Anyone know where to find Vetbasis Hairball gel?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA), Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA)

Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA) Member

Margaret seems to be working on a hairball for the last day or so. She appears to be eating fine. However, we still hear the noises as she's working on it. We used to use the Laxatone but now am not sure if we still can since she's diabetic. We've been OTJ since July and would like to stay that way. Does anyone know if this is usable? If not, any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you!

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Re: Hairball remedy for diabetic cats

Vet Basis hairball gel is safe for diabetics (no carbs). You can also give plain Vaseline or a teaspoon of any vegetable oil. Canned pumpkin also works, but my cats don't like it.

3. Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA)

Thanks. I'm trying to find Vetbasis but cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?

4. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Petsmart and Petco both carry it in my area (Chicago)

5. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

it disappeared off the market here while back, not sure if due to a shortage or a problem, but i think i remember someone mentioning here while back it was back on store shelves. out here in so cal you can usually get it at petsmart or petco, although i haven't looked recently.

worse case if there's a walmart near you, they have one on their shelf now that specifically says something along the lines of "sugar free" or "ok for diabetics". can't remember the exact wording and haven't tried it yet as i'm working on our last thing of vetbasis currently.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

7. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

If you can't find it, plain vaseline works just fine. Just don't use it everyday as it may decrease nutrients being absorbed, but then thats probably true for most of these lubricants.

I was initially scared to try it until I saw it was the main ingredient in laxatone (white petrolatum USP,mineral oil, corn syrup, malt syrup, soybean oil, cane molasses,....). I double checked with my vet and she said OK.

Mine will eat/lick it off my finger, but then he eats anything :lol:

8. bradie96

bradie96 Member

i use vaseline...that seems to do the trick for both...patches runs to the jar when i open it whereas my civie molly i have to put it on her paw to get her to eat it...
    i wish i saw them working on a hairball i seem to find them AFTER its all worked up! :?

9. Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA)

Thanks everyone. I was unable to find any of the Vetbasis locally, even using the locations that it's "supposedly" sold at but did find Excel Sugar-Free Kittymalt Hairball Remedy at Petco. http://www.petco.com/product/109997/Excel-Sugar-Free-Kittymalt-Hairball-Remedy.aspx It says it's ideal for diabetic and overweight cats.

The active ingredients are mineral oil, petrolatum, and methylcellulose. The inactive ingredients are glycerin, sorbitol, malt powder, malt flavor, and seafood flavor.

I'm not sure what I'd be looking for, ingredients wise, to make sure it's okay for her. BTW if I go with Vaseline, how much do I give her? 1/2 tsp? She's about 14 lbs.

In other news-while I was out looking for this stuff, my Dad heard her trying to get the hairball up but he doesn't know where she was. Now I get to go play "try and find the hairball" lol. What we'll do for our cats.

10. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

For vaseline, use 1/2 - 1 tsp per day until the problem clears up. Then 1/4 - 1/2 tsp twice a week to keep things clear.

BTW, my vet told me to rub it on their paw and they will lick it off. Well, I ended up cleaning vaseline off the ceiling. I just take a dab and rub on the tongue right in the corner of the mouth.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I always put it near the top of the leg they cant shake it off from there. They have to lick it off. LO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.