Anyone in my area?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KaySpiess, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

My lil Bello has been diagnosed with diabetes, and goes in Monday July 14th for his Glucose Curve and insulin regiment. I want to switch him to a low-carb wet diet, but he has never eaten wet food, always just ignores it, so I know it will take a while. I am terrified of over-medicating him during this change, and really dont understand the testing and when you know to give him the shot etc. etc. I was wondering if there was anyone in PA who could help me. Show me how to do the test, what to buy, read the numbers and change the dose accordingly. The thought of screwing up scares me so much I almost just want to give him his shots as the vet describes and feed him his Purina DM dry, but I know that is not what is best for him and I'd love to try and get him into remission. Any help? nailbite_smile

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

where in PA are you located? so that we may better help you.

what insulin are you using?
    what dose?
    did you purchase a meter yet?

Have you seen this site - www.catinfo.org -- on here is a food chart list as well as tips/tricks on how to transition a cat to wet food.

and don't worry, we can help you.

3. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

I just found out about this yesterday, and have been working all weekend so I have not had the chance to purchase a meter yet, I hear I should ask for Lantus, and I've been doing soooo much reading it all just kinda melds together and I feel overwhelmed. I have read catinfo.org, and the ways to transition a cat. He is under the category of a dry food addict lol All he ever does is drink the water from the food and never touches the meat.
    And Im in Schuylkill County.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

what city/town are you located. I know the Schuykill River, never heard of county, so not really sure where exactly it is - reading? scranton? etc?

Maui was a dry food addict and it took several weeks to transition her to wet food and then it turned out my civvie Buster who ate canned food became the huge problem.

What canned food are you using?

If you use a pate style food, you can add water to it to make it mushier or not add water and keep it more solid. With Buster I had to put kibbles on top of the canned food to get her to eat and even push the dry pieces into the canned in order to get her to eat both. I counted the number of kibbles she could have and slowly reduced it one kibble at a time.

Another cheat you could try that seems to work for Buster is a freeze dried raw food product made by Stella & Chewy's. http://www.petfood.com/item/stella-and- ... od/498360/

it comes in several flavors and you may find this is a good transition food. The intent is to add water, but mine prefer it dry.

Lantus is an excellent insulin. The other choices are Levimer or Prozinc. Whichever insulin you choose, please take the time to read the stickies/starred information on the Insulin support group pages. and yes, there is a lot of info and it is overwhelming. but again no worries, we can help you to understand it and the how, when and whys...

5. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

He was being fed 9 Lives Essential Plus dry, but then he stopped eating for nearly a week and just started again yesterday when he came back from the vet ( he had a bacterial infection in his urine as well) but he only seems to want the Purina DM dry I have not had a chance to try and feed him wet yet, I was thinking Wellness or the fancy feast low-carbs I've seen suggested. And Im in Pottsville. Should I just go ahead with the vets instructions? Such as feed him his Purina DM and give him his shots until I buy a glucose meter and learn to change the dosages accordingly. I dont even know how to read it and what that means for the insulin ): He is also 16 lbs so he is only allowed to have a total of 1/2 cup a day of dry food, a little bit more if it seems like he really needs it.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

what insulin were you given?

while yes, you can give insulin without testing, the problem with that is you are taking a risk because he could drop low and have a hypo episode and you would not necessarily know it, as they do not always show symptoms.

Do you have a walmart nearby? If you do, go out now and buy a relion meter, matching test strips, lancets (which are the pokey things to test with) that match the lancet device and are 26-29 gauge (the lower the number the thicker the needle). When starting you want a thicker gauge in order to help the ear to bleed better.

also buy ketostix and neosporin (or generic brand) ointment with pain relief.

We can help you learn how to test tonight, if you want.

Feeding the prescription food is not feeding low carb, it is expensive and not better quality.

You are much better off feeding fancy feast cans - buy the classic pate style - as they are low carb, then feeding any dry food, even the prescription.

you can return the prescription to the vet for a refund.

until your cat is regulated on insulin, the food needs is much higher than 1/2 cup of dry food, or even 1 can of wet food.

you said he stopped eating for a week, was that just the dry or all food? did you take him to vet? what did vet say?

a cat that isn't eating is a bad sign as other issues can happen and it is important to get them to eat. Pancreatitis for example, is a painful condition that can cause a cat to stop eating and it takes a lot to get them back on food.

When Maui started this process, she could eat 2-3 cans of Fancy feast (which is 3 ounces per can) three times a day.

as she got regulated and her bg' (blood glucose levels) came down, she did not need as much food as before.

feeding several smaller meals each day is better than just feeding one or two large meals. this will help keep the bg from spiking too much.

7. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Yes he was taken to the vet, and this is how I found out he was diabetic. Since he's never fed wet food, it was the dry he was not eating. I have already used the prescription food, since when I was holding the bag and reading it he started meowing, he seems to only want to eat the prescription food right now..I wonder if I got a bad batch of his normal food....
    Anyway, I was told to only feed him up to a 1/2 cup a day. And he has not been started on insulin yet, Monday is when he goes in for his Glucose Curve and they figure this stuff out.
    I cant get to walmart right now because I do not drive lol
    So...I should just feed him a cup a day or something for now? I really havent gotten too much information from my vet on this whole process. I know she said he was showing signs of fatty liver from not eating, and had a bacterial infection from all the sugar in his urine. And since he finished his food, he is drinking more water. Just gave him some of the vets food mixed in with his old to help the transition, he is eating again.

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

it is most important that he eat.

when you can get canned food and start introducing it. if you do that now BEFORE giving insulin, you may find that you may not need to use insulin at all.

If you can reduce/remove the dry food, do that as soon as you can - it will be a challenge, think of it like giving up potato chips and how it's hard to eat just one.

taking your cat to the vet to do an all day curve is honestly a waste of money and will not give you true readings for the vet to determine insulin and dose.

I say this because vet stress, not being in home environment all can artificially inflate the bg numbers and your vet may suggest too high a starting dose as a result.

The only test you really need the vet to do is a fructosamine test - which tests the BG average over a two week period. this helps to determine if the cat is diabetic or not.

You also mentioned that he was sick and not eating - all that can contribute to high bg numbers and once that is resolved, you may not actually have a diabetic.

I suggest the following:

1) start as soon as possible feeding low carb canned food only - fancy feast classic pates are fine to use

continuing to feed dry food will only prolong the problem and if you can get him to eat wet food, do that, it is better for him in the long run and the immediate.

and please feed him more than 1/2 cup of food, that is like you only being allowed to eat a snack size bag of chips and nothing else all day long - is that enough food for you? is it healthy?

2) get someone to take you to walmart - even order online for quick and easy pick up tomorrow and let us help you learn how to home test

by doing these two things it may be enough that insulin is not even needed

3) don't waste your money by taking the cat for a curve or to "get regulated" - you can do this at home yourself and it is actually the best place to do it. and honestly don't get hung up on the necessity of doing a curve - I never did one on Maui.

for your understanding all a curve is - is taking bg tests every two hours over a 12 hour period.

9. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Okay, well what should his BG level be? I'll will to pick one up tomorrow and before work get wet food and try to implement it. I was just afraid of not getting the insulin, if he could get sick again. But I could wait a week I guess and test from home instead.
    I DO know that before he wasnt eating he was drinking A LOT of water, and even know he is drinking a lot, I heard that was pretty much a side-affect of diabetes.
    But what about all the sugar in his urine that caused the infection? (Is this Ketone) Isnt that dangerous and also a symptom of diabetes? He is an overweight cat, and was also given a shot to clear up the infection.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

ketones an be dangerous as it can lead to DKA - this is why I said to pick up ketostix so you can test the urine for ketones. be sure to give lots of water to help flush out any ketones.

what shot did the cat get? if it was convenia - please read this about convenia - http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia

and decide for yourself if you should allow this going forward. unfortunately you can't undo it now, but please be aware for the future.

regarding to give or not give insulin - if his numbers are up there, yes you want to give insulin and in the next couple days, with testing you will start to know if insulin is needed. Tomorrow is Sunday and you can start testing tomorrow and MOnday and see if the food change helps -

Dry food can stay in the system for several days, keep bg's elevated. Infection can also increase BG levels.

Normal BG levels for a cat is 40 - 120 -- with most of the time 100 or less - Maui who is in remission usually is between 60-80. which is perfect for a cat not on insulin

this link should help too - http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Blood ... guidelines

11. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Okay, when is the best time to during the day to do the glucose kit.

12. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

We always suggest testing before every insulin shot. This is so you know the number is high enough to give the insulin.

We usually suggest not giving your cat a shot if the BG (blood glucose) number is below 200. That is our shoot/no shoot threshold here on the
    Feline Health forum. The ISG's have a lower number. Let's use that 200 for now while we gather some data.

Then you want to get some tests in the middle of the cycle. Around the +5 to +7 timeframe. We think in + hours because we live in all different timezones around the world.

Your morning test before the shot is called the AMPS (am pre-shot).
    Your evening test before the shot is called the PMPS (pm pre-shot).
    One hour after those tests would be +1, 2 hours after would be +2, 5 and a half hour after would be +5.5, etc.

Make sense to you?

A test at night is a good idea. A last test before you go to bed is a good idea. If you are not testing at night, you are missing half your data. Many cats go lower at night so we want an idea of how low.

So to sum up the testing suggestions
    1. AMPS
    2. mid day in the +5 to +7 hour range
    3. PMPS
    4. before bed test.

How does that sound to you?

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

And while not on insulin, you can still follow the test times that Deb laid out for you.

The 200 threshold is just a safety guideline when starting on insulin, say for the first week on insulin. Once you get the hang of testing and giving insulin, this guideline is removed as the goal is to be able to shoot (give insulin) in lower numbers. That's all this means, don't think it means you can NEVER shoot if below 200, as that is incorrect it. It's just a built in safety to help you get comfortable with the process.

Make sense?

14. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Some cats like the prescription food at first and then get sick of it. Plus its expensive, so you might want to transition him to the fancy feast classic pates, wellness grain free or friskies pates like Hillary said.

Also did you buy the meter yet? Shopping list:

1. Meter ie Walmart Relion Confirm or Micro.
    2. Matching strips
    3. Lancets - little sticks to poke the ear to get blood . new members usually start with a larger gauge lancet such as 28g or 29g until the ear learns to bleed. Optional - lancing tool.
    4. Cotton balls to stem the blood
    5. Neosporin or Polysporin ointment with pain relief to heal the wound
    6. Mini flashlight (optional) - useful to help see the ear veins in dark cats, and to press against
    7. Ketone urine test strips ie ketodiastix - Important to check ketones when blood is high
    8. Sharps container - to dispose of waste syringes and lancets.
    9. Treats for the cat - like freeze dried chicken
    10. Karo syrup/corn syrup or honey if you dont have it at home - for hypo emergencies to bring blood sugar up fast
    11. A couple of cans of fancy feast gravy lovers or other high carb gravy food- for hypo emergencies to bring blood sugar up fast

15. Deb & Wink

A little summary of information for Bello.

Kay & sugardude Bello (male, 16#, age ?)
    Insulin: not until vet curve on Monday Meter: Relion Micro
    Health issues: UTI, signs of Hepatic Lipidosis,
    Medications: Convenia antibiotic given 7/??
    PA, Schuylkill County, Pottsville
    9 Lives Essential Plus dry, Purina DM dry - 16# so vet says only 1/2C dry a day

If you get a prescription for Lantus, there is a savings program from the manufacturer and Target has been known to sell single pens. Lantus savings card program. First 6 prescriptions for the Solostar pens are $25.

When you see your vet, ask for a prescription for the Lantus Solostar pens and insulin needles - 3/10 cc, 5/16" or 1/2" needle length, 29-31 gauge, with 1/2 unit markings on the syringe barrel.

16. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Okay i got the relion micro meter and test strips, ketotine strips and he is AMAZINGLY loving the fancy feast, I gave him half a can and he just gobbled up half of that. Should I test him now? Or wait a certain amount after he eats?

17. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Yay. Ok here are some testing tips. .. Have a read and give it a go! Sme cats can take longer than others depending if they are bleeders or not, but the ear learns to bleed over time even if not. Give it three tries and try again later if unsuccessful. And remember the treat every time.

Key things from the link below..
    1. Make sure the ear is warm
    2. Have a good size lancet (but you can try with a smaller one if that's all you have)
    3. Something hard behind the ear to push against like a pill bottle lid
    4. Always give a treat even when unsuccessful

Here's more tips.. https://docs.google.com/document/d/13c_CPZVKz27fD_6aVbsguadJKvjSrSAkD7flgPPhEag/pub

18. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Well its not looking good. He just started eating low-carb today, but the meter read 316 O_O

19. Deb & Wink

Wow, that was a fast first BG test! Congratulations! Welcome to the vampire club!

It's ok. That 316 is not a horrible number. It could have been up in the 500's or 600's. Sure, you want to see it lower but that will take time.

We'll support you along the way.

Attached Files:

20. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Ya it took a couple tries cause I couldnt seem to stick him lol I think I was being waaay to gentle fearing I'd hurt him, but then I did it! He took it surprisingly well, obviously didnt like it lol but he did good and is munching away now :D Now what I want to know is, should I take him in for his glucose curve tomorrow? Or give him a week on the low-carb diet and see how his glucose is then? He still eats a lil dry food/ right now he's alternating bites lol
    And Im not sure how the BG Level = insulin amount. How will I know how much to lower his insulin or raise based on the numbers?
    I do feel MUCH better being able to have a bit more control and knowledge in this. My vet didnt really get a chance to go into detail with whatd I'd be dealing with haha

21. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Unless his ketones are high, then definitely take him?

22. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Good job! It can take a day or two to see the difference when using a low carb food. .. But it doesnt help you are still giving dry food. can you get him off that asap?

for testing, Try a few spot checks through the day, ie before and maybe 1-2 hours after food to see how he does. Then if he doesn't come down in a week, you will need to start insulin. We can advise dose... Initial dose is based on the cats weight, how much does he weigh?

Did you buy urine ketone test strips?

Wendy

23. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

He is a whopping 16 pounds, Im unsure how much to feed him at each interval and how often in order to put him on a safe track to loosing weight.
    Did buy a ketone test, and he drinks a lot of water, so I should be able to get one in tonight, I heard puttin a garbage bag over the litter box and hopefully that will catch some pee lol He'd be used to that since he used to always drag bags into his box anyway :lol:
    Since yous dont think his glucose is TOO bad I feel safe keeping him home for a week, unless Ketones are high. I have to read the instructions for this test so I know whats high...

24. Deb & Wink

You'll get more accurate BG test numbers if you test at home.

Options
    1. Try the lower carb food for one week, continue to monitor for ketones and check BG levels several times a day.
    2. Go to the vet tomorrow for the curve. If it will give you peace of mind, it will be worth the money spent.

On the ketones, anything more than trace is a visit to the vet. Trace ketones is at least a call to the vet, and maybe some sub-q fluids to be administered at home to help flush out the ketones.

Let's not worry about his weight just yet. Let's get the diet change going and that may help with the weight.

25. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Wow! I'm impressed! Good job getting blood.

As I said yesterday, taking him to the vet for a curve:

1) is premature - as you have been feeding dry food and it will take a couple days for it to clear his system

2) is a huge expense without giving you reliable results (sorry Deb I disagree with the need to go and stress yourself and the cat unnecessarily).

3) now that you have learned to test, you can test him at home instead and keep a spreadsheet to give to the vet - yes we have a spreadsheet for you to use and share... here is the link (it is also located in tech forum) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

What I suggest is calling the vet tomorrow to tell him that you found our group and have started home testing and would like to see how those tests look over the next couple days and would he please write a prescription for insulin and syringes in the meantime.

Ask him to write the scrip for Lantus Solostar pens and 1 box (of 100 syringes) 31 gauge with 1/2 unit markings.

Test him for ketones. Add water to his food to help flush any possible ketones out.

Oh and be sure to give him a treat every time you test him, whether it is a successful test or not.

Here is a link to a list of low carb healthy treats you can use:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9172

You can also give him pieces of chicken (baked or boiled) or even store rotisserie chicken and some deli meat and cheeses. Even opening a can of tuna and giving him the tuna water and pieces of tuna are a good option too.

You just want to avoid treats like Temptations, pounce, etc. As those are high carb.

You can buy the syringes at Walmart - relion brand is about $13.00 for one box of 100.

26. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

It would help going to the vet, but at the same time I dont want to start him on insulin if he might not need it in a week, I'd rather try this out first plus my gracious boyfriend is the one paying for this all so I dont want to rack up a bill when its not needed, I will take away all dry food tonight, I was worried about how it would be on his tummy but I can deal with it.
    I'll post again later tonight if I get a proper ketone test done.
    Also, I always free feed him, should I just always leave some wet food out for him now? He keeps going back to the fancy feast every ten minutes or so, just about to finish half a can of food

27. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Oh ya and any suggestions for getting urine for the ketone test? Garbage bag idea sound good?

28. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

29. Hillary & Maui (GA)

You can leave the canned food out for many hours. I do, just add water to keep it moist longer. It's fine that he is grazing and eating little amounts at a time when he wants.

30. Deb & Wink

Hillary, I think you misunderstood me in the options I gave to Kay.

Once you learn to home test, I see no reason to ever go back to the vet for a BG curve. Testing is so much more accurate when done at home. And costs so much less to boot.

But some people, need that reassurance from their vet that everything is ok. They need to place their trust in their vet and think the vet can give them that 'piece of mind' by having the vet do the curve. Kay may be one of those people. That is why I listed option 2.

If it were my cat, I'd go for option one. Try the food change first. Reschedule the vet curve if absolutely necessary. In a weeks time, I expect Kay to have enough test data to show her vet. Enough data to determine that starting dose of insulin if needed. A starting dose that won't be too high with the food change to low carb wet food. Enough data to skip the vet visit and have the vet prescribe the insulin over the phone. Especially if we can get a spreadsheet set up for her.

She'll have the knack of home testing, and will never need to take her cat to the vet for those expensive stress filled curves. And her boyfriend will appreciate the savings.

Be alert to the food change. Some cats get an upset tummy or some diarrhea with a rapid food change from dry to wet. You might want to have some Pepcid A/C 10 mg tablets on hand. Not the complete, not the extra strength. 1/4 tab 30 minutes before the main meals would help with any nausea. Plain canned pumpkin, 1 teaspoon to start, can help to firm up any loose stools from the diet change.

Yes, garbage bag idea sounds good. Here is a link with more ideas for catching the urine. urine catching tips

31. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Quick question so I absolutely know what how to do things.
    I should test him in the morning before I feed him, how long after he eats do I test again?
    Just test him once more about halfway through the day.
    Do I test him again later at night before he eats and after? Or Just before I go to bed?

32. Hillary & Maui (GA)

For now, while not on insulin - let's do this...

If he were on insulin, what time what you give it? Remember to think in 12 hour increments.

So for example if you were to give insulin at 7 am and 7 pm.....here is what I suggest:

Test him at 7 am - before giving breakfast

Test again at 10 am

Then test again sometime in the afternoon (between 12 - 5 pm) - you decide what time

Then test him at 7 pm - give dinner

Test at 9 or 10 pm

and if you want test before you go to bed

If/when you give insulin, we may adjust these test times or add more tests in during each cycle (if needed).

By doing this, it will get you and him started on the routine and if you do give insulin, then you are already prepared and starting the process....

does that make sense?

33. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Yup. Got it. My poor boyfriend is ganna have to wake up while Im at work (he works 3rd shift) And I'll have to teach him how to do it...He said he doesnt want to do any of it. -_- But he he's ganna HAVE to I'll just keep trying to explain how important it is.
    Oh so many pricks in my poor babys ear ):

34. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Don't worry about the pricks, it really doesn't hurt him. And for now, if you need to do fewer tests that's fine. Do what works for your schedules. Just keep in mind, if you need to give insulin, you may need to test more frequently and not necessarily the same number of tests each day. Some days maybe more and others maybe less. It really depends on how he does with insulin.

Cats don't have as many nerve endings in their ear edges, which is why it's an ideal testing spot. Be sure to alternate ears and use the neosporin after testing to help heal any bruising you may see.

35. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

BTW I was using a a 26G Lancet, with the lancet pen on the highest depth, He actually bled the first time I stuck him, and it was too much. Should I move to a thiner needle or just change the depth to the lowest? The Meter came with a few 30G Lancets. He seems to have good circulation and bleeds well.

36. Deb & Wink

I would back off the depth setting on the lancing pen one notch and see how it goes. It make take some adjustment to find the right setting on the lancet pen.

37. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Yeah thats what I figured.
    Pee update: He still hasnt gone. -_- He stared at the garbage bag and looked confused lol :p
    I just got two notebooks one to keep a BG log, and another where I am writing a SHITLOAD of notes on what his levels should be and Hypo symptoms and treatments for the b/f My hand huuuurts haha :)
    Im so glad I found this MB, just being on here the past day has helped me organize my thoughts and all the information I've been reading online. Thanks everyone! I feel a bit more confident in my abilities and knowledge, I can make this work. :D :mrgreen:

38. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

We have a standard spreadsheet we use to track results (Hillary mentioned it above and gave the link to help you set it up). It's good because it allows you to see trends plus you can share it with us so we can help advise, plus the vet. And there is a column for notes etc. see my signature below for mine,,

39. Deb & Wink

Your welcome. That is what we want to do here. Give you the knowledge to make this work.

Keep asking those questions.

And remember to take some time for yourself to renew and refresh your spirit and energy. Do something fun you like, even if it is only for a few minutes in your hectic day.

40. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Ya I will start using that if he gets on insulin and also use the notebook for the boy to write it down if he takes the GB.
    I have a question, I was reading the Hypo - What to Do and while it is very detailed in symptoms and treatments depending on the symptoms/numbers, it says to feed food but does not specify what food to feed with the syrup. I assume the gravy fancy feast or dry because both are high-carb?
    Good advice Deb! I just wish he would PEE! Haha I have never wanted and waited with such eagerness for a cat to piss lmao

41. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Remember cat cannot hypo when not insulin.

if you get a reading of 50 or less, you can do the following:

1-give one or two teaspoons of gravy and feed that to start.
    2-take the same one or two teaspoons of gravy and mix it with one or two teaspoons of low carb canned food

depending on how quickly the bg numbers rise, may need to feed 1 or 2 several times over several hours, this is why we suggest starting with 1 first so as not to get the cat too full that he won't want to eat when you need to get the bg's up.

feeding dry food will take a long time to get out of the system, which is why it's a last resort option

feeding sugar (karo, syrup, jam, etc) will spike his bg quickly and drop him just as quick, which is also why it's a last resort option, but an option nonetheless

make sense?

42. Deb & Wink

Also, the dry food takes much longer to digest than the canned food. So it will take longer, maybe too long, to have a quick enough affect on the BG numbers.

43. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Okay Ya see only use syrup if Very Low with no symptoms, just a tbls. or Low with no symptoms/symptoms if he wont eat.
    Im just preparing myself if he goes on insulin tomorrow so I know the ins and outs. :) Thinking about giving him a BG test...but prolly not worth it untill tomorrow morning since I just switched his food today.

44. Deb & Wink

Since you are just learning to home test, a little practice with the lancet and the meter would be my suggestion. Even if you are not giving the insulin yet.

45. Hillary & Maui (GA)

if you feel like testing - go for it. nobody here will ever say don't test... ;-)

yes, use the sugar product to spike him up fast - say if you get a reading of 30 or less. and you can mix the sugar product into the wet food too, you can also put on gums and if really in dire situation insert anally. you may need to get a syringe to use for that purpose - ask the vet to give you some feeding syringes.

you can also take an insulin syringe and remove the needle part and use that too.

hopefully, you will never have that situation, but even with testing and being diligent it can happen and the first time he goes below 50, try not to panic and remember all these steps...it's why we say have your hypo kit prepared and instructions taped to the top of the box or inside so you don't have to try to remember when in the midst of it.

46. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

I know Im asking a lot of question, but Im a do all know all person lol When it comes to home testing, does it really matter if I prick from the back of the ear or the front of the ear? And Im assuming the needle goes straight through, so I should get him a stud. Rahaha :p

47. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

48. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

This says to apply neosporin before prick, I was told to apply after prick. Does it matter? And do I need to clean/wipe it off after?

49. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Before prick means the blood wells up better instead of sinking into the fur. (Use pain relief ointment version of neosporin). Apply just a thin smear. Don't need to wipe off after then unless there is excess.

Wendy

50. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Okay thanks. He still hasnt peed and its like midnight. ): He ate a can of FF since Ive been home at 4 so I think I'll give him a half before I go to bed, (which is now). I'll see if he peed in the morning and test...if he hasnt or somehow got the bag off and went in the litter, I guess I'll just have to take him to the vet and explain all that Im doing now + diet change. If there are any important questions I should ask her that have not been covered here tonight, please leave a note and I will check in the morning around 8 am before I take him in.

51. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

So, I took him in. The vet was very nice about answering my questions. She said when they tested him last week (urinalyses) his glucose was in the 1,000s. I asked about if they tested for Ketones, she said they don't usually test for ketones. Should I be concerned? And what do I do if he tested positive to ketones at home.

52. Deb & Wink

Sorry, I'm really puzzled here. You should see the puzzled frown on my face. ohmygod_smile

Urine glucose in the thousands? Are you sure? What was the exact value? and the exact test that was done?

What was the Blood Glucose test value done at the vet?

How was the urinalysis sample done? Free catch? Cytocentesis?
    What did they use to test the urine? Urine dip stick? Lab test? Which lab? In house or Idexx or someone else?

The numbers you are giving us from the vet do not jibe with what you are getting with your BG testing, (316 BG yesterday) . Something smells fishy here, and it isn't the cat food.

53. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I think you need a new vet. I cant believe they dont test for ketones. Thats just irresponsible. and you are right, if you see ketones its very very serious and I am not sure that vet will be able to handle it. So unless you find a better vet it looks like you will be on your own.. with us of course.

Wendy

54. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Uh....Im confused now lol
    Im pretty sure it wasnt on his own accord of peeing, since when I took him in he wasnt eating/drinking at all. She said a bit over 1,000. Which, if he wasnt eating I can see because of the high carb diet he has always had and fatty liver??
    Not sure how they got the results, I think lab in house.
    I did tell her I tested him last with the meter and he was 316. I also requested she test him with my meter as well as hers so I can know the difference between the numbers I am getting and she is getting.

55. Hillary & Maui (GA)

And to further answer your question last night about poking techniques - I always poke from front to back (meaning the inside of ear) I never poked the back of Maui's ear. I have pierced her several times and did promise to get her a nice earring to put in the hole. :lol:

She told me to poke myself and wear the earring instead. So, I got another hole pierced and wear a special earring in her honor. :lol:

I'm surprised the vet did not ketone test. If the vet had a urine sample, then it's just a matter of dipping the stick in the urine and seeing what color it is. And if the vet only tested the bg level from a urine sample and not a blood sample, then that is not necessarily current information.

As you saw it can be hours before a cat pees and the sugar in urine can be several hours old, not current like with a blood test.

Did you leave the cat at the vet for the curve? If so, did the vet explain just how and where they will test the cat? Ear pricks, paw pricks, neck vein? There are some vets that will test using the neck veins which I think is painful and should only be a last resort if they can't get from ear.

56. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Well of course eating dry food will cause very high levels. That is not surprising, which is why you started the Fancy Feast foods.

If you are leaving him there for the day, did you bring food with you and if not, please instruct the vet on what food they are allowed to feed him. Cause, they may just open any can and use it as well as put kibble in his cage. Both things you don't want done. Tell them what flavor/type of Fancy Feast they can use and if they don't have Fancy Feast ask what they have and we can help you decide which to have them use. Or better yet, give them 2 cans of what you want fed.

57. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Yes I actually brought in two cans of my FF and told her to use that food. When I gave her my meter and asked for her to compare numbers, she did ask where I planned on pricking him and I told her the ears, so I assume that is where she will be doing it. She even offered to help show me the proper way and demonstrate for my boyfriend how to home test when I come to pick him up later, which I thought was nice.

58. Hillary & Maui (GA)

When you have a chance, ask the vet how many diabetic cats she has treated and what methods did she use and what is her success rate for remission.

I have a feeling she is not as schooled in the knowledge/treatment of diabetes, which is fine, as long as she is willing to learn.

59. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Yes I definitely plan on it, I have also called a vet my sister used to go to to ask about her experience with diabetic cats and ketone testing. I must say, I was expecting some kind of speech on how I shouldnt bother home testing or changing his food off of the DM but she came with no adversity to it. She was not the vet I had dealt with last week though, who initially took his temp., gave him an anti-biotic and took him again the next day when he sh- till wasnt eating.
    But this one seemed nice enough -sigh- Well with all this reading I've been doing I am writing a few more questions down for her, and told her I'd have more when I came back lol
    I just called actually and they said they use ProZinc. Good Bad?

60. Deb & Wink

The Prozinc is one of the top 3 insulins we recommend. Lantus, Levimir and Prozinc. Glad to hear it's not Vetsulin, Humulin N or Novolin N which work great in dogs but lousy in cats.

Lantus has a savings card program from the manufacturer. $25 for the first six prescriptions on the Lantus Solostar pen and some Target pharmacies sell the pens individually.

Levimir might have some savings programs also, but I don't know what they might be.

Don't know of any savings programs for Prozinc.

Would you please add one more tidbit to your user control panel for us? I'd like to see your location. User control panel, profile tab, edit profile, go down to location field and enter country, state/province, city or general area if you would please.

61. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

there we go :mrgreen:

62. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

So when I give him his shots, test hom before he eats, then feed, the give shot check two hours later, check again around 3, check again for night shot, feed, shoot, bed check sound good?

63. Deb & Wink

Yes that is a good basic testing plan. Only one variation. The +3 check could be a +4 or +5 on different days. Suggested test times depend on what insulin you are using. We don't know when the nadir or lowest point in the cycle is yet. So you need to mix up the test times a bit in the beginning until we get a better idea.

If the numbers are really low, <200, you want to retest in 30 minutes, without feeding.

Testing needs will change over time. Sometimes even day to day. Somedays that bed check test may be at +3 other days, it may be at +4 or +5.

p.s. Thanks for the location info.

64. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

So rule of thumb is around 200 or under hold off the shot until his numbers rise?

65. Deb & Wink

That 200 shoot/no shoot threshold is a rule of thumb when you are starting out. That is the rule here on the Feline Health forum as you are learning. Over in Lantus TR forum the shoot/no shoot limit is 150.

With some insulins, you can go lower than that after some data collection. With some insulins, like the NPH types (Humulin, Novolin, Vetsulin) you would probably never want to give insulin at lower numbers, <200.

If the number is low, <200, you want to hold off on insulin and food, retest in 30 minutes and see if you have a rising number. You may have to repeat the testing over a couple of hours. Sometimes, you do not get a number that increases fast enough to give any insulin that cycle, and you need to skip the shot.

Three basic options.
    1. Shoot - number is high enough to give the insulin.
    2. Stall - hold the food and insulin and retest
    3. Skip - numbers too low or other factors so do not give the insulin this cycle.

We take a lot of factors into consideration when we suggest to someone that they shoot low. What insulin are they using? what meter do they use for testing? do they have a hypo toolkit prepped and waiting? do they have plenty of test strips? HC (high carb) gravy type food? how are their home testing skills? will they be home to monitor for most of the day or do they need to go to work or elsewhere? what test data do they have to support shooting that low? when is nadir for this cat? what is the insulin duration in this cat? is this cat prone to ketones? ever had DKA? how new is this member?......................

We put a lot of thought into our recommendations as you can see.

66. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Lol yes I do see. Well, I'll prolly be on here every time I get a number and do not know what to do and post it. It'll take a bit before Im comfortable doing this all on my own so thanks!

67. Deb & Wink

You've only been here for a week, and have already learned so much. There is so much to learn in this sugardance. We try not to overwhelm but it's difficult. I equate this to a crash course, college masters degree level, in managing feline diabetes. It's hard!

Keep those questions coming. Ask for clarifications wherever and whenever needed.

Remember, take care of yourself too. Something fun you love to do, at least for a little bit every day.

Let us know what insulin you get. And any test numbers. Just to see how things are going.

68. Deb & Wink

You've made great progress. The next item would like is a spreadsheet (SS) to track the BG numbers, insulin dosages, food intake etc.

69. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Well I just got a call back from a vet I was looking into. And I think Im going to switch him over to her. She has a few diabetic patients, and some of her own cats are diabetic. A lot of her patients home-test, so she's familiar, and she also understands the risks of ketones and says she does it during a standard urinaylsis.
    My only thought is, Bellos already at his GC and will I have to start this process over again? We've spent like 500$ in two days initially, and I have no idea how this curve is ganna cost ):

70. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

1) At a minimum, get copies of the lab tests which were run. If possible, get a copy of the medical record. You paid for them. There may be a token fee per page if your state law stipulates it. (Ohio's does.)

2) Provide your spreadsheet of home glucose tests, doses, and notes; you do not need to run a curve at the vet's where stress will elevate the numbers up to 180 mg/dL. Your home numbers are more representative.

71. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Vet called, he's doing an extra GB test.
    His glucose dropped from 318 last night I believe about 157 (was out didnt have a pen to write it down) So :)

72. Hillary & Maui (GA)

get the vet to give you the details, exactly what time were the tests taken, when was food given, etc.

this is good, if he's at 157 - means the diet change is working and possibly may not need insulin

when do you bring him home and start monitoring at home?

73. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

He was given insulin today. Thats why it dropped, he's only getting one unit once a day. ): Im ganna monitor him, make sure he keeps being okay.
    He said he's treated a lot of diabetic cats, he knows someone who home monitors, but the only time he's ever seen remission is with Lantus and the wet prescription food. And never for more than 6 months. -_- Im ganna stick to what Im doing, check his levels at the end of the day and in the morning.

74. Deb & Wink

Hilary's Maui has been OTJ for 4 YEARS now.

75. Hillary & Maui (GA)

and it is important to give insulin every 12 hours, not once a day. Cats metabolize faster than humans and need to get shots every 12 hours not 24.

and yes, Maui's been in remission (OTJ) for over 4 yrs now and still going strong. while remission can end, for many who continue to feed low carb canned and the cat is overall healthy, then remission can happen and can last the rest of the cat's life.

some cats have come out of remission, due to illness, dental issues, etc and can go back in remission once the issue is corrected.

so sorry, your vet is wrong, remission can and does last for more than 6 months.

76. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Well Bellos test after 12 hours he was at 140

77. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

ok cool. Now there are two tweaks I think you need to make which will help you know whats going on in terms of dose etc and to keep an eye on him

1 Spreadsheet - see Debs post above. It will help you, your vet, and us track trends and see how he is doing on a particular dose

2. tests -preshot tests are great to keep him safe - after all you dont want to shoot if he is too low (under 200 for newbies at first). But to know how well the dose is doing, or if he is going too low , you need to take a test mid cycle - so like 5-7 hours after the shot, and then one before bed (2-3hours after the evening shot)

let us know if you need help with the spreadsheet.

Wendy

78. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Well Im not feeling too comfortable with this stuff.
    Yesterday was his first in-home shot. And by 3 o'clock when I got home from babysitting, Matt said he wasnt eating and sleeping a lot. He was down to 60mg! I called the vet, rubbed karo on his gums and he started eating looking better.
    The vet told me to drop him to .5 units a day. And she had the gall to tell me "It must be from the FF your feeding him, since your not giving him the prescription. Its hard to regulate on that." She is so rude trying to push this food on me, after spending almost 1,000 on him the past few days Im SO broke. The male vet who showed me how to do this said if I have to test him, test him after 12 hours to see how he's doing. Thank GOD I tested him this morning before I gave him the shot and went to work. He was 71mg this morning. If I would have blindly gave him his shot he would have went into hypo with no one around to notice. ):

79. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

thank goodness you tested him! it will be interesting to see where he is tonite. Can you set up the spreadsheet to see how things are trending?

80. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Im having trouble with the SS -_- lol I have been writing it all down in a notebook though. I'll try and test him tonight. For some reason I can no longer get blood using the lancet pen to I have to free hand, and I always feel like Im sticking him too hard or something.
    Something just doesnt feel right, Im leaning towards thinking he's fine. Isnt half a unit once a day really low? Is it even worth the risks....

81. Hillary & Maui (GA)

well we typically recommend giving insulin twice a day, not once a day.

However, seeing that he is under 100 and being this new to the process, you don't want to give insulin at all if he is under 200. Being under 100 is way in the NORMAL range - yes NORMAL without insulin in system.

so it is very possible, that with the food change, getting over the illness he had that he may not be diabetic and may not need insulin at all.

this is a good thing if that is the case!

keep testing him and post the numbers here and hold off on giving any insulin at this point, since he is in normal BG levels.

82. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Yeah, and I better get a damn refund for the insulin as I only used it once. If he is not diabetic, there ganna hear some **** from me for mis-diagnosing him. He could have been killed today!
    Poor baby has a nice big red spot on his ear from this mornings poke ): I should get smaller needles if Im free-pricking him, just a bit too much blood than is really necessary. right now he is at 75mg.

83. Hillary & Maui (GA)

75 is a lovely number! MY guess the vet will not refund the insulin, since it was used, even if only once. If it is not needed, then you can donate it or sell it on supply closet forum - sure there is a prozinc user who could use it.

and for now, just smile and be thankful that you tested and he is doing so well.....

since you are free handing the poke now, do you put something behind the ear to cushion the poke (other than your finger) ;) . you can wad up a tissue or fold a paper towel.

84. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

I have been putting something behind the ear. :) its just SO frustrating spending all that extra money and then finding out he's fine. -sigh-
    How many consecutive days of low numbers should I have until I can safely say he's in the clear?
    And thanks everyone for the help! Who knows what would have happened if I never did my own research and talked you all!

85. Hillary & Maui (GA)

typically we say 14 days. if he stays below 120 and mostly under 100, then we say that the cat is OTJ or in remission (in your case - probably a transient diabetic - due to illness).

If this is the case for him, I suggest that you continue feeding him the low carb wet food, keep your testing kit, so you can test him whenever you want and keep in mind that you always need to be vigilant with his food and health to avoid him becoming a long term diabetic.

and if anytime in the future, you have questions (doesn't have to be diabetic related), you are part of this group now and always welcome to come here and ask questions. chances are someone here probably knows the answer.

86. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Too early to tell if he was misdiagnosed. We need to see readings of 40-130 for 14 days before knowing for sure if he is in remission.

Can you get a test before and 1-2 hours after food and let us know?

Also I find something hard behind the ear like a pill bottle lid is easier for me to press against.

87. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Ya tomorrow I will try to get it in. I feed him before work, and then 3:30 when I get home so I'll get a test in.
    I gatta tell ya, the hardest part is the sticking He doesnt seem to mind tooo much, just shakes his head, I think it bothers me more than him lol

88. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Ya tomorrow I will try to get it in. I feed him before work, and then 3:30 when I get home so I'll get a test in.
    I gatta tell ya, the hardest part is the sticking He doesnt seem to mind tooo much, just shakes his head, I think it bothers me more than him lol

89. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

lol. u will get used to it - he already is!

90. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

So the b/f fed him at 1 while I was at work so I was unable to get a before food test. I got home at 3:30 though and he was at 65mg.

91. Deb & Wink

It's only the pre-shot tests where we ask you to try to withhold food for 2 hours. Any other test during the day, we expect to be food influenced.

You can give him a little freeze dried or other pure protein treat to make him used to those tests. Soon, he'll be jumping up to his test spot, asking to be fed, just so he can get his treats. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

92. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Ya I'll have to get him some.
    But he was 65 without any shot again today. This is his 2nd day without a shot and he's been in the normal range both days. :)

93. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Deb, I think she was doing a Food Test per Wendy. ;-) If so, that's a great number! When was the last time you gave him a shot? Tuesday? Yay for 2 days no shot! Only 12 more to go!

94. Deb & Wink

We'll keep our fingers and 3 sets of paws crossed that this low BG trend continues.

As Wendy already said, 14 days of low numbers like that and we can consider him OTJ.

Yes, it's not technically pre-shot testing. It's the AMBG or PMBG and + hours numbers in between.

95. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Here is what I would like to see for the 12 days - I would like you to test 2 times a day - once in the morning and once in the evening.

You pick the time and make sure they are different times each day and it's ok to test him after eating or before.

So, tomorrow let's say you test him before you leave for work and before you go to bed. Then the next day, test him when you wake up and an hour after he eats dinner.

Just get two random tests in each day, as I have feeling you are going to be quite happy with the numbers you see - WITHOUT insulin!

Easy, breezy, peasy!

96. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

85 at the vet today! So now we're just focusing on getting weight down a lil :razz:

97. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Nice glucose level.

98. Deb & Wink

All Rightttttttttttttttt on that 85, at the vet's even! :cool: :D :cool: You must be so thrilled.

Vet Dr. Lisa Pierson has this nice article on feline obesity

I recently spent a year, getting my civie Monet down from 16.5 to 12 pounds. Portion control was the key for him.

99. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

I've been feeding him half cans at intervals. Once int he morning, lunchtime(when Im not working and if the bf is awake) at 3 after work and then again before bed. ^,^ Vet said to keep feeding him like this, and weigh him in 2 weeks and yes Im VERY happy :)

100. Hillary & Maui (GA)

if that is enough food him and he seems content, then it is a perfect food plan.

how are his bg's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.