Anya's numbers??? Worried what to do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jenjen00, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenjen00

jenjen00 Member

Ok, I got my new meter and tested it and it was ok. I took anya's blood with it and her number is 327??? :eek: She has been peeing and it has been clear with very little scent. Should Icall my vet???

Jen nailbite_smile

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

that's to be expected. let me go back and read your prior threads to see what your info is as far as is she on insulin already? what kind? how much?

numbers like that are "normal" in the early weeks of this disease. don't panic ok :)

3. jenjen00

jenjen00 Member

She is on 3 units of Lantus twice a day. She was diagnosed back in June. I think the old meter was bad (so did the vet that is why we have a new one.) I am sorry if I sound a little panicky but I just worry about her you know how that goes. Thanks for the help you can give me.

jen

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

ok, i'm sure someone has already asked how you got up to 3 units so if you could reiterate that for us that would be helpful. often lantus is started too high or increased too quickly and ultimately what happens is kitty gets too much insulin, causing it to be difficult to get kitty regulated. i've called in some of the lantus users to get their input but more than likely you don't have enough data yet to determine if that is the case. it might also be suggested that you drop the dose back down while you can gather some useful data

5. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Have to echo what Cindy asked...how did you get up to 3U?

You have a meter now and it may be recommended to start over at 1U and monitor. It's possible you have already passed Anya's perfect dose by going from 2.5 to 3 (and we don't know how you got to 2.5).

More experience will be here soon :) Hang in there and try to remember to answer all of the questions heading your way.

6. jenjen00

jenjen00 Member

Dr started us out at 2 units in June and then has increased it by .5. At the first increase he only move the night time shot up to 3 units then about 2 or 3 weeks ago he bumped up the first shot to 3 units.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

What do you feed Anya?

Edited to add: Finally found your first post. The dry food at night could be keeping her numbers high. Any way to cut it out completely?

Also does she still have a UTI? That certainly can bring up BG levels.

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

9. jenjen00

jenjen00 Member

I feed her Fancy feast canned food. I can try to cut out the dry completely but I have 3 other cats and one does not like the wet food all that much.

I think she does have one but the vet wants me to collect a sample and bring it in.

10. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I have to agree there with Jen/Oreo and Sue/Oliver, if there is dry food that she is sneaking in, plus a possible UTI infection may be a factor in high numbers.

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi Jen.

I don't know if you had a chance to read through the thread (condo) you opened on the Lantus ISG yesterday. Ronnie provided the link. I think it will help to get a lot of Lantus user eyes on your question if you continue to post over in Lantus.

We generally base a starting dose of Lantus on a cat's ideal weight. The initial amount of insulin is based on the dosing protocol that we use. The amount usually calculates out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.0u. The dose is then usually increased or decreased in 0.25u increments. If Anya was diagnosed in June, I'm surprised that her dose was maintained at 2.0u for this long.

The good news here is that you are home testing. You've already noted that you need to do more testing daily. Please let us know how we can help.

If Anya has a UTI, collecting a sample at home is not a sterile sample and that's what you need. It would probably be best if the vet did a cytosentisis (i.e., used a needle to draw a urine sample) and did a culture and sensitivity (C & S) so your vet would know exactly which antibiotic to prescribe that was specific to the kind of bacteria causing the UTI. You can't do any of this with a home collected sample.

12. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

What was your first meter and do you have any numbers from when you used it?

Which meter are you using now?

Sorry there will be lots of questions thrown at you whilst everyone tries to work out where you are at.
    Do you test Anya's urine with ketodiastix? This tests for something called keytones and I think you need to monitor, particularly if you end up cutting Anya's dose.

You also need to consider cutting dose before eliminating dry food. Potentially that could be the only thing that isn't making her bg drop too low.

What is Anya's general behaviour like?
    Are there times in the day/night you ever notice her being more lethargic/more energetic?

Btw-Welcome to FDMB :mrgreen:

13. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

UTI should be tested in vet's office for a sterile sample--A tiny needle into the bladder doesnt hurt them & diagnosis can be made..
    A combination of dry food & UTi could be driving the numbers up like they are..
    Have a feeling that your cat could be doing a lot better, with proper food & checking the urine..
    Just listen to what is told to you here--We all have FD cats with a wealth of experience to offer you--The cats--It's all about Our Cats!
    We will help youDont worry, Moonie was in the 300"s & had a UTI when we came...She's doing great now..Welcome

14. jenjen00

jenjen00 Member

I am now using the Accu chek compact plus. I was using the Walgreens true result meter and the vet and I realized it did not work correctly. She still purrs a lot and will play for a little bit with the string I use. She does sleep but also will follow me around for a few mins at a time then goes back to sleep with her brother.
    I just purchased the strips to check for the ketones but have not had the chance to use them yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.