Anyone out there testing pads?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Zee, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zee

Zee Member

Really struggling with testing on Mum’s ear... throwing out strips like there’s no tomorrow...
    Any one testing on pads?

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

What problems are you having when trying to use her ears?

3. Zee

Zee Member

Hi Lisa. Poke as I might - not enough blood.. I did use a warm sock etc...

4. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

Not sure what you've tried so far...

Are you warming the ear up first? It gets chilly here most mornings so I use a rice sock heated up in the microwave.

Are you aiming for the "sweet spot" (there is a diagram, I can never find it when I need it though lol let me know if you haven't seen it yet I'll try to find it.)

Is she hydrated? Looks like she's eating dry food? If she's dehydrated that could be making it more difficult. :(

Maybe a larger lancet (the smaller the number the bigger the needle) would help until her ears "learn to bleed"?

Also... I had read about using a 45 degree angle but I ignored it because I didn't know why that would matter... then I realized I started having a hard time again and had been going like straight in... so I did start trying a 45 degree angle and it seems to help.

5. Zee

Zee Member

Hi Jasper Blue and Jay - Warmed ear etc.. think she’s reasonably hydrated... will try the 45 degrees...

Thank you all!

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  6. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

It will get easier.

I watched a ton of videos on youtube, some of them contradict each other so sometimes its more confusing than helpful lol but one of them might have a tip that we haven't thought of or just seeing someone doing it might be helpful.

[​IMG]

The sweet spot works best for me, but sometimes when we've been testing a lot I try to use the other area that has a lot of those little capillaries on top there...usually works well too. Just try to avoid the veins, I think they say hitting a vein hurts more and they might jump.

I put a cotton ball under his ear to have something to press against.

7. Zee

Zee Member

You sure are right about you tube... going cross eyed!
    BTW - what does GA stand for in this forum?

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  8. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

GA stands for 'gone ahead' or 'guardian angel', indicating a kitty has passed.

Regarding testing, we never tried the pads but I was tempted when we were just starting. It was tricky to learn the ear! If doing the pads from my understanding, you will need an actual Lancet device (rather than free hand with the Lancet) to get through the pad enough to draw blood.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Thank you. Xx

10. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Even after years I often went right through Noah's ear or he flinched and I shredded his ear. Deal with apologizing later, for now you've got blood and whether it's from either side of the ear doesn't matter. I didn't use a lancet device, just free-handed and used huge BD lancets, easier to grip and available in many gauges.
    By the way, the GA and Grief are meant for sugar cats only and NOT to indicate what state you reside in.
    bd_lance01.jpg bd_lance02.JPG

11. Zee

Zee Member

Thank you. Taking a break today more for my nerves than Madam’s who is currently snoring happily...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.