Anybody home in here?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Kathy and Kitty, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Kitty and I just graduated from Lantus Land, on April 30. We're thrilled, and we LOVE the sleeping in, no-schedule, no-stick part. But we always thought there were real condos at the Falls, and instead it seems like everyone goes happily about their pre-diabetes lives.

I still have questions...how often should I test, for example? Do kitties act differently?

So... any honeymooners care to chat? :D

2. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

Terrific job. Your dedication really payed off! Amazing how consistent the numbers are post October. :shock:

Congrats!

3. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

Congrats!! flip_cat

Test as much as you feel comfortable with. As time goes on, you'll probably end up testing less and less because you'll be confident in your little OTJ kitty. Do they act different? Well each kitty is different - but my Peeps was just so happy not to get poked all the time! She still cringes when I get her testing supplies out (almost 2 years later), but other than her new condition, she is still a happy little kitty.

It is quite a strange feeling not to have insulin in the fridge, and extra needles collecting dust - but it truly is a good thing!

Welcome back to the world of weekend laziness (if you so choose)!

4. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks for responding, Steve and Michele! Definitely not complaining -- but I think I'm going through a little bit of Lantus Land withdrawal.

And I want to do the right things. The Anti-Jinx sentiment is so strong that no one talks about what happens after going OTJ. I used to feed Kitty at +2 after every shot, but with no +2, I'm not quite sure when to feed him (so I'm free-feeding), or when to poke him.

BTW, Steve, Kitty did stay green for months as we reduced his dose -- and then, naturally, he went BLUE at the very end and scared the heck out of me.

I guess I just wanted to know there are others out here in paradise with me. :D Thanks!

5. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

I'm not supposed to be in here just yet, but am only visiting hoping to learn a little bit. :D

6. Kathy and Kitty

Blue has been keeping you on your toes! Sorry he has had so many challenging health issues.

There are several people dealing with food and other allergies; have you been in touch with them? I've been so buried in my OTJ trial that I haven't seen anything else going on.

I will keep posting my numbers on my spreadsheet. Good suggestion.

I do not think that visiting this forum is a violation of the anti-jinx rules. :mrgreen:

7. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

Yes, those URI's and allergies can thrown the numbers off a bit, but as long as I recognize what is happening I think we will be OK. It could be worse - and he didn't go too high for long and his meds are effective.

Even if people don't constantly post numbers when their kitty is off the juice, being able to access the SS's for reference as they go off is important to many of us I would think. Thanks.

Hopefully I'll be here 'not visiting' soon, but much too early to think/talk about that. :mrgreen:

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Kathy and Kitty. Congratulations on being OTJ!!! I have nothing to add to the responses you have received, except "welcome to the falls."

9. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

Kathy, I have been free feeding Peeps since she went OTJ. The other two were ready to murder their human for taking away their food... If you can only just see the bottom of a kitty dish in this house, there is a revolt and lots of screaming!

10. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Kathy.. as you know Baby is recently OTJ too! YAY! :mrgreen:
    I think I am opposite of most people.. "testaholics" I am not at all. I plan to test Baby once a week & hopefully go to less than that. I never did like poking her & I just see no reason to put her through that when it is not necessary. I used to free feed, but since OTJ Trial.. I feed about every 4 hours ;-) I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.. it is just easier for me because Baby eats a Raw Diet 90% she is on canned Wellness when I am at work.

11. Kathy and Kitty

Hi, Nicole! I am so, so happy for you and Baby! :RAHCAT

I have tested once in the last week -- 75!! :D I am also NOT a testaholic. I always hated it. I just steeled myself to do what I had to. I will have to push myself to test once a week.

Being OTJ is fantastically wonderful -- sleeping! not poking! -- but it's strange too. I'm staring at the kitty just as much, wondering exactly why he's doing what he's doing, and how he's feeling, only there's no place to post it! I also find I'm starting to think more about other health issues that I put aside to focus on his diabetes management, like arthritis.

But I guess we're supposed to get used to life outside of Lantus Land, and hang out on Health to encourage other newbies.

As for food: Kitty just does NOT like his food -- the new FF. I added 9 Lives, but he doesn't love that either. I just gave him some Evo 95% mixed with the FF, and he liked that better. :YMSIGH:

Give Baby a big hug for me. (And I love all your photos!)

12. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hey Kathy! Nicole told me you had posted over here. I didn't think there was anyone hanging out over here. :mrgreen:

13. Nicole & Baby

Kathy.. thank you for the kind words.. give kitty a big hug from us too :YMHUG:
    I am happy to hear that I am not the only one forcing myself to test.. we are just alike there for sure.. I just don't want to put Baby through it unless there are symptoms, I will force once a week too.. then hopefully once a month! I agree, being OTJ is a blessing.. life is liveable again ;-)

Like I said to Paige.. I think it just takes someone to start posting here to get this forum going.. so I am going to give Baby a condo here throughout the week.. I cannot do one daily.. but am going to start as much as I can!

Have a great weekend Kathy, Kitty, Paige & Webber!! :mrgreen:

14. Kathy and Kitty

Hi, Paige, Hi, Nicole!

Maybe there hasn't been much going on in here because, until recently, there were only one or two OTJ parties a month. But now there are enough of us recent "graduates" to have a conversation! :D

I think there's a little grey area between being ON the juice and OFF the juice. In other words, just because they're OTJ doesn't mean there's nothing to say. :lol:

I used to hold the plate for Kitty; then after he went OTJ, I stopped, and he didn't eat at the same times. So I worried that he wasn't eating enough. (You may remember, I always find something to worry about!)

I'll stop by here regularly too. Nice to see you both!

15. Olliecat

Olliecat Member

WOO HOO OTJ PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SEE TWO NEWBIES IN HERE THAT ARE NOW OTJ!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!! PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    drinking24
    party_cat
    :RAHCAT
    drinking09
    dancing_cat

And besides all that, I'll jump right into the test/no test discussion... I figure everyone can test as much or as little as they feel necessary - after all, no one knows their babies better than the one that has been administering and nursing for however long it has taken to get to the OTJ party. I still test occasionally after testing daily long enough for me to feel comfortable that Ollie was staying green. I fill out my sheet every now and again to catch up - I definitely think the spreadsheets are invaluable! After knowing the difference between how great Ollie acts now from how he acted when I was shooting him up I think I'd be able to tell pretty easily now if he started spiking again.

Good for all of you new honeymooners - this is one place where we may not post a lot but definitely LOVE to hang out in!

16. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

Kathy and Kitty,

Congratulations on being OTJ! I know what you mean about feeling withdrawals. When AJ went OTJ, I still got up thinking I had to shoot him. It was weird not to have to do it. I still keep a spreadsheet for AJ and I test him around every 2 weeks or so, unless he gives me a high number. Then I'll test a little more often because I freak out. AJ's been OTJ for 8 months now. Can't believe it. That first week he was diagnosed was the longest week of my life. Oh, and his 11th birthday is tomorrow, so he gets extra Halo chicken treats!!

Welcome to honeymoon land. It's a good place to be! dancing_cat

Becky and AJ

17. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks, Becky! And congrats to you on EIGHT months. What a beautiful thing that is.

I have to say, being OTJ is wonderful. I took to it immediately!

I plan to update his spreadsheet, so that others coming up can see what an OTJ cat's variations look like.

Happy Birthday, AJ!

18. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I just poked my head through the door over here and found.. CONVERSATION!!!! :D

We are enjoying our recent OTJ too! At first I tested Smokey more frequently because SHE seemed confused without it and would sit by her testing supplies on the counter.

Now I test her when something is out of the ordinary like we've been gone for a while, she doesn't want to eat, or she's being really really loud and obnoxious (that was a sign of a blue during trial).

Now I MUST be letting them outside. Thats one change with Smokey. She's always liked being outside, but would come wandering out a while after she heard us go out with Peanut and run in at the first noise or wind. Now Smokey stands sentenial at the patio door howling to go out and she's the last hold-out when its time to come in. Right now she is refusing lunch 'cause she wants out. I keep telling her she will get a poke if she doesn't eat...

Glad to see everyone's time at the falls is going well flip_cat

19. Kathy and Kitty

Hi, Melanie! It's time we all hung out together here at the Falls!

These behavior changes are curious things. Not harmful, just different -- for no perceptive reason.

Kitty never, ever waited by the testing table. He has stopped being wary of my approach. :D

20. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

kathy, you're supposed to be working! :)

21. Kathy and Kitty

I am highly distractable. :mrgreen:

22. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Guys
    Marvie told me you were hanging out here.
    Maybe we sould start a daily condo and we can all post in it and have one big chat per day.
    I'll be back later.
    Just wanted to let you know I miss everyone and will catch up to speed after dinner.

23. bettyandhank

YAYyyyyyyyyyyyyyy RANDI's HERE :RAHCAT

24. Kathy and Kitty

I like the idea of one big condo. That way we could all be updated whenever anyone says anything. I could be distracted from working that much more often! :lol:

'Night all.

25. Nicole & Baby

Let me know what anyone decides! I have given Baby a few condos here & I do miss everyone!!

26. bettyandhank

I think one big condo per day could work for just cat chatting..But in some cases, specific topics could end up buried in the thread. The title wouldn't call attention to or be reflective of the individual conversation. For general exchange a communal condo might work...if for just sharing the day to day. We might not each need our own condo every single day. But certain topics may need their own specific thread and subject line to catch people's eyes.

But I miss everybody and mainly just so glad to have a place to come see you all & report in.

27. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

HI guys!!! Randi told me about this area, so glad I found everyone! Woo hoo! I love it, let's chat in here that is cool!!!!!! At least here we can post about our furbabies and discuss all the fun otj stuff!!!! I didn't even know this existed until Randi told me. Now I am excited again, I missed chatting with everyone!
    BTW- I am still keeping Scrabble on the same feeding schedule as before and I am still testing once a day for right now. Happy Sunday everyone!

28. bettyandhank

Hi Michelle-

I LOVE Scrabble's new photo. He's such a looker.

i think maybe we need a new thread..this one's getting Loooooooooong. (started May 4)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.