? Appetite changed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barri & Sonny, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi everyone!
    My Sonny is doing fine on insulin. Gets 1 unit 2x a day (vetsulin about 2 yrs) Anyway...the past few weeks his appetite has gone up...i just went with it (numbers fine) Yesterday afternoon...he kind of turned his nose up at his food. Long story short...his appetite went dramatically down the past day. Thought he might just be getting finicky with the flavors so i gave him a different flavor that he likes but didnt eat much of that either. Even gave him tuna which he loves but didnt eat much either. Took him to vet this morning. Not constipated, didnt feel any tumors, thyroid felt fine. Doctor took blood and will have results tmrw. He also gave him an appetite stimulant "miratzapine" 7.5mg. Half a tablet every 3 days. Anyone have any info on this? Just concerned about my baby! Thanks

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Did the vet mention nausea? If cat is nauseous and appetite stimulant for the most part won't help yet.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

No he hasnt been nauseous...not vomiting or anything

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good for you taking him in right away. Did your vet tell you what he/she is looking for with the blood work? Be aware the mirtazapine can make them act a bit strange - vocalization, agitation, etc.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

He said that since everything felt fine on initial exam, the bloodwork is checking for problems with organs he said. Thank you for that info on miratzipine. Since i gave Sonny the dose, he has been acting crazy!! He cant seem to relax! I called the vet and he said he shouldnt be acting like that however i did a check online and it said that the drug CAN cause cats to be vocal and restless

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

It can also induce serotonin syndrome. Keep a close eye on his body temperature and other clinical signs. If he gets hot intervene to cool him down and contact a vet as a matter of urgency; also do so if the agitation gets worse.

As luck would have it there's a good discussion about anti-nausea and appetite stimulant meds on another current thread. Here's a link to the relevant part of the thread:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...shots-food-changes.169657/page-2#post-1844021

I hope you find the info helpful. If you have any questions or need specific suggestions for Sonny post again in this thread for help.

Here's another helpful link:

Nausea and appetite problems - symptoms and treatments

I hope Sonny's appetite returns to normal soon.

:bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  7. Critter Mom

Also if you see any odd twitching or similar contact the vet ASAP.

A kitty called Nova had an adverse reaction to mirtazapine earlier this year and she displayed such a symptom. The vet treated her with cyproheptadine (the 'antidote' to mirtazapine if serotonin syndrome is suspected).

I'm linking below some threads from earlier this year discussing mirtazapine side effects / adverse reactions:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/mirtazapine-and-serotonin-syndrome-issue.150325/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-mirtazaine-side-effects.151035/#post-1586807

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  8. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Should i shoot tonight or skip? Numbers will be ok if skipped tonite. Is it ok to mix insulin with the miratzipine??

9. Critter Mom

Hi Barri,

Sorry you didn't get a timely reply last night. :(

For info, my vet prescribed mirtazapine for Saoirse while she was being treated with Vetsulin (called Caninsulin over here in the UK).

I see from your opening post that you're giving 1.0 IU Vetsulin twice a day.

Can you let us know what his BG numbers have been like (actual values, please, so that we might get a better understanding of where Sonny's at currently. :) ).

Also when he started eating more did he start pooping more frequently? Were his stools well-formed or soft/loose?

Has Sonny lost any weight since all this started to happen (including the time when he started eating more). Here's a body condition chart in case you don't have a scale at home:

Body Condition Assessment Chart

Mogs

10. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Mogs,

Sonny is consistently in the very low 100's. He is on vetsulin also. I did shoot last night because he went a little high for my liking. At the vet, they weighed him and Sonny actually gained 2 oz (went from 11.5 lbs to 11.7 lbs) His stools were never loose. Always well formed logs or rocks!!

I feel like the miratzipine has not worked. All that happened since yesterday is that Sonny became restless, vocal and hyper (all side effects that i read about...nothing bad regarding seratonin syndrome...i pretty much watched him all nite) however, his appetite is still very small. He meowed for food this morning...i fed him...he ate a few bites and walked away! Waiting for vet to call with blood work results.

I wish i knew what was wrong. Sonny us acting completely normal except for eating.

11. Critter Mom

[Emphasis mine]

To reassure you a little, Barri, if he's meowing for food and then attempts to eat then he does have an an appetite. That's half the battle. From what you describe it appears that he wants food but he may be nauseated (his behaviours are classic for a nauseated cat).

Did your vet give you any anti-nausea medication?

Mogs

12. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

So the vet just called. Said i need to increase his insulin because his number shot up to 400. Said he is also in beginning stages of kidney disease. Something about creatin being normal but SDMA being high? (Normal is 14...sonny was 16-18) Also said i HAVE to put him back on diabetic food! He has been eating friskies pate for a year!!

13. Critter Mom

What about the nausea medication?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  14. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

He really isnt nauseous.

15. Critter Mom

He's displaying behaviours that are very common when nausea is present (wanting to eat, trying to eat and then giving up on it).

If he is nauseated then the appetite stimulant on its own won't do much to help him start eating again.

Could he be constipated at all? That can cause nausea and inappetence.

Hand on heart, I think the wisest and safest thing to do right now is to ask your vet today for something to help nausea and/or constipation. Cerenia can help relieve nausea but it won't work if Sonny is constipated. For constipation, treatment with metoclopramide for 1 or two days could help to get the moving properly again.

Sonny needs to get some food on board, otherwise he could start producing ketones - especially with his BG up in unusually high numbers at the same time (be sure to test his urine with ketone strips today so as to protect him from risk of DKA). Not eating can also lead to hepatic lipidosis - very quickly. Both DKA and hepatic lipidosis are life-threatening. (I'm not trying to nag or to scare you, Barri, just trying to help; cat inappetence really needs to be treated as quickly as possible.)

Testing Kitty for Ketones

Nausea and inappetence - symptoms and treatments

Did your vet check for any possible infections/inflammation? This, too, can increase risk of ketosis/DKA - especially when a cat's not eating properly.

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  16. Critter Mom

17. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Mogs i think you may be right. May be nauseous. His,eating has,gotten worse. He will eat a bit off my hand or out of the can. Seemed to imporve a little after i gave him his,shot last nite ( he ate enough to give it) Same thing this,morning. He meowed for food...it was around shot time...placed food down...2 bites...walked away. Opened up like 5 different cans and got him to eat enough to shoot. My vet is,closed today. Going to have husband get plain chicken breast. Maybe he will eat that since its bland. Is,there an OTC nausea med i can get for now to give Sonny?? Please someone answer...im a,mess

18. Critter Mom

I'm here, Barri. I know just how terribly distressing this is to go through for you (I'd be frantic when Saoirse had a tricky time eating).

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

I'm just trying to find a thread from yesterday with helpful information for you. BRB ...

Mogs

19. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Wondering if i can get an otc nausea med until vet opens,tomorrow

20. Critter Mom

When did Sonny last have a poop? (I need this info in order to work out what's best to suggest to you right now.)

21. Critter Mom

22. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Sorry Mogs, yesterday he pooped.

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Barri was posting the same question on FB...I told him you had some questions and to come back here. You have more information on Sonny and lots of experience with inappetance

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. Critter Mom

Thanks for the helpful info, Barri.

Just preparing a response for you. Will post again very shortly. Keep an eye on the thread.

Mogs

25. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

He eats a little but its forced. I read online also that meowing and not eating is a sign of nausea. I am going to run to store to get a chicken breast to boil. Its bland...hopefully he will eat that at least for today.

26. Critter Mom

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  27. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

He still is eating his freeze dried chicken treats

28. Critter Mom

Don't go to the store just yet, Barri
    !

Give me about 10 minutes to type out some info to help you (and things you'll need to look for for Sonny when you go shopping today).

Back as quickly as I can ...

Mogs

29. Critter Mom

Shopping list:

* Famotidine or ranitidine (acid blockers - please read the info below before going to the store.)

* Slippery Elm Bark - pure powder with no additives (if you can find a health food store open, or maybe a pharmacy).

* Plain meat and broth baby food (NB: must NOT contain garlic or onions, just meat and broth. I've seen mention of Beech Nut and Gerber baby foods in other posts (I'm in UK so can't be more specific). Many cats will eat this even though they have problems with their regular food.

* Chicken breast (as you wisely mentioned in your earlier post)

* Ketone test strips !!!! (unless you already have some; for safety you really need to check Sonny for ketones today.)

* More Freeze-dried Chicken Treats (if you're running low on them at home)

* Temptations treats - Heresy normally, but as a last resort you could try crushing two or three treats and sprinkling them over some food; it might tempt Sonny to eat a little bit.

ACID BLOCKERS

If a cat is nauseated and doesn't eat enough stomach acid may possibly build up. Giving an acid blocker may do something to help with the acidity problem (but you may still have to continue assist feeding). You can get famotidine over the counter. I think the brand name is Pepcid AC. You need to make sure that the one you buy has ONLY famotidine as the active ingredient - check with the pharmacist before purchasing! (There are other products in the Pepcid range but they are NOT safe for cats.)

Another acid blocker is ranitidine (Zantac 75). If you've got nothing else the acid blockers might do something but I've found that with major nausea they're not much help. Of the two, I've found that famotidine seems to have a stronger and longer effect than ranitidine.

You can find dosing information on these medications plus other treatments and helpful suggestions on this page:

http://www.felinecrf.org/nausea_vomiting_stomach_acid.htm

SLIPPERY ELM BARK

If you were able to get hold of some powdered slippery elm bark (the pure powder with nothing else added) you could make up a syrup of it to give to your kitty. It can help with nausea issues. See the "Simple Natural Treatments" section on the page linked above. Also here is more info on using slippery elm bark:

Re slippery elm bark, here's more info from Tanya's site about it (including dose suggestions and how to use SEB):

http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#slippery_elm_bark

It coats and soothes the digestive tract. Many members here have recommended it for GI issues, including nausea (though it's not as powerful in effect as the medications for nausea management).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* * * Will post more info in a little while but for now you're good to go with the shopping expedition.

Mogs

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  30. Critter Mom

PS - I think the right baby foods to look for are the ones for very young babies (stage 1 or stage 2??? Wish I could give you better info.)

31. Critter Mom

@Tuxedo Mom -

Why, oh why, oh why do so many vets fail to prescribe anti-nausea treatment alongside appy stimulants for nauseated cats??? Really wrecks my head. :banghead:

Mogs

32. Tuxedo Mom

The very FIRST thing I look for is anti-nausea. Next pain relief, then fluids if necessary, then an appetite stimulant (which I have never had to use). If a kitty is nauseous they are not going to eat not matter what you give them until the nausea is dealt with. Imagine yourself with a terrible tummy ache being given something to make you want to eat!!:eek: Until the tummy is settled NOTHING is going to make you want to eat.

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

You do not have to put your cat back on prescription food! Vets like to push that food on to their clients. I was giving smoky prescription food for years, royal Canin SO for urinary issues. He gained a lot of weight on it. I stopped giving it to him and switched him to canned food. I believe that the high carb royal Canin may have contributed to him getting diabetes. Smoky started losing too much weight and it was then I found out he was diabetic.

Critter Mom likes this.
  34. Olive & Paula

OP kept saying it wasn't nausea.

35. Tuxedo Mom

If I read correctly the kitty was interested in food then would turn away. That has always been a red flag for nausea with my two.

ETA Some people equate nausea with vomiting. When my guy has had his pancreatic attacks he never threw up, but would attempt to eat then turn away and keep coming back. For a kitty who is a food vacuum this is a major warning sign of pancreatitis with him, for which I have always used an anti-nausea and pain relief at a minimum.

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. Critter Mom

True, Paula, but if we as lay people can recognise the clinical signs then surely a highly-trained veterinary professional should be able to?

I know I'm soap-boxing a bit about this but we see this problem so often here and it makes me feel really sad that both kitties and their caregivers can end up going through a lot of potentially unnecessary distress and discomfort because their vets don't offer effective treatment for nausea soon enough (doubly so in the case of diabetic kitties where eating difficulties can lead to problems with insulin administration - or possibly diabetic/other complications). :(

As @Tuxedo Mom says above, so many times an anti-nausea med (and sometimes additional pain relief if required) will resolve an eating issue without any need to resort to appetite stimulant meds.

Mogs

Kris & Teasel and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  37. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you all! He ate a teaspoon of baby food (chicken & chicken broth) Gave him another teaspoon and he took a lick then walked away. I am boiling a chicken for him now (since he is still eating his freeze dried treats i figured a chicken breast is good since its bland) At first i did

38. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

He ate a whole plate of boiled chicken mixed with baby food. This is all he will be given today. I know its not a solution...but its food! And he ate it! He had Cerenia once last year and it helped so i would rather wait to bring him to vet tomorrow morning and get that for him. I dont feel comfortable giving him something OTC right now

Sharon14 likes this.
  39. Olive & Paula

@Critter Mom I know, so many times I had to ask for certain things or insist on stuff. I think some vets just have a nonchalant attitude.

I remember my Patchy had 7 teeth pulled. I asked about pain meds (many years ago). Was told it's not needed. It will be fine in the morning. I'd like to see vet have 7 pulled and get nothing for pain.

Unless parent speaks up, I think vets are not going to "look to hard". One associate in the practice I go to, answers for everything is prednisone.

40. Critter Mom

Fantastic news, Barri! And such a relief!!! :D

Did you keep the broth from the boiled chicken? If you mix a little of that through the mixture of chicken and baby food it will help with hydration. (Dehydration can make nausea worse and make a kitty feel generally icky; think 'hangover'.)

If his keenness for food wobbles the rest of the day try puréeing the boiled chicken/baby food mix with a little water and offering it to Sonny to lick off your fingers. Sometimes if you can get a little bit of food into them it can settle the tummy a little bit and, with a bit of coaxing, they'll eat a little more. If you offer small amounts every 2-3 hours it can help reduce build-up of stomach acid and thus keep the digestive discomfort damped down a little.

Another thing to try if he gets a bit reluctant is to blitz up some freeze-dried chicken treats into a powder and sprinkle some of that onto the food. Warming the food slightly and serving it in a bowl raised up a few inches from the floor can also help.

I know exactly where you're coming from. With meds it is always safest and wisest to get veterinary input.

NB: Cerenia and ondansetron are both used to treat feline nausea. There's a warning on Tanya's Site that ondansetron and mirtazapine when used together may increase risk of serotonin syndrome.

FWIW, Saoirse reacted badly to mirtazapine the one and only time she received it (vet didn't have ondansetron and I was desperate; she'd hardly eaten anything for days). I treated Saoirse with ondansetron for nausea and cyproheptadine for appetite. The combination worked well for her. Cyproheptadine is gentler in action and the dose wears off in about 8-12 hours. It's great for giving appetite a bit of a 'nudge'. Mirtazapine to me is a bit of a sledgehammer and nut drug. (I've been prescribed mirtazapine for myself in the past and had to stop taking it after only a couple of doses; my brain went absolutely haywire on it. Horrible experience.)

I know that your vet has ordered some blood work and that you're waiting for test results to come back. If he hasn't already ordered a test for pancreatitis (Spec fPL) I suggest you ask him to run one for Sonny. (He might be able to do an on-the-spot SNAP fPL test.) Ask the vet to do an examination of Sonny's abdomen and also his back to see whether Sonny is experiencing any pain. (If pancreatitis is present the pain can radiate around to the back.) If a pancreatitis test has been run already and it is positive, buprenorphine can be used for pain relief.

You mentioned above that Sonny sometimes has hard stools. Check with your vet about whether any meds he prescribes are constipating (ondansetron and buprenorphine can be constipating). With nausea in the picture you need to make sure Sonny keeps regular because if he were to get bound up it can make nausea worse. Useful information on constipation can be found here:

www.felineconstipation.org

Sending special anti-nausea vibes for Sonny. Hope things go well with the vet tomorrow.

Mogs

41. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you Mogs. The bloodwork came back and apparently Sonnys bg was 400. Also said beginning stages of kidney disease. He said that last February also. Creatine was normal...SDMA? was a bit elevated. I increased his insulin to 2 units. I boiled the chicken in water so i didnt save the broth...i did though mix up some of the baby food with the chicken and he ate it

42. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

And his poop has seemed less hard the past 2 days. Solid logs but not "hard" He felt his abdomen and said he wasnt constipated

43. Critter Mom

Glad the stools aren't too dry; constipation can make a kitty feel depressed, nauseated and lethargic.

Any changes in stool colour (paler/darker/tan) or odour (e.g. more smelly)?

Mogs

44. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

No...not at all. Im very upset with my vet for not giving anti nausea meds. I think i need to find a new one. I am bringing sonny there tomorrow though for Cerenia. I believe all of you more than the doctor!! For today...its chicken only

45. Critter Mom

Hope all goes OK at the vet tomorrow. If Sonny's BG is still higher than normal something is up and it needs to be identified - and the root cause of the nausea.

I see above you increased the insulin dose. Keep a very close eye on Sonny's BG. Also, please test his urine for ketones today. Ketones can develop suddenly and levels can rise quickly - especially if the cat's not eating properly. Also ketones can be a cause of nausea and inappetence.

Forum sticky: Are you testing your cat for ketones? If not, do it!

Urine Collection and Testing Tips

If a trace ketone result is obtained contact a vet by phone straight away for advice.

If ketones are higher than trace the kitty should be seen by a vet immediately to get treatment to flush the ketones out of the system (and prevent DKA).

Mogs

46. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi all!
    1st- Sonny has been eating boiled chicken mixed with a little baby food since yesterday a.m and eating good sized portions. Should i continue this bland diet for another day or 2? Im afraid to reintroduce his friskies just yet

2nd- I am going to go into my vet this morning. I dont want to have to stress Sonny out by bringing him in again. What exactly can i ask him for some kind of anti- nausea med that doesnt require a vet visit? If you all think i SHOULD bring him back in for a cerenia shot i will....but between cost and stress i really dont want to.

Thanks everyone!!

47. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a sweet face Sonny has! :)
    I suggest keeping him on whatever he'll eat until his appetite is back to normal and/or you have antinausea meds to give. Even with those I'd stay with what he likes for a bit. Not eating can begin for one reason and then take on a life of its own.

48. Critter Mom

Hi Barri,

I'm so pleased and relieved to hear that Sonny has eaten better for you overnight. It should be OK to keep him on the chicken and meat/broth baby food for a few days but it's not a complete food. When you do try to reintroduce the Friskies do it slowly (start with adding just one teaspoon to a single meal in each day then gradually increase Friskies/decrease chicken & baby food). I also suggest you start with a different date batch of the Friskies (just in case the current batch you have might be disagreeing with Sonny; it happens from time to time.) If Sonny has a problem with the Friskies causing nausea again (look for lip licking/'yawny' faces after eating, licking/sniffing food then walking away) try another food. If necessary (and if you get an Rx) treat ad hoc for nausea. Don't push the transition if he really doesn't like the Friskies; try another food. Watch for loose stools as another sign that something in the food may be upsetting his tum.

I understand only too well not wanting to stress a kitty unnecessarily, especially when they're feeling poorly. However, you do still need to try to find out what has caused Sonny's nausea. I suggest ringing the vet first to get his opinion about whether he needs to see Sonny today and take it from there. If he has examined Sonny very recently he may be prepared to issue the Rx for an anti-nausea med in tablet form without needing to re-examine him. If the vet does prescribe ondansetron I suggest that you don't give any mirtazapine because of the potential adverse reaction between the two drugs (may increase risk of inducing serotonin syndrome).

Sending scritches for your little fella.

Mogs

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  49. Critter Mom

Doesn't he just! :)

Mogs

50. Critter Mom

51. Critter Mom

PS: if Sonny's BGs are still high then I think it would be better to get the vet to examine him today (just in case he might have any infection or other illness brewing).

If you're going in it would be a good idea to bring a urine sample.

Mogs

52. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thanks Mogs.
    Sonny saw the vet on Friday when i brought him in because of the picky eating. That is when he took blood and urine samples. Urine was normal. I was supposed to give miratzipine today but i am not!! That is why i wanted to get a rx for anti nausea and not bring him in.

As for the food....i order his food online and get 2 cases/month. He was fine on these 2 friskies pate flavors (chicken/tuna pate and poultry platter pate up until thursday! I thought the same thing you did which is why i went to my local grocery store and picked up a few cans from them.

53. Critter Mom

Right decision, Barri. Sonny's eating well now so his appetite is just fine; he doesn't need the mirtazapine.

As @Tuxedo Mom said yesterday, if nausea is the problem then treating that quickly and effectively very frequently eliminates the need for any stimulants.

I found it helpful to keep details of batch numbers/dates in Saoirse's daily journal. Sometimes it can take a while for an iffy batch to work its way out of the supply chain so it's handy to have a 'red flag' list when you go shopping or get a new delivery.

Ketones?

Mogs

54. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

No ketones!!
    Was just at vet and he told me its ok to give sonny an antacid because of the bun or creatine #s. Said pepcid was ok but please tell me HOW MUCH AND EXACT NAME

THANK YOU TJANK YOU THANK YOU

Critter Mom likes this.
  55. Critter Mom

Yay! Very pleased to hear this. :) I suggest doing regular ketone checks for the time being.

You have a choice of famotidine or ranitidine. I'm in the UK so I'm not 100% sure which Pepcid product is the safe one for cats over there. Call your vet back and double-check. It has to be the one that contains only famotidine as the active ingredient. (I have to get an Rx for generic famotidine from our vets because the correct Pepcid OTC product was taken off the market over here.)

Dosage & side effect info - Famotidine (from Tanya's Site)

Ranitidine is sold under the brand name Zantac 75.

Dosage & side effect info - Ranitidine (from Tanya's Site)

Barri, please get the right information on dosages from your vet first before giving medicines to Sonny.

Fingers and paws crossed that Sonny's eating issues resolve soon. I suggest you bookmark this thread, Barri, in case you might ever need help with nausea treatment again. The links I posted above are extremely helpful.

Mogs

56. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you Mogs!! I got the Pepcid 10mg only active ingredient is Famotidine. 1 pill is 10mg (small pills also) Tanyas site says the initial dose should be 2.25mg (1/4 of the pill) so i am going to attempt to cut the pill in quarters! I am not really trusting my vet when it comes to dosage since he told me it was FINE to give sonny 7.5 mg of Miratizipine!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  57. Tuxedo Mom

Barri... the Pepicd AC 10mg is the correct one. As you said giving 2.5 mg or 1/4 of a tab is the right dose for this. It is a royal pain trying to cut those little pills, but it can be done. ;)

Critter Mom likes this.
  58. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

And do i have to give it with food? Or when is the best time to give?

59. Tuxedo Mom

It is best to give a little while (maybe 20 minutes) before feeding in order for it to help with any excess stomach acids that might be causing nausea

ETA You do not have to give it before each snack. Usually twice a day before the main meals will help if excess acid is causing a problem.

60. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you! Tanyas site said to initially start 1/4 tablet every other day...if that doesnt help...1/4 tablet every day....and if all else fails 1/4 tablet 2x a day. Does that sound correct?

61. Tuxedo Mom

That sounds like a good approach. If he is eating on his own then there is no need to give anything. If his appetite is off then you could try the 1/4 pill. I have used it up to 2 times a day. If that didn't help then I used SEB (slippery elm bark) and if that didn't help, then I used cerenia. For a pancreatic attack I don't even bother with the Pepic AC. I try the SEB then go for cerenia and pain relief.

ETA Also if he is eating on his own trying smaller meals more often might be easier on his stomach and will help to prevent excess stomach acids.

62. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Well, he is eating on his own. However...it is just boiled chicken and some chicken baby food since yesterday. Since Thursday...he has turned his nose up at his usual Friskies....he would meow for food, i would put a plate down..he would lick or take a few bites and walk away. That is how we deduced that he is nauseous. I figured the chicken was bland and if his tummy was upset...this would be ok for it..which it is. I am sticking with the chicken again today and will slowly try to reintroduce his normal food tomorrow

63. Tuxedo Mom

The chicken and baby food is okay to get some food in his system but the sooner you can get him back to regular food the better, since the chicken and baby food does not have all the extra nutrients that a kitty needs.

64. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

I know.....i am going to keep him on the chicken today and give him a pepcid later. Tomorrow, i am going to start with a teaspoon of his regular food in addition to the chicken and slowly transition him back as per what @Critter Mom says to do!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  65. Critter Mom

Chase down the pill with a little food or water so it doesn't lodge in the oesophagus.

Don't rush the food reintroduction.

Mogs

66. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

I did! After i gave him 1/4 tabket of pepcid i gave Sonny a couple of treats!

I am keeping with the chicken tonite and tomorrow morning. I work early a.m in the morning (6am) and will be home at 330pm. Will try a little reintroduction of food when i get home tomorrow.

He just seems so tired and drained....wondering when that will get better....although his tail has been up, he has been purring and playing a bit

67. Critter Mom

It might perhaps be better to keep him another day on just the chicken and baby food to see if his energy levels pick up a bit (give your vet a call for advice). Add a couple of teaspoons of water to the meals to help hydration (dehydration can contribute to lethargy). If you do decide to try giving some of his normal food I'd suggest just giving a teaspoonful in one of the meals you give within a 24-hour period. If that's OK add a teaspoonful to a few more of his meals. Watch his poops and his clinical signs closely.

For safety, keep testing daily for ketones for the time being.

If the lethargy doesn't reduce perhaps take Sonny in to the vet and ask for a Spec fPL test for pancreatitis. (It can cause lethargy.)

Mogs

68. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Sometimes i swear Sonny is going to give me a heart attack. He was just sleeping soundly in his little cozy bed, woke up and kind of coughed/wheezed for a second! Seems fine now though....

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  69. Critter Mom

Oh, the everyday joys of helicopter parenthood ... :rolleyes:

:D

Mogs

70. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Seriously....that wheeze though did scaree a bit...like he was hacking!

71. Critter Mom

I am taking you seriously, Barri. :) (Sorry if you thought otherwise as I was empathising with you about how much we worry about our little ones, especially when we see something unusual; text-only is quite a clumsy medium of comunication at times.)

Did he bring up any vomit/furballs?

72. Critter Mom

With another odd clinical sign on the list, it might be worth biting the bullet and getting Sonny examined by the vet.

Mogs

73. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You might try raising the food and water bowls about 4-6 inches. An upside-down cookie tin works (it has a slight rim to prevent the dish from sliding) or even a couple of old books you no longer want piled up against the wall.

Critter Mom likes this.
  74. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Oh Mogs....no...i didnt think YOU werent taking me seriously!! Just a figure of speech...i was agreeing with your helicopter parenting comment!

Critter Mom likes this.
  75. Critter Mom

Glad to hear that, Barri! :)

Text communication, eh! :banghead: It's so easy to write something where the meaning is unclear, isn't it! :rolleyes: :)

If I'm in doubt I always tend to post again to attempt to clarify what I was actually trying to get across (and sometimes that can end up making matters worse! :oops:)

Hope Sonny's eating well today.

Mogs

76. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thanks Mogs! He seems more upbeat today and right now is sitting near me meowing for his food. Just wondering if i should attempt a little cat food or stick to the chicken 1 more day

77. Critter Mom

If it were me I'd be inclined to keep to the chicken and baby food till tomorrow to allow the tummy to settle down and recover. When you do try the first meal with the teaspoon of regular food try to make it a time when you can actually sit and watch Sonny eating the food and also how he reacts afterwards. That way you'll be able to monitor to see if it goes down OK. If it upsets him a little you might see him doing a sort of combined yawning and lip-licking after he eats. If he goes to lurk somewhere unusual after eating that may also be a sign the food didn't go down so well.

Fingers and paws crossed for all to go well.

How are Sonny's BG levels? Any improvement?

Mogs

78. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi Mogs!
    I went for it. Gave him a teaspoon of his cat food on the same plate as his chicken (its the Friskies Poultry Platter so it complements the chicken/baby food) He ate everything! I will still NOT switch over to just cat food yet. Tomorrow, i will put some regular cat food on his plate with 2 meals (today i will just do this one meal). He seems ok right now. His BG levels are good. Way down from 400 now that i increased his insulin. Yesterday and today he was down to the high 100's

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  79. Critter Mom

Hi Barri!

Sounds like good progress is being made. Thanks for posting the update. :)

Great idea to offer the different foods side by side so that Sonny can choose what feels good to eat. :cool: (I'm gonna borrow that one! ;) )

Glad to hear his BG levels are better, too.

(((Sonny)))

Mogs

80. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Just gave him some cat food along with chicken and he is eating it up. Also gave 1/4 pepcid also. He is still a little hoarse and i know that is a sign of nausea also

81. Critter Mom

Well spotted on the hoarseness, Barri. Thanks for posting an update on how Sonny is doing.

I'm glad you're managing to keep Sonny eating. It might be advisable to get Sonny in to the vet and maybe get some Cerenia or ondansetron - especially with Christmas approaching hard and fast.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.