Any UK'ers on here know where to order prozinc online?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becki and sox, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hi just wondering if any one has any good websites to order prozinc and syringes from please?
    I've seen petdrugsonline. Just wondering if there's anywhere else we could look. Thank you

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Other places that I know of for Prozinc, Becki, are Petdispense and Viovet (there may well be others), but I just checked and Petdrugsonline seems to be the cheapest.

I've used Petdrugsonline quite a few times for some of Bert's prescription meds (at the suggestion of his vet!), and have found them to be really good.

Eliz

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Becki and sox likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

4. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Are these syringes easy to draw up cause the needles I use only have whole numbers and half units on.

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Becki, there are no syringes (that I know of) that have increments smaller than half unit markings.
    However.... It is possible to use U40 insulin with U100 syringes, along with a conversion chart. This can make it very much easier to measure small doses, and also those fiddly little doses that aren't in full or half units.
    U100 insulin is 2.5 times 'stronger' (in terms of units per ml) than U40 insulin. So, for example, to measure one unit of Prozinc on a U100 syringe you'd actually fill the syringe to the 2.5 unit mark.
    The link to the conversion chart is here so you can see how it works.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

If you'd like to try some U100 syringes I can pop some of Bertie's in the post to you. Just PM me your address if you'd like me to do that.

Eliz

6. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Elizabeth and Bertie
    I've uploaded a picture of the syringe I currently use. These are the prozinc ones but there 48pounds for 120 syringes :confused:

So with the u100 syringes I'd still be giving the same amount of insulin but it would just be a higher number on those than what it shows on my u40 syringes?
    That link you sent me says on it that it's a u40 syringe bit is it not? Sorry I'm
    Been abit daft with them :confused:
    What would 0.75 be on a u100 syringe?
    You say these are quiet popular to use then even with the prozinc?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  7. Elizabeth and Bertie

The first link I posted about where to get syringes was about buying U40's, yes. (We'd not mentioned U100's at that point, haha! ...Sorry for any confusion, Becki....)
    The generic U40's from VetUK are £14.99 for a box of 100, plus postage.
    https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...nsulin-syringe-with-needle-box-of-100-p-11335
    And in fact there are also these generic Sol-Vet U40's for £19.24 per 100, plus postage:
    https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/sol-m-u40-insulin-caninsulin-syringes-0-5ml

If you start to use U100's they're actually more widely available because human diabetics use them.

If you draw Prozinc up to the 1.5 mark on a U100 syringe you'd have 0.6 of a unit of Prozinc.
    If you draw Prozinc up to the 2 unit mark on a U100 you'd have 0.8 of a unit of Prozinc.
    So, to get .75 you'd do a 'skinny' 2 units on the U100 syringe (a smidge below the 2 unit mark).

The U100's can be really useful for folks using Prozinc or Caninsulin (when measuring small doses, or partial units; there are more lines on the syringe barrel to use as reference points).
    But not everyone can get their head around the idea of the conversion, so it is important to be OK with that in order to do it. For reassurance, it can be helpful to draw up some coloured liquid (cold tea will do) and measure to the one unit mark in a U40, and to the 2.5 mark in a U100. If you then squirt that out onto kitchen paper you should be able to see that it is the same amount of liquid.

Eliz

Becki and sox likes this.
  8. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Ahh no worries @Elizabeth and Bertie lol
    The different types of syringes are a minefield too lol
    Just thought if I could use different syringes might be able to save some money there.
    Are the generic u40 syringes any good have you ever used them?
    Where do you order your u100 syringes from?

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Haven't used them personally, Becki (I've used U100 insulin for years now); but quite a few UK'ers use the VetUK generic U40's. (Very few people use the brand name ones!).
    The generics are so much cheaper. And now the Sol-Vet ones are available also, so there's more choice.

The U100's most of us in the UK use are the BD Micro-fine Demi 0.3ml syringes.
    I usually get my U100's from VetUK, but they can be cheaper from other places sometimes. Someone the other day said they were available online from Alldaypharmacy for a tenner a box at the moment....
    http://www.alldaypharmacy.co.uk/products/BD-Micro%2dFine-Demi-0.3ml-Syringe-0.3mm-(30G)-x-8mm-Box-of-100.html

Eliz

10. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Elizabeth and Bertie would you mind sending me one so I could have a look at one. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try those ones yet lol :D
    Only if thats ok though I can always send you some money for it and postage.

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

I can send you 10 or 20 to play with, if you like (a couple of packs of ten?) It's no problem at all. Just PM an address to send to. Bertie is happy to help. :D

12. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

13. Schmill

Schmill Member

Hey :)

As an alternative;

We tried the VetUK Syringes and didn't like them (personal preference) since the 1 and 0.5 unit marks are a bit harder to make out.
    We opted for SOLVET syringes as we found the marking much clearer. They are a bit more expensive, £19.98 + delivery for 100, but if you bought two boxes you'd be over the "£39 free delivery" threshold:
    https://www.petprescription.co.uk/p...ringes-29g-sol-m-can-be-used-with-caninsulin/

For the Prozinc Viovet sell at £50.50 (+ £5.99 delivery), and PetDrugsOnline sell at £45.60 (+ £5.99 delivery), however for us personally the VioVet warehouse is reasonably local, so we buy from there and collect, so no postage charge.
    Don't forget to also factor in your vets "Prescription Charge" - ours charges £10 to issue the prescription (which you will need) so allow for that too when working out prices (y)

14. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Schmill Great thank you.
    Yes I've been looking at pet drugs online. They seem the cheapest for me.

I've currently have some of the u100 needles to try just need to practise measuring out in those as the measurements are different.

Schmill likes this.
  15. Schmill

Schmill Member

Good luck, hope all goes well with the U100's, I've never used them.
    Still trying to find the sweet spot for Dusty so we still adjust in 0.5U amounts, or eyeball .25 if needed, anything finer than that though and I think we'd be looking at the U100 too!

16. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Schmill yes we're having to eye ball 0.75 at the moment as the 1u seemed to be getting abit to high a dose for Sox.
    Thought we would try them just cause there so much cheaper than the prozinc needles.

17. Schmill

Schmill Member

Totally agree, some of the syringes sees to be a silly price for what they are!
    Great that Sox is doing well on a relatively low dose too!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  18. Elizabeth and Bertie

That's very interesting to know, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.