Any Veterinarian recommendations in New Jersey? Near NE NJ

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by otisangel, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otisangel

otisangel New Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a vet in northern New Jersey. I'm in Essex county. My cat has had diabetes for many years and has been with the same vet, the same insulin, the same diet and the same dosage the whole time; despite having high glucose tests, frucostamine tests, and great thirst. After reading up on feline diabetes and checking out this site, I'd like to find a new vet that is more familiar with feline diabetes and treatments. And open to my involvement, home BG testing, etc.

Would love any help!
    Thanks!
    Marley

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Re: Any Veterinarian recommendations in New Jersey? Near NE

how far away is iselin? we have a long time member there who might have recommendations. also i know she's helped several other members in that area learn to hometest even so surely someone has a vet they can recommend if that's close enough :)

eta: or what about morristown? too far?

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

While you are looking for a vet, there are things you can do that you don't need the vet's permission for. Like hometesting. You don't need his permission to test your cat. You can do it at home, start a spreadsheet and have numbers and info ready for a new vet. Here is a good beginning site: Newbie hometesting site and a Video for hometesting

If you get the hometesting down, you can look at ways to improve the diet. (We suggest not changing the diet until you know the blood glucose levels. Some kitties, like our Oliver, go down 100 points overnight when switched from dry to wet.)

You can get some information on the way Humulin works here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=303

Let us know how we can help.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi I'm in Iselin, which I think is too far for you. Is Hackensack nearby? Caryl & Alex are located there.

I don't know anyone in the Essex area - sorry.

5. otisangel

otisangel New Member

I think Iselin is about a half hour away. That would be a much longer trip to the vet than Otis normally takes, but he's never minded the car, thank goodness. For a good vet, I would definitely travel!

6. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

You can try Dr. Pla in Ridgefield, NJ he is excellent with diabetic cats and does not try to sell you the expensive prescription food. He recommends Fancy Feast and Friskies. He advocates home testing and is basically a great vet for special needs kitties.

Nancy

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I use Raritan Animal hospital in Edison. The vet I see is no longer there. Dr. Traurig is good, I've had some dealings with her.

Like you said, it is a drive to get down here. Now if you ever need a good dentist - Dr. Scott at Red Bank is excellent!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.