Anyone use Libre Freestyle sensor?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melanie Lee, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie Lee

Melanie Lee New Member

My Duffy has seemingly recovered well from Ketoacidosis. His vet, who has a feline-only practice, is trying the Libre Freestyle on several of her diabetic patients. The sensor was applied to the right side of Duffy's neck, secured by a collar-type bandage. Duffy is currently on 4.5 units of Prozinc. The vet wants to see the full daily graphs to decide whether the type and dosage of insulin are correct. The graph showed a huge dip of more than 300 points between 3 am and 6 am. Duffy's food and insulin are given to him at 11 am and 11 pm. The sensor was checked for accuracy many times during Duffy's hospitalization. I was able to use a coupon provided by the vet for the sensors and an app on my iphone to read it. Does anyone else have experience with the Libre Freestyle?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

There have been a couple of people here who tried it. I think one issue was ensuring that it stayed on the cat. That big dip in BG in the 4 to 7 hours after his dose is typical of ProZinc's action. A 300 point drop *might* indicate the dose is too high but it depends on what the starting BG was and where it ended up at the dip.

3. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

My friend who takes care of Rhubarb for me when I'm away uses that sensor on herself. She said they are expensive, but much more convenient. Worth the cost to her.

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The sensors are about $36 each and last 14 days unless the cats removes it sooner. That is not really expensive if one tests BGs a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.