Are Samson's #'s Too Low?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by badams, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badams

badams Member

Last Friday I went through the whole hypoglycemia scare with Samson, and since then his numbers are staying low. No insulin shot since last Friday morning.

Could someone look at his spreadsheet and see if they are looking too low? Do I have to worry about hypoglycemia if he is not taking insulin? Could this just be that the Relion meter I use reads a little low for kitties? I've checked myself (ow) 3 times, and it gives reasonable numbers for me.

My "boyfriend" -- I wish we could come up with better names for grown ups who have serious relationships with people but don't wish to marry -- is in the hospital in CCU, so I've been at the hospital most of the time since Wednesday night, but I am able to get tests on Samson, and keep an eye on him some, and he's acting as happy as can be....except for my long absences, when he's been used to so much attention.

Reassurance or telling me I have cause for alarm would be appreciated.

2. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

If you're not giving insulin, he can't go hypo. Those are normal (non-diabetic) numbers. Congratulations.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You can smile and breathe. Those are beautiful numbers. We consider a kitty off the juice if they stay in the range of 40 - 120 for 2 weeks with the majority of the time in double digits, without insulin. Samson is doing great. He cannot hypo if he is not on insulin.

Sorry about your significant other (just as bad as boyfriend, isn't it?) Hope things settle down for you all soon.

4. badams

badams Member

Thank you.....sure glad to know it's not a bad thing for him to be that low. Takes a big load off of my mind.

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Those are wonderful numbers! It looks like Samson is going OTJ! We usually say a kitty is OTJ if they have 2 weeks of daily, normal numbers without insulin.

I just wanted to give you a little advice, since it looks like you have a diet controlled kitty on your hands!

Remember that a diabetic cat in remission will still always be diabetic, so you will still need to watch what he eats. He can't ever have high carb dry food again--you still need to stay under 10% carbs, and low carb canned food is the best way to do that.

You still need to test occasionally, but not as frequent as you are now. I test once every week or so, but you can do what is comfortable. If Samson ends up having dental problems, or an infection, or some other secondary condition, he may need insulin again until the problem resolves and his BG gets under control again. If that does happen, it's not the end of the world. Bandit fell out of remission after some traumatic dental surgery this summer, and he only needed insulin again for about a month. If you see increased drinking or urination again, make sure you're on top of testing.

Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.