Anyone have Experience with Young Again Zero Carb?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marciegee, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Hey everyone,

My husband and I's work schedules are in flux for the next few weeks, which is going to make mid-day snacks and meals really hard. (This whole month has been a bit of a logistical nightmare, but that is for another board! ;) )

I have seen a few people on these forums talk about Young Again Zero Carb food, so I asked the company for a couple samples to try on Moby. He LOVES the food and it caters to his snackage style of eating.

Anyway, I am glad he liked the food and am also glad it's no carbs, but every pamphlet and info PDF they send me STRONGLY INSISTS I give up all other foods as this will increase his chances of remission. For the record, any THIS IS THE WAY TO GO claims lead me to a place of squinty-eyed skepticism. I don't like the idea of giving up his wet food for dry food alone.

Regardless, I bought a 4lb pound to try for his midday meals and we'll see how his levels react.

Does anyone have experience with this food? We currently feed a mix of Wellness Core, Wellness Chicken and Turkey, Fancy Feast Classic turkey & giblets, and are trying Lotus as well because that food doesn't have as much starch as regular Wellness does. And yes, we have to rotate foods because Moby gets bored and is snotty about food.

I am also interested in anyone who has fed ZiwiPeak, as well. I gave him a sample of that but he had a hard time getting it into his mouth (which made for an amusing video)... but he seemed to like it.

Thanks all!

2. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

I fed mine 1 TBS, yes TBS a day lol I have for the past year. My cats love it, diabetic or not. I also feed mine Holistic Select canned food. Dry food is not recommended because it is high carbs (besides the diabetic friendly ones) but more so the other health issues it can cause. I think they suggest only feeding theres because it would be easier to monitor any improvement. I would continue what your doing and NOT going 100% dry.

Also, as to the ziwipeak, I was feeding mine that but I have 3 cats and it got pricey QUICK! But if your cat s having a hard time eating it try adding some water to it. I already add water to every meal anyways now, but that helped a lot for mine since it was "thicker"

If feeding times are an issue you might want to look into a timed feeder. The petsfae 5 has been a life saver for me. When Hidey was on insulin I was feeding him 5 times a day, so it definitely came in handy, especially the 1 am feedings lol Since Hidey is in remission I feed him 3 times a day. Still use the petsafes and love them.

mirnta likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Pop over to Cat Info to read Dr Pierson's take on feline nutrition. Most of us feed low carb canned or raw exclusively, and I leave the canned food out for 12 hours at a time with no problems.

4. mirnta

mirnta Member

I just started young again, along with the canned wet food, because I'm having a hard time going exclusively wet right now..he likes it a lot..not sure yet how it will affect his numbers but I'll let ya know..

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Is your snacking concern that you don't have food to leave out that they can eat? Or that they will eat it "before snack time"?

Some things you can do that are a better option than dry food:

1) freeze the canned food - add water to it and freeze in plastic bag, ice cube tray, etc - once frozen you can put into container and store. It typically takes a couple of hours for frozen food to thaw and be nice and fresh and ready for the eating.

2) use timed feeders - again you can do this with canned or frozen canned food and it ensures the cats get their food served when you want it served

3) if you must use a dry food type product - rather than using actual dry food/kibbles - serve freeze dried raw food instead - Stella & Chewy's makes a freeze dried raw food - and while it's intended to add water, I just put in bowl and serve it dry. My cats love it (ok one likes to play with it and knock it around the house), but it satisfies that desire they have for dry (as my girl was a kibble addict) and it's low carb, healthy and safe to serve and leave out.

There are other freeze dried raw food options you can try. I personally, just use Stella & Chewy's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.