? Anyone Have Knowledge of "Pouty Mouth"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaineLove, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Our Civie cat, Joy, has pouty mouth or fat chin (eosinophilic granuloma complex). It supposedly is caused by some allergen. She has a bamboo dish and a ceramic water bowl. She just transitioned from Hill's Z/D (which I believe was the beginning of her drooling and pouty chin) to Wellness Chicken. The new food has been successful in greatly reducing her skin breakouts, but the chin issue remains although the original lump under her chin has gone away. The vet suggested cyclosporine but I was hoping it would go away on it's own (wishful thinking). Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, Kathe

2. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Wondering if you've tried any topical steroids and/or antihistamines for it. I believe the most common treatments involve steroids with secondary antibiotics if necessary, and then they go to cyclosporine and other immunosuppressives.

3. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Trying to avoid steroids because Joy is Coral's daughter and Coral developed diabetes. What antihistamines would you suggest? Joy does not have any infection. Thanks, Me. :) for your response, Kathe

4. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Hmm.. well, have you tried Benedryl? I know some people on here use it for their kitties, and it might be a good first shot since it has a bit more of a systemic effect than some of the newer antihistamines. Maybe seeing if your vet can recommend one before the cyclo would be good? I would try an antihistamine for at least a week or two before going to the more hardcore meds. Just my 2 cents...​

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Discuss dosing of these with your vet, please.

Critter Mom and SpecklesandMe like this.
  6. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Will check with the vet on alternatives. Thanks

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Our vet prescribed the anti-histamine Piriton for Saoirse.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  8. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Kathe

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.