? Approaching remission after 1 month TR! :)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by KenP, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenP

KenP Member

Just a check-in to share that Ginger appears to be approaching remission/regulation after only 1 month using a TR protocol w/sliding scale, measuring BG and administering Prozinc insulin 2x/day. Some of the highlights in our journey have been:

4/1, diagnosed w/diabetes and misshapen kidneys after 2 rounds of steroids for nasal congestion issues
    4/15, started Vetsulin insulin, started measuring BG at home
    4/25, started a semi-dry food, Waggers (transitioned from dry food)
    4/27, started Prozinc insulin
    6/3, started tight regulation, sliding scale protocol
    6/10, started Authority canned food (non-gravy formulas)

I'm sure all of these changes had positive effects, but I believe finally moving to the canned food was the biggest impact...next to believing that an almost 14yo cat could heal herself from diabetes. We're even more proud that we did all of this with YOUR help and avoided the MDs as much as possible. Don't believe we would be here if we hadn't. And...bonus...no more nasal congestion!!

Btw, QUESTION: if she keeps up these numbers, how long should we go before attempting to go off insulin? I would probably step down first to 0.5u 2x/day and check those readings for a while...but just wondering if anyone has experience w/that...I mean, going off entirely?

Thanks, again, all!!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

We generally consider a cat in remission if they range from 50-120 without insulin, for 2 weeks. It is hard to tell how Ginger is really doing without any midcycle numbers. You are shooting at pretty low numbers; I'd want to know how low her nadir is. If you look at the posts in the remission thread above, you can see how others did it.

Generally people reduce the dose as the numbers go down. So, they may be shooting 0.2 units or maybe even a drop of insulin. I personally would not shoot below 120. Shooting one unit at 95 is pretty risky, IMHO. The turning point seemed to be the cycle with 49 as a pmps on 7/4. It may be that she hypoed that cycle. Sometimes when cats hypo in very low numbers, it seems to shock their system into remission. But it is not a method anyone I know would advocate.

I am glad she is in lower ranges. I hope you watch her carefully.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that things seem to be going well. I would echo Sue's advice to watch her carefully and try to grab some mid cycle numbers just to be sure she isn't swinging too low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.