Aquarium Gravel? (Sorted now thanks all)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cherish4, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Hi all. So I've got to take another urine sample up to the vets tomorrow for Little B's follow up appointment and as I haven't had chance to get some non absorbent litter, I read that you can use Aquarium Gravel. I picked up a bag of it yesterday but I had to buy coloured gravel, as they didn't have any plain. However looking at the packet it says it's coated in colour fast resin and now I'm worried that it might not be safe for him to use. I've tried looking online but I can't find any information.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

2. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

I would think it would be safe. It takes very very little chemical contamination to kill fish, so there cannot be anything emitting from the gravel's coating, or the whole tank of fish would be belly up immediately.

Cherish4 likes this.
  3. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Yes, you're probably right. I guess I just question the safety of everything these days when it comes to the cats.

4. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

As long as he doesn't eat it (or more than a couple of grains of it), it should be fine.

Cherish4 likes this.
  5. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Well I will remove it once he's been to the toilet so hopefully he won't think it's tasty in the meantime!

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

It's fine. After used, wash it, let it dry and put in baggie for later use. :)

Cherish4 likes this.
  7. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Oh I didn't know you could reuse it, thanks for letting me know!

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Some throw it away but it can be cleaned with a simple liquid enzymatic cleaner and reused. Luckily I just tell mine to 'pee on the stick', he raises his butt. Took about 2 weeks to 'train' him to do it...

SuziB and Cherish4 like this.
  9. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Wow, that's impressive! Not sure that mine would be so accommodating.

10. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

Someone else here mentioned using a cats-only ladle to slip under their butt from behind to catch urine samples!

Cherish4 likes this.
  11. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Bet that confused the cat!

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would rinse the gravel well before you first use it. Make sure it is dry before use otherwise the residual water will dilute the urine and change the results.

Cherish4 likes this.
  13. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Thanks for the tip but I got it sorted last night, back to regular litter now! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.