anyone know Insuvet Protamine Zinc?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joanna & Bix (GA), Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

We have a newbie who is using this, it's a UK only PZI (here's the Wiki page for it http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Insuv ... amine_Zinc).

I wondered if anyone knows how close the onset/nadir/duration is to PZI Vet or ProZinc? Her #s are little different than many cats (apparently long duration and or late nadirs or late drops). Occurred to me maybe this PZI acts somewhat differently than others, and the advice we've been giving her so far maybe isn't ideal for this insulin?

Here is her latest thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22896&p=228515#p228515

Any input appreciated!!! Thanks! :D

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Wow, according to the wiki article, it is a WAY longer acting insulin than PZI Vet or ProZinc. Nadir around +12 and duration of 24-36 hours. I would be inclined to possibly dose it more like lantus/lev than prozinc. It is also possible that this may be an insulin that should be given only once a day.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

It says after that though that those #s are for dogs, and that for cats it may only last 1/2 as long, which I think is more or less the perspective of the other PZIs, right? It's vague enough to leave me wondering, since her vet had billed it to her as an SID insulin, but then we've seen vets do that with PZI Vet & ProZinc too. She does seem to get good duration though, so I'm not sure if she's just lucky :D or if maybe it is longer-acting than other PZIs....?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Note that the Wiki also says:
    NOAH goes on to say that onset, peak and duration times have been reported as being variable in dogs. There is also a note regarding the time activity profile information for cats--times for them can be half that of dogs, due to cats' faster metabolism.

Also, this website says for humans:
    http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/ins ... durationhr

Type of Insulin Onset (hr) Peak (hr) Duration (hr)
    Protamine zinc (PZI) 2.0-6.0 14-24 36+

Therefore, it appears that the Wiki values are for humans with dogs being variable and cats being a lot shorter. I would not expect any appreciable difference between the Insurvet PZI insulin and PZI Vet or ProZinc since they use the same additive (protamine Zinc) with a regular insulin.

5. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Just goes to show, I need to read the whole article first ohmygod_smile

Either way, even at half life the nadir would be 6-12 hours and duration 12-18 hours, which is still a bit longer than the PZI's we use here. (nadir 4-8 hours and duration 10-14 hours) This may explain the slightly longer duration you are noticing with her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.