave her another frozen portion. She looked at it, kind of sighed and walked away. I think some of her overwhelming hunger may be psychological. She knows she can eat more later, so she is content to wait. Relief!!

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

diabetic cats are starving and their hunger drive is immense. Maui could eat 2 - 2 1/2 cans of fancy feast in one sitting.

Once her diabetes got under control, so did her hunger and she started eating more normal amounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.