? Are boiled eggs a safe snack?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Suzy65, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzy65

Suzy65 New Member

Please could anyone tell me if a chopped up boiled egg would be a safe snack for a diabetic cat? Alfie's sugar levels are still very high as we're still working with the vet to try to find the right insulin dose so I don't want to give carbs between shots just yet. Have successfully give small portions of white fish but looking for other possibilities - thank you

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of people feed boiled or scrambled eggs to their cats. The yolk is helpful for hairball issues per this article at FoodFurLife. Be careful about adding people food to your cat's diet if he is not used to it to avoid stomach upsets. My cat had issues with boiled chicken breasts and/or eggs and would throw up several hours after eating. I never figured out which was the culprit or if both were involved because he didn't always throw up afterwards but we went through enough episodes that I stopped giving them altogether and he hasn't thrown up since. Now that I've said that he'll probably start back. :confused:

3. Suzy65

Suzy65 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm not even sure Alfie likes eggs yet but he's so hungry right now I think he'd eat just about anything as he's been trying to get into the bin! He'd been used to fish and meat from our plates as we ate and now we have to lock him out of the room while we eat and listen to him frantically scratching the door....I'm thinking the vet must surely put up his insulin after he has his bloods done next weekend as this is not a happy life for him. He's on prozinc so I don't think it's a case of waiting for effects to 'build and settle'.
    I'll give the egg a go....

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

A lot of cats are just fine with egg. (A tiny minority may have an intolerance).
    Regarding other low carb treats, there are some other suggestions in the second link in my signature. Just scroll down to the 'what to feed a diabetic cat' section.

Regarding the potential dose increase, do just be aware that sometimes too much insulin can look like too little. This is quite a common problem that we see on this forum. This mainly happens when the dose is increased with too little data to support the need for that increase.
    Sometimes vets increase dosage on the basis of, say, a blood glucose test, a single curve, or a fructosamine test (which gives an average of blood glucose values over the preceding couple of weeks). None of these, looked at in isolation, gives enough reliable information on which to safely base a dose increase...

If a cat's blood glucose drops too low (or too fast), the body can perceive this as a danger. The body may then release stored glucose to raise the blood glucose level. It can also release counter-regulatory hormones, the purpose of which is to cause temporary insulin resistance (prevents the blood glucose from dropping). The net effect can be high blood glucose levels that may seem unresponsive to insulin. And someone seeing just those high levels may be inclined to increase the insulin dose. However, the effect is only temporary, and it 'may' be that the cat actually requires less insulin, not more.
    This is one of many reasons why testing blood glucose at home is so important and so very useful. It enables us to see much more clearly whether a cat might need less insulin or more.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

As part of a homemade raw diet, I feed my cats a raw egg yoke every week.
    Egg yoke sometimes causes a loose poo in some cats..
    Scrambled or boiled egg is a great nutritious meal for a cat once a week. It is full of vitamins and minerals.
    If your cat has kidney failure issues I would not feed egg yoke as it is high in phosphorus but the white is fine as long as it is cooked. The white is high in protein and low in phosphorus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.