Anyone in my area?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KaySpiess, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Are you still testing at home? Hows his numbers.. we are counting down to OTJ!!

2. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

I wasnt able to test him over the weekend as I was out of town and my sister was coming up and watching him, didnt want to make her do it. :p And since he was tested at the vet today i think Im ganna give him a break and test every other day. He is getting more exercise with this laser pointer, usually he's a lazy player with the string fishes or balls, but he LOVES the laser lol

3. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok thats fine. Let us know when its day 14 as we like to celebrate.. plus I have tips for keeping him OTJ.. its a very tentative thing and you need to be careful. I wasn't.. and my Tiggy has now been back on the juice for over a year :(

4. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Hasnt eaten in give or take 4 hours. BG is 39 is that too low? Should I be worried?

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Since you are not currently giving your cat any insulin, no that 39 is not too low. No insulin since 7/17 according to your signature. (Thank you, having that note caught my eye and was very useful.)

You cat can not hypo if they are not receiving any insulin. One of my civies normally tests in the low 40's sometimes.

Have a good night's sleep. No cause to worry. No cause for alarm. Your good.

6. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Ok thank you I was just a bit worried cause the vet said (when he was 85 at the vet) that that was on the low side for a cat who hasnt even. He seem a little worried when I said he was testing between 60-75 like it was not normal O_O btw he seems to have more energy since I got him a new toy with feathers, but I picked him up an held him, he wrapped his paws around my head and bit the side of my head.
    My cuddle muffin has turned into a killer LMAO

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

if you want to bring the bg up a bit - feed the kitty -- low carb canned food....

i love saying feed the kitty!

and sorry that your cuddle bunny turned into a killer kitteh! But that's what happens when "He feels good"! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

Maui's bgs range is 60-80 without insulin. some cats are higher and some may be a bit lower. remember normal non-diabetic range is 40-120.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

"Vampire kittens never grow old..."

from "Kitten's Blood" on the CD Bedlam Cats

(its a filk CD!)

9. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Hey there

Hows things going? IS Bello officially OTJ now?

Wendy

10. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Well I think its safe to say he is OTJ Just got a reading of 58 he seems a lot more energetic and his diet is doing well. Thanks everyone!

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

fantastic!!! Remission is 14 days of 50-130 so sounds like he is there.. also below may be useful!

Tips to stay OTJ

1. Never feed dry - not even treats. If you change wet food types, be 100% sure the new food is also low carb and same low carb % as your current food. Some cats are very carb sensitive and an increase from 3-6% to 8-10% can spike the BG’s. Don’t feed if you aren’t sure!
    2. Weigh every 2 weeks to 1 month to watch for weight changes. Too much of a weight gain can cause loss of remission.
    3. Measure blood once a week, indefinitely. You want to catch a relapse quickly. Some people only do checks every 2 weeks to a month.
    4. No steroids or oral meds with sugar - remind your vet whenever giving you any medication. Always double check.
    5. Monitor food intake, peeing and drinking. If increasing, a sign of losing remission.
    6. Regular vet checks for infection such as dental , ear or UTI. And get them treated quick!

If he does fall out of remission you need to be more aggressive and resolve issues/ back on insulin as soon as possible as the window for a second remission is tight if any.

12. KaySpiess

KaySpiess Member

Ya he seems perfectly fine, he runs around, and I noticed since switching to wet food he doesnt really drink water. Normal?
    I havent taken him back to that vet though, since Im almost 100% now he must have gotten bad batch of food and thats why he wasnt eating and got sick. Cause as soon as he saw me open a new bag, he was up my ass and ready to eat it. Lol Still on FF. He only had insulin the day he went for his glucose curve which was 1 unit ONCE a day. The first day I gave him insulin he wasnt eating, slept in a closet and was way under. They said drop it to half a unit once a day, but I just ignored them. He went back for a check up and was perfectly fine. So they wasted my time and over $200 in needles and insulin for nothing. Even the vet said he must have just been sick and thats what spiked him. ****ing morons lmao

13. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Perfectly normal for a cat eating wet food not to use the water dish. The cat is getting all the water they need from the canned food. My three, all on wet/canned food, have hardly taken a drink from a water dish in the last 9 months. It's a notable event when I see one of them take a drink these days. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.