Are Spirit Essences safe for diabetic cats with kidney disease?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robyn and Penny, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn and Penny

Robyn and Penny Member

Long story short, I rescued four feral kits from my backyard last Fall. All are getting along well except for Mischief. The only cat he gets along with is his bonded brother, Rascal. He's been in isolation besides daily site swapping, 2 hours of freedom with his brother, and his brother stays in his room with him overnight.

He especially picks on Penny, my diabetic Maine Coon who is also in end-stage renal failure (which may be a part of it). She very much likes to play the victim when they are together. I have gone all the way back to beginning with introductions (eating on each side of the closed door, scent swapping, site swapping etc) and I'm one phone call away from starting Prozac for Mischief. I figured I'd try this hocus pocus before I start with mind-altering medications (not a fan).

so I was gonna order Ultimate Peacemaker. My plan is to rub the essences on them because no way am I putting anything with alcohol in their food or water. I should add Penny just achieved her SECOND remission from diabetes and I know what alcohol can do to a diabetic. I was gonna rub the victim stuff on Penny, the bully stuff on Mischief, and spray Peacemaker in their frequented areas.

Do you think that would be safe for Penny?

2. Elle & Squeak (GA)

Elle & Squeak (GA) Member

I don't have an answer for you on the Spirit Essences, but I'm interested to see what others have to say. I have a similar situation - my civvie has the tendency to be a bully and my diabetic plays the victim (she's a bit of a drama queen). They're not constantly at each other's throats or anything, but I'd like things to be a little more harmonious.

Feliway is another product you might want to check out, if you haven't already - I've seen some people reporting success with it. I'm thinking of giving it a try with my two.

I hope you have some luck getting your kitties sorted out.

Robyn and Penny likes this.
  3. Robyn and Penny

Robyn and Penny Member

Thanks! I've tried regular Feliway and Feliway Multi Cat. No luck :( I should mention that when I try to have them spend time together, it's while Mischief is out on his "free time" but after he's run around and played with his brother. I wait till he gets tired. But, he is a bit of a nervous nelly when he's out in the rest of the house, even with the girls locked up. When I first let them all out together in the beginning, it took him 5 days to leave his safe room. So I def think that's playing a part. Because when I put Patchy, one of the girls he goes after, in his room for mutual play time after dinner, he's respectful of her because she won't hesitate to slap him around in his room. But when they were out in the rest of the house, he immediately cornered her under the bed, swatting at her.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe try some really active play with Mischief for a good 15-20 minutes twice a day to really tire him out before doing any of the introduction activities.

Robyn and Penny likes this.
  5. Anne Richardson

Anne Richardson Member

I'm guessing that these Spirit Essences are Flower Essences? They are perfectly safe except for the alcohol, which you are right about them not ingesting. I've used flower essences for years with pets, cats in particular with good results. I like to rub in inner ear if they permit or into scruff. Rescue Remedy does make one for pets that is not alcohol based. Of course that's more for fear and emotional trauma, so it sounds like maybe not the best option for your situation. Really going out on a woo woo limb here, but when I was transitioning a very very scared kitty into our household, I would rub it on him, then take some myself (was using Pet Essences Fear & Anxiety). That way, he would not pick up any stress from me, while I was working with him. It worked! He is now a very happy outgoing member of our feline family. Good luck, keep us posted.

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

You may want to contact Meg from Blacking Farms--she is amazing with flower essences--
    I met her in Katrina when we were rescuing the animals and I have used them as well.... awesome stuff!
    http://www.blackwingfarms.com

7. Robyn and Penny

Robyn and Penny Member

Oh he gets at least an hour per day between interactive play with us and playtime with his bonded brother lol

8. Robyn and Penny

Robyn and Penny Member

Thanks! I'll take a look!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.