Appetite Loss & Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ali Stretmater, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

*CROSS POSTED TO FDMB*

Has anyone else’s fur baby had a sharp drop in appetite when they’re near/in remission? Nicky was 207 on the alpha track this morning at the vet (he just came back home today after being hospitalized for pancreatitis), but over the past 2 weeks his appetite has sharply dropped and IDK what to do anymore

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis causes nausea which leads to inappetance. It can take time for appetite to come back. Were you given take home meds to give? You might go through a bunch of foods and flavors, you will need to keep him eating. Assist feed if necessary.

3. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

4. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

Yes to the meds, and I’ve been offering a variety of flavors ❤️ He’s in the corner facing the wall and I’m just freaked out right now - his appetite has been fluctuating for the past 2 weeks and he was reading in the 300s on the alpha track at the vet last night

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

He just came home right? Do you have something with his scent on it before going to hospital? put in corner for him to lay on, It might reassure him he's home.

6. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

7. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

Yes - I put his lovey blanket next to him

8. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

We've been going through the same thing the past week or so. Grandpa went from being a great eater to refusing everything. We've been giving him subQ fluids and coaxing him to eat by using anything he likes as toppers. We've used Temptations treats, N&D dry food, cut up freeze dried chicken hearts, and roast beef. We even used chicken Mcnuggets, which he loves. The vet also has us giving him 5mg Pepcid once a day. It takes awhile, but we have been able to get small meals in him.

We've seen improvement in the past couple of days. Ironically enough, even though we've bought tons of high quality food, the first food he's been willing to eat without a topper is cheap 9Lives pate. I'm okay with that.

Have patience, but keep offering and coaxing while managing the nausea. Good luck.

9. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

Thanks, and best of luck to you too ❤️

10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

You may find this helpful both for yourself and in talking with your vet: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/a-primer-on-pancreatitis.83108/

Hopefully the vet sent you home with meds for nausea, but also with pain meds. Many cats don't really show pain, but they won't eat if they are hurting, so it's a really important part of treating pancreatitis and many vets overlook it.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

It’s very helpful, thanks! He’s on anti-nausea meds, and I’ve got a call in about pain medication for him too

12. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

When my Ravan went off his food I bought CBD OIL ( CW PAWS by the Stanley Bros) I put 3-4 drops in teaspoon of Chicken baby food. I give it with a feeding syringe. Ravan was recently diagnosed with Pancreatitis & Kidney disease.

By the next day he was eating fine.It helps with pain, nausea & gets my kitties eating.Have you tried feeding some "real" food, like chicken? Before I found the CBD oil A rotisserie chicken from the Jewel worked!

2 yrs ago one of my kitties had Melanoma, the CBD oil kept him pain free & eating for a year. He ate good up till the cancer spread to his lungs.

I don't take any Pharmaceuticals & won't give them to my cats until i try everything else. :)

13. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I just realized you are the in the TBI posts. Thank you for that, hope to talk another day in a different place. I can't be on Facebook for other reasons.
    We are a very honest and open bunch, I'll just leave it at that.:)

14. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

15. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

You must’ve read my mind - I was thinking about CBD oil earlier today! I need to make sure it’s safe (Nicky’s got congestive heart disease and kidney disease too), but as long as it is I’m more than willing to try! It’s also great to know it can be given in baby food - do you happen to know if CBD oil has a taste? Nicky likes baby food turkey best, but if the taste is altered he won’t touch it

16. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

17. Ali Stretmater

Ali Stretmater Member

I understand completely, and yes, def - when things are more stable we can swap TBI stories, etc

18. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

In desperation I will crumble Temptation Treats in Noah's food but they are known to raise sugar levels. He has a fondness for the dog's food but that may be just "Oh this smells different". Smell is everything to him and as he gets older I have to move him to the dish (he will only eat in spot) and remind him it's food. Just like "his lovey blanket" what seems like voodoo actually works. I pull Noah's tail and he eats.

19. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I get the unflavored CBD oil & mix it in the baby food. I've tasted it & I don't think it tastes like anything? Maybe Olive oil a bit? If you do get it try just one drop at first .
    If you increase it very slowly he might not notice it at all. ( I only use 3 or 4 drops) If he likes the baby food you could try to just offer it to him when he's hungry. Maybe he'll gobble it up?
    I need to use a Feeding syringe cause all 3 of my cats are sooo picky!
    I hope it helps :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.