Anyone around? How much insulin to give?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kays8cats, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi,

I tested Elmo just now and his bg was 258. I sometimes do not test before giving and I am glad that I did this am.

He has been on PZI compounded from the pharmacy U100 - 2 units BID since 4/11/10. I am sure its U100 thats the way the pharmacy makes it, see posts below.

???? is.....

Should I give him one unit? or half?

His BG before shot last pm was 425 the highest its ever been and then at + 3 hours it was down to 253 .

I was not able to test anymore last pm so I am wondering if it went down more and then only back up to 258 that it is just now.

From the past 2-3 days he seems to be peaking at 5-7 hours at BG anywhere from 109 to 200 and drops atleast 150points pre shot at about 320-340 when I do test.

Thanks

2. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

I am going to give him 1/2 a unit to be on the safe side....

3. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

My Oscar usually runs in the mid 200's for shots, but even in your case - 258 is still a very shootable full dose number. If he isn't dropping into double digits usually, I would still try giving the usual dose to see where it brings him. It might just be that you are starting to get a little bit of overlap, which is something you want as long as it is a rising number.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, that makes sense to me to drop the dose down on the lower PS and get some data to give you confidence of what dose to give next time you see that PS. Usually with PZI you don't have to drop all that much on lower PS - often just 0.2u or so is sufficient, but at long as he is doing reasonably well and does not have any ketones, my view is that it it fine to try a slightly lower dose for your own comfort level and for data collecting.

Do you have a spreadsheet you can post with all the data you have so far? That will help people a lot in giving you advice.

6. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks,

I just tested him again at + 6 1/2 hours and he is 362!!!

UGH... I am getting frustrated and must do a curve on him to see what is going on on a day when I am not working.

I wound up giving him one unit so I do not know if he dropped low and back up or did not drop much.......???

I do not have a spreadsheet but will get one on here and fill it out.

Thanks so much everyone u would think I would get the hang of this being that Elmo is my 3rd diabetic cat :(

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

From the #s you posted it sounded like the 2u might be working fairly well for him and he could perhaps tolerate a slightly higher dose (nadirs in low/mid 100s, PSs in low/mid 300s if I understood right). I'd be hesitant to say for sure without more data, but my guess would be that the 1u was not enough. It is just a guess though. If you can get in a partial or full curve and/or regular PSs and a spot test every day or two when it fits in your schedule, that should help you evaluate.

Maybe it gets easier by cat #10? :lol: I know with my kitty the picture keeps changing, and every time I think I know what I'm doing something changes and I am back to the drawing board!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.