Anyone familiar with Oxyfresh oral hygiene solution?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kryskat, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

My girl, Kasha, is getting a dental today and they normally send you home with some of this stuff to put in their water. My vet tech said I could use it if I want, but she's not sure about it or how it works. I've tried to google some info and reviews on it, but I can't get to a lot of sites from work. I would sure appreciate if someone were willing to share their experience with this or anything similar...

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

My vet sells it, but I did not want to put anything in the water. I use the Oxyfresh Pet Gel on a qtip. Its sold by independent distributors. From what I hear, these distributors are supposed to charge what Oxyfresh wants them to..however I have found the Pet Gel cheap on Ebay before.

Oh and I went to a cat show once where they had a booth and the woman there said you can put it directly in the water but its easier to measure if you have a gallon jug of water and put it in the gallon, and then use the gallon to fill the water bowls.. the amount of solution each bowl would get is very small.

Supposedly it has an oxygenating effect, which kills anaerobic bacteria..bacteria that lives in places with not much oxygen like the cats mouth.

janeway has Chronic gingivitis and her mouth is always a bit better when I am more diligent about applying the Oxyfresh Gel. I usually alternate between the Gel one day and the CET Toothpaste the next.

I have also used the gel on mild scrapes on the cats skin.

Oxyfresh started out as a people product company I believe, and they sell many products for people too.

3. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Be sure to check the ingrediets.

My vet sent some home with me but when I read the label, I found it contained sorbitol, so I couldn't/wouldn't give it to the cats.

4. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

The ingredients are:

Deionized Water (Aqua), Oxygene® (Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide), Zinc Acetate, Sodium Citrate, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid

I'm kind of worried about the main ingredient - chlorine dioxide - wondering what effect that might have on borderline kidney issues. I give the kitties filtered water so that they don't have a lot of chlorine and fluoride to contend with (yes, the filter I use is supposed to remove at least some of the fluoride) cuz that's supposed to be hard on kidneys... So it seems a little counter-intuitive to put chlorine back in it... But I don't know much about chlorine dioxide...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.