? anyone with experience dealing with anemia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill & George, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

We have a new member over on the Lantus forum with a kitty whose bloodworks results seem to suggest iron deficient anemia, but her vet told her the results were normal, she is changing vets as she is not happy with the situation, but can't get an appointment until the 4th april, she is very worried and upset and is wondering if there is anything that she could do in the interim.

If anyone has any useful advice could you please pop over to her thread on the Lantus forum

thanking you all in advance http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/does-anyone-have-an-anemic-cat.154519/#post-1629236

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Gill & George - FYI, just tried to click through on the link above and I'm getting an error saying the requested thread could not be found.

3. Gill & George

I will edit it there were two threads posted and Jill joined them, guess that broke the link. Thanks mogs, I'll rectify it.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Gill & George

Should work now:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Amino B Plex with Iron for the next couple of months. Then can supplement daily with a methyl B12 and B complex.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

there is something called "epogen" (spelling?)
    I had a cat years ago in renal failure and became anemic... we gave her 1 dose (it creates red blood cells) and she responded beautifully -never needed another dose (unusual).... She had no other complications besides the CKD-and was getting daily fluids.

I had another cat who did not respond well and had every negative side effect he could get -- he also had quite a bit of other health issues particularly his heart.

It is worth looking into--The way Tasha responded was amazing and she was 18 years old--- :bighug:

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Like a charm. :)

8. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Epogen (or Aranesp for another option) do work but only for cats with non-regenerative anemia which is the type that CKD cats usually end up with. If it's straight iron deficiency, the only part of using an ESA that would help is that an iron supplement is meant to be given with them. I'd try an iron and b-complex supplement first - there are risks with ESAs so I'd be inclined to save those as a last resort.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I posted over in LL already, but in case someone comes across this thread too--

Anemia is not something that has a single cause or treatment. In order to determine the correct treatment, the cause must be determined first. I would not start an anemic cat on any supplements or drugs without first consulting with a vet to determine the cause of the anemia, and anemia often can be life threatening so it's very important to seek out a vet immediately if your cat is showing symptoms (lethargy, lack of appetite, licking metal, concrete, or eating litter). Treatment for Bandit's anemia was steroids and immunosuppressants--because his anemia is caused by an autoimmune disease. Another cat may be anemic because of parasites, and yet another may have an infection or inflammation that would warrant a different treatment. So, always head to the vet if you suspect your cat is anemic! In most cases, iron supplements will not help.

Critter Mom, ja9390 and Gill & George like this.
  10. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I totally agree Julia. I was answering the initial question which was that it was thought to be iron deficiency anemia. In which instance, Epogen would not be the answer, but iron would. If the anemia has a different cause again, then definitely a different treatment would be the answer.

11. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I understand, but I just wanted to be clear that the OP should still get a confirmation from her new (or emergency) vet that her cat does have iron-deficient anemia before going ahead and starting the supplement, and not just start him on the supplement because she thinks that may be the case. Iron supplements (or Epogen for that matter) should not be given for anemia without vet supervision.

manxcat419 likes this.
  12. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Agree. It's like I mentioned earlier on the other thread, find out the cause and then treat the cause. Iron deficiency anemia is not the only type of anemia, and, it's vitally important that if the cat DID have IDA that you found out why. Could be an internal bleed. Giving iron supplements then wouldn't really matter. The priority would go first to stopping the internal bleed, which is why it's so critical to consult a vet before going any further. In some cases of anemia, iron is even toxic to the patient.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    manxcat419 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.