Anybody feeding EVO 95%

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sev, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I just picked up a case of the the 95% Turkey and Chicken.
    I have been feeding Wellness Turkey formula and Beef & Chicken formula. I switch to Merrick's Cowboy Cookout every few feedings. This also has vegetables added to it.
    The Evo has no vegetables and is only 2 carbs. It does have a higher fat to protein ratio though.
    I was wondering if anybody has ever noticed a difference when switching to a food the does not have vegetables added to it.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

i did for a while but my kitties quit eating it

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

i stopped using it when i discovered several cans had visible potato chunks in it. i contacted the company sent them the chunks and cans and they told me i was mistaken.

i returned everything and never used it since

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

It was Wellness that I had potato problems with ---

5. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    I'll keep an eye on it.

However what I was getting at is did anybody see any changed in the glucose numbers when using it?

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Tiggy had great numbers on it, and it smells great to ME.

Unfortunately, it was "too healthy" or something - my cats would just nibble at it and I hated throwing away uneaten food.

7. Pam & Alley

Pam & Alley Member

I switched to EVO 95% in the last couple of months because of the low Phosphorus content... 155, and low carbs, my guys love it.

8. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Not sure if Kitty likes it. I have been adding probiotics to his food due to being on Antibiotics from the teeth cleaning. I am pretty sure its changing the flavor of the food.

Blue seems to like it though so that is fine if Kitty does not. It will still cut my food costs.

9. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I tried switching to it. All the cats but one really liked it. It came out of both ends of Smokey in a bad way pretty bad and Avie - who has never been a puker - was also vomiting after it being one of the food choices for 2 meals so I did not buy any more. It seemed really greasy and that seemed to lead to stomach upset on the cats.

10. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Looks like it has a lot of gluten in it.
    I noticed Blue Wilderness did as well.

I am going to see if they can get the Turkey and Chicken Formula which has a lot higher protein ratio. 33% vs 25% that 95% C&T has.

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

to answer your question, Maui's bg's were good when on it. It's so low in carb that it helped her a lot.

12. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I fed it to Kitty last night and he rolled out to +20 in the 100's. He has been going long lately on 1 shot. His nadir was actually @ + 15 and was 88.

13. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

My cats have tried the Evo 95% and they only like it occasionally. Hard to keep them on it for long. I did notice that BG were lower with it though, but not by much. I use the Fancy feast Turkey Kitten pate- it is also 0 carbs.

I found a new food out the other day it is Pruina One smart blend- Clasiic Turkey or Chicken Recipe. I ran the numbers on the sweetkitties carb calulator and it showed 6.81 carbs for any flavor . My cats love it.

lori

14. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Bandit ate this for a while, but he didn't do so well on it because of the higher fat content. It upset his stomach at times and I dealt with a lot of runny poo. He did better healthwise on Fancy Feast than the EVO 95%. He eats the lower carb Merricks now (cowboy cookout, surf n turf, grammy's pot pie, turducken). He definitely prefers Fancy Feast or Merrick's to EVO.

I wouldn't worry about the vegetable content in the Merricks...as long as they're not one of the main ingredients, they're not going to hurt anything. I've tried many different kinds of foods with Bandit and he definitely thrives on the Merricks much better than he did on EVO 95%, Wellness, or Nature's Variety. He's thinned to a perfect size, gained muscle, and his coat is just beautiful. I think this is because of the higher protein, lower fat content of Merricks compared to the other premium foods. If Merricks suddenly went out of business tomorrow, I don't know what I'd do--the other premium foods are too high in fat, and the non-premium foods that have good protein/fat ratios are too high in phosphorus.

That said, every cat is different. Some cats tolerate higher fat better than others.

As for the carb content, I don't think it makes much of a difference whether there is 0% carbs or 4% carbs once you get down that far (less than 7%). That low, the effect of a lower percentage point or three on BG is going to be negligible.

15. RenaRF

RenaRF Member

Not specific to diabetic cats per se, I moved all four of my non-diabetic cats off of Evo when they were bought by Procter & Gamble. P&G notoriously uses low-cost production, which usually means that food is formulated and canned in China (though they wouldn't confirm this when I called). I just simply don't trust pet foods that come from China, period, so I switched my four non-diabetics to Go! Chicken, Turkey & Duck grain free.

Just my $.02 - others may have great experiences with Evo.

Rena

16. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Def like the numbers on the Merrick the best. Unfortunately they do not make large cans and the price at the moment make it impossible for me to feed it constantly. So I rotate foods.

17. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

May have discovered a nice combination for Kitty.

1.5 oz Cowboy Cookout.
    1.5 oz Evo 95%
    2 teaspoons of fresh turkey broth.

I thought he was going to jump through the bowl. :smile:

18. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I was wondering about that food since I saw it recently also. Do you happen to know the protien and fat %?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.