Are some areas on kitty better for giving the shots?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Puddles' Person, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puddles' Person

Puddles' Person Member

I think I read somewhere that we should be rotating injection sites when giving the insulin injections. Something about some areas, like scruff, not having as good results. Is this correct? If so, where are the best sites and does it truly make a difference? I think I read abdomen was good but that one scares me, afraid of puncturing something. Thanks so much for advice--have been wondering and worrying about this. Thanks, all :)

Molly and Donut

2. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

Greetings from one Molly to another Molly!!!

My vet told me to injection only in the scruff because you have less likelihood of hitting veins etc......

I switch from left, center and right side, normally while he is eating and he doesn't even notice that I am doing it. I know it can be difficult to do sometimes, but sometimes I pull tent his fur, then push it aside so I can see the skin and inject.

Someone on here once gave me advice to put the needle in, wait 5 seconds then inject and wait another 5 seconds. It may seem like a lot of time, but it goes super fast and Skooter does not even know I am giving him the injection. I have had great results with the scruff!

3. atajev

atajev Member

I've also read a variety of advice on this front (on other sites), but I only shoot into the scruff, too. It clearly works for my own cat, and I figure if I can consistently get it in her that way without fuss and see the proof in the BG numbers, then I'm not willing to mess with that.

Also, even if she's getting a slightly smaller dose in the scruff than she would if I did it elsewhere, then she's getting that same adjusted dose all the time, so add decisions are made based on that. I would think that being consistent with the area so that you know you're not adding an additional absorbency variable into the already complicated mix.

4. Puddles' Person

Puddles' Person Member

Well hello Skootersmom and another Molly!
    Thank you so much for your post and also for the info about it being fine to shoot into the scruff consistently. It certainly is easiest for me and for Donut. That is the place where she doesn't seem to feel it at all. My previous vet shaved areas near both the right and left back legs on Donut but she yelped when he gave her the shot so I knew that wouldn't work for me. I was a nervous wreck the first few times I gave shots anyway :? So it is nice to know I can at least relax about that!

5. Puddles' Person

Puddles' Person Member

Hi atajev,
    Thanks so much for answering my post. You know, I never thought of the consistent absorption thing until you brought it but it makes perfect sense, especially when such a miniscule dose variation can make such a big impact. It's hard enough to deal with the little things we can't help but consistency at least in the shot location is one less thing to worry about, as we can control that. Thanks so much--I feel better :smile:

Molly

6. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

I, too, was only injecting in the scruff because my kitty Tiger is skinny and it is hard to grab enough skin on her anywhere else. However, awhile back, I came across this information from one of the most knowledgable people on this forum so I thought I would share it with you. The main reason to change injection sites is to avoid scar tissue and that would affect absorption. Scroll down to the article on Shooting(you will see a picture of a cat and the shooting areas):
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=85113

7. Puddles' Person

Puddles' Person Member

Hi Tiger and Ruth,
    Thank you so much for sending that link; I found the pictures especially helpful. It put my mind at ease about the absorption question and also the worry about scar tissue and how to avoid it. I have been a nervous wreck with shooting, being something of a newbie, and feel like I've climbed a major hurdle every time I give Donut a shot and she doesn't yelp. This will make it a lot easier--thanks so much!

Molly

8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Molly,

I've been giving my cat Bertie shots for seven and a half years now.
    I've given shots mostly in the scruff, but also sometimes along the flank. I've never had any problems with absorption or with scar tissue.

You'll soon get the hang of it. Be patient with yourself. :smile:

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.