Applying Transdermal Tapazole to diabetics ear question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

Hi,
    My diabetic cat is also hypert and just started transdermal tapazole. I usually test her blood glucose in one ear only and I have put her transdermal tapazole on one ear only (three doses so far). I am worried about putting it on an ear that has little pricks in it, little openings where the tapazole can get in. my questions are, is is ok to rub tapazole on one ear only every time or shoudl you alternate and if so why? is it a legitimate worry about the tapazole getting in the little holes that are in her ear for testing the bg? she's only getting the tapazole once a day 2.5 mg. I have heard it's better to give it twice a day to keep it more even in the body but my vet says once a day. any thoughts on that?
    thanks for the help/1

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I don't know about your med. But my Maggie was on transdermal heat meds and I used both ears, though I didn't put the transdermal med on immediately after the ear prick. The one thing I do know is that you need to clean the residue off the ear, maybe once a week. The carrier gel can build up if it isn't cleaned and interfere with the meds absorption.

3. Terra and Peaches

Terra and Peaches Member

I always alternate the ears for both the tapazole and the BG testing. If I do the left ear in the morning and I also have to do a BG test I will use the other ear. If I had to do lots of BG testing, I always did the poking to the ear that didn't have the cream for that 12 hour period and then I'd switch. Make sense? I don't think you're supposed to always use the same ear for the cream all the time. At least that's what I was told.

4. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

Thank you. I noticed that the ear that I have been applying it to is a little red or pink more than the other ear. you are saying if you wait 12 hours after doing the ear prick, it's safe to put the tapazole on that ear? thanks so much. i knew there'd be someone else out there in my boat. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.