Anyone see the new Illumavein ad at the top of the board?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by squeem3, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

http://www.illumavein.com/

It's an aid for home bg testing. Looks like just a bright light that you kind of slide under the ear and gently clamp down on so you can clearly see the vein and hold the ear steady. Then you prick with your own lancet/lancet device.

It's a good idea, IMO, but I don't think many people, especially newbies, would want to fiddle with another item while bg testing. I think some people use flashlights or a headlamp to see the vein anyways.

Thoughts?

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

I don't use anything....just place my lancing device along the edge and click.

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I might buy it just so I can see if I would want to recommend it to newbies. When I first had to test Sadie(GA) I had to use a flashlight on her black ears. This might have been helpful.

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

looks like it also clamps firmly enough to cause the vein to fill in the circle area because it stops the flow out of the area - so no heat needed. But it also seems like the device itself would get in the way of freehanding a lancet.

I can't see any of my cats sitting still while I attach the thing though. And it would HAVE to be able to be applied with one hand.

I like the light underneath. I used a flashlight with Beau in the beginning.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I just noticed it today. Looks interesting, especially if you need more hands to poke and need a flashlight, like I do.

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

So....we don't want vein blood anyway...want capillary blood.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I think it is neat. It looks like it the circle will accept a lancet pen and it looks like it provides backup for the lancet too. I looks like it holds the ear too.

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I just noticed this too! I tell you what, it could really be good for people with bad eyesight. This morning, I just had a terrible time seeing Pearl's drop (morning wake up blur - I was running late!). Of course not all cats would like it, but most probably wouldn't find it a lot different from you holding it. Where did this come from? Who thought of it?

9. squeem3

From the web site: et Sugar Check LLC was established in 2007, however, their experience with diabetes came years before when
    the founder's feline companion was diagnosed with the disease. Together they have experienced many trials and tribulations. It has been because of their experience that they began designing a product to aid in obtaining a blood sample for glucose monitoring at home.

It won't. One of the videos on the site shows a person freehanding a lancet to get blood.

10. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

This would freak my Baby out more.. I am a little over 2 months into this BG Testing.. I just free hand - a quick prick & milking of the ear.. I have Blood... it is quick & Baby does not seem to mind.

11. Sabrina's Mom

Sabrina's Mom New Member

I'm intrigued by it & in a week or two (after my vet bills & monitor costs have faded a bit) I'm planning on picking one up. I wish it was a bit cheaper but if it makes finding a vein easier I'm for it (flashlight in the mouth in a dimly lit room that I feed her in just isn't working out).

12. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Interesting.....they are not even giving a portion of their products to FDMB!!!! I emailed them today to find out how much the shipping to Canada would be (I wouldn't mind the $30 for the machine now that the Canadaian dollar is almost par to the US dollar, it just depends on how much they want to charge me for shipping) & asked how much they give to FDMB. Here is the response I have received so far:

13. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

am I missing something here?? we are not striving to hit the vein. I think some are misunderstanding unless it is me :D

14. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

See, that's what I see too. I've never took direct aim on hitting the vein itself, just between the vein and the edge of the ear. I know that the times when I would hit that vein blood would fly everywhere........but this product looks like that's where it's saying to hit! Comments??

15. squeem3

From the site: The biggest advantage of the illumavein is it allows you to find the vein immediately because of the built in light. This will result in less punctures to your companion

Looks like they are saying to prick the vein to get blood. The video shows the lancet poking the vein (or somwhere very close to it)

As we "old timers" know, you don't need to hit the vein. You prick between the vein and the edge of the ear. You can still do that with the Illumavein device. Maybe the site should clarify how to get a drop of blood without pricking the actual vein.

16. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Thanks for explaining what it was. Every time I clicked the ad/link, my computer froze up! I was starting to worry it was a virus link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.