Anyone used Levemir from a vial? How long was it good?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FurBabiesMama, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I have a vial of Levemir rather than pens. (I got the vet to write the next prescription for pens.) I know that the manufacturer says it should only be used 42 days after opening, but I have read that it can last longer than that. Has anyone actually used a vial? How long was yours good?

Thank you!

2. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

With Lantus it can last months. Not sure about Lev but no recollection of having read anything specific about it so my vet would be similar.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Many of the high doses use Lev vials, but obviously might go through it quicker than Mia does. I once did a cartridge (pen refill) for over 90 days.

Can I ask why you didn't take the full 0.25 u reduction? 50's on the AT is pretty low. I would have decreased instead of increasing.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

She was doing well on 1.25u but fell low on three occasions in different cycles so I lowered to 1u. I realize there was one low reading while on 1u, but it was so out of whack with the other numbers that I question whether it was even accurate. I normally would have retested immediately after getting a number I questioned, but I was having trouble getting sufficient blood from her ear for a couple of days, sometimes having to poke more than once. (Not having enough blood or it being more of a 'smear' than a drop could also have even been the cause of that reading.) Based on the numbers overall while on 1u, I went up a tiny bit to f1u. If she ends up going low three times on that, I will reduce again to 1u and see what happens staying on that for longer. I fear we may end up 'stuck' between 1 and 1.25 with 1 not taking her low enough consistently and 1.25 causing too many drops that are too low. We shall see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.