Any word on how Noodle did on his dental today?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MommaOfMuse, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Christie how's your boy doing....still pacing here until we hear all is well and he is back home in your loving arms.. nailbite_smile nailbite_smile nailbite_smile

Mel and The Fur Gang

2. Christianna

Christianna Member

Hi Mel,
    Great minds...
    I was just getting ready to post when I saw your post :smile: Noodle came through just fine, thank God and I will be leaving in a minute to pick him up. They told me to call at noon and believe me, that was among the longest 4 hours of my life. He had been scheduled for 8 am but they had an emergency, a badly injured cocker spaniel was brought in, so poor Noodle had to wait till 9 am. It turned out he had one abscessed tooth (one of the small ones on his lower left side) so it had to be extracted. His gingivitis was quite bad but there were no other nasty surprises. He was still very groggy when I called at noon and I pushed to let me come and get him around 2:00 but they wanted me to wait till 4 to be sure he's back to himself. That will be one of the happiest car trips of my life :smile: I don't know why I was so particularly panicked over this procedure but I was. Thank you so much for "holding my hand" through all this and for your words of advice and encouragement and most of all your prayers. I appreciate it all so much!

Christi

3. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

That is great Christi that Noodle did well with his dental and you must be so relieved it is done and that it went well too.

4. Christianna

Christianna Member

Thanks so much, Voula :smile: Yes, I am so relieved Noodle didn't have any complications with the anesthetic and that his cleaning didn't reveal anything really complicated. The whole time he was having it done I carried my phone around with me, afraid they were going to call with dire news. I couldn't settle down to anything :? He is still a little sleepy tonight but we are both so happy that today is behind us :thumbup

Christi

5. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I would have been the same way with my phone and worrying too. The vet thinks my Lucy could do with a cleaning of her teeth and I feel terrified about it. Lucy has vestibular syndrome and when she has anesthetic or sedation she has a hard time with vertigo for several days after it. The vet said it isn't urgent but I don't want to leave the dental for too long but I also am afraid to have it done especially as her diabetes is not regulated at this time. But I saw from your spreadsheet that Noodle's blood glucose levels are not in normal range yet so that alleviates my anxiety a bit too.

6. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Voula,

Actually, having a dental done sooner rather than later can go a long way in helping to regulate Lucy. If she has any kind of infection in there or pain that is going to elevate her BG's. Dentals are one of the first things I have done as soon as I can afford to when I adopt a new diabetic.

Which reminds..Christie remember to test Noodle a little more frequently when possible now because as he heals up and that abscess clears up he may drop like a stone and you don't want to miss a dose reduction. :D Did they send him home with any pain meds and/or antibiotics?

Mel and The Fur Gang

7. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

hi Christi
    i am so happy that Noodle is done with the dental and back home with you. we were all so nervous waiting to hear. great news. dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

8. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you Mel. It is good to know all of that as I have been worried about the anesthetic. When Lucy had sedation for blood tests a few months ago she developed ketones in her urine the next day which may have been from the stress and not eating much so that is why I am anxious. I am also anxious that dental issues be attended to soon as I know if there are any issues that attending to them will help with regulating diabetes. Thank you again.

9. Christianna

Christianna Member

Hi Voula,
    It looks like Lucy's BG numbers are fairly similar to Noodle's and I agree with Mel that doing the dental when you can may help Lucy in the long run. Many people on the forum have seen remarkable improvements after a dental. My main problem was finding a vet who would do the dental before Noodle was "regulated." Oddly, most of them agreed that cleaning his teeth might be helpful in getting him regulated but they wouldn't do it until he was regulated!!!! :evil: Kind of a "what came first, the chicken or the egg thing". But I really, REALLY understand your trepidation; I was a basket case--just ask anyone here :oops: It is so sad that sweet Lucy suffers from vertigo after anesthetic--I can see why you dread it. When you get ready to take Lucy for her dental, the folks on here will give you lots of guidance about what to ask and watch out for to make things as risk-free as possible. Fingers crossed that Lucy gets into good numbers soon :smile:

Christi

10. Christianna

Christianna Member

Nadine,
    Thanks so much for your good wishes and all the dancing kitties! I am so glad Noodle is home safe although he is a little sleepy today. He was so stressed out that I imagine it'll take him awhile to bounce back but I slept better last night than I had for quite a few days :smile: How is our bouncing baby boy Tibbs doing today? Have you given any more thought to Levemir?

Christi

11. Christianna

Christianna Member

Hi Mel,
    Yes, they sent Noodle home with an antibiotic named Simplicef (cefpodoxine.) The vet had originally planned to give him amoxicillin but the last two times he had it it gave him diarrhea and then later, vomiting. It took him a couple of weeks to get past that so she opted for this one and cautioned me to stop it if it gave him diarrhea. This is one I had never heard of before. She wouldn't give me any pain med; didn't think it was necessary (?) We had some pretty terse words about that but she wouldn't cut loose with any. G-R-R-R-R. Thank you for your reminder to test Noodle frequently, which I have been doing since he got home. I need to go update my SS but oddly, this morning AMPS he was 323 when he had been running in the low-mid 200s most days lately. So I can't figure that rise out. When I reported that to the vet this morn she said to raise his dose .25 tomorrow. Do you have any thoughts about that? I might be wrong but was thinking right now might not be the best time for increasing since we don't yet know the full effect the dental might have. Thanks so much for your ongoing help :smile:

Christi

12. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

hi christi
    when do we ever listen to the vet. lol lol
    i'm with you. i would wait to increase. i can't believe she wouldn't give you any pain meds. do you like this vet? that would upset me enough to get a new vet. i am lucky. my vet is wonderful about knowing that animals feel pain and do need pain meds. Tibbs is still high. he had such a good run and then after the failed dose reduction, he has not come back down yet. i am trying a new vial of lantus. we'll see. Thanks so much for asking.
    hugs to you & noodle

13. Christianna

Christianna Member

Hi Nadine,
    Yep, you're right--most of us on the forum have taken the reins on what to do about our sugar kitties and vets are just a necessary participant once in awhile for the things we can't do. If I had access to medications myself, that would be another thing I could control, very judiciously of course. But unfortunately, I don't see any way around that :? I have pretty much blown through every vet in our small town and they all are inferior. Either they push Humulin or Vetsulin and have never heard of Lantus or Lev AND they're unwilling to even try to educate themselves, even when I would try to show them some of the research. They either have huge "don't question ME" egos or maybe they're lazy. Then there was one who tried to stop me, YEP, stop me, from home testing. His solution was to run Noodle down to his office 3-4 times a week to test his BG, at $22 a crack AND more importantly, stress Noodle so much that his BG would always be elevated. Idiot. So when I found this vet, who was very up-to-date on Lantus/Lev, very in favor of home testing, and didn't talk down to me, I was very happy. But we did have our first squabble about the pain meds so we'll see where things go from here. Trouble is, I'm running out of vets. :shock: If they gossip among themselves, I'm sure they all have something to say about me! :D
    I'm sorry to hear that Tibbs is still running high. Hopefully the new vial of Lantus will have just the right potency to bring him down. He sure had some good blue numbers for awhile so maybe the Lantus was going weak. Fingers and paws crossed for him; I know how worrisome this is. :?
    Hugs to you both,
    Christi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.