Are there any GOTCHA's with Mirtz

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brenda and Morris, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

My vet is giving me Mirtz to stimulte Morris' appetite. Just checking to see if there are any GOTCHA's or negative reactions to watch out for...I've never had to stimulate Morris' appetite before. He's always been a good eater but he has recently lost a lot of weight and is having a dental on Monday and stopped eating a few days ago. cat(2)_steam

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Some cats can be very hyper on it. Merlyn wasnt too bad. His reaction to cypro was worse.

4. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

howling. if your cat is normally a howler, that can become many times worse. i think patticass & tyler experienced that side effect.
    my cat gets EXTREMELY happy on it. it's not normally meant for longtime use, i believe, but can work wonders to stimulate the appetite.
    my cat was on it for a few months before it stopped working as well. the happy part stayed but the appetite reduced again. as she's a lymphoma kitty i think her being happy is still worth her taking the med.

5. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Appetite stimulants - pet peeve

*General* comment here:

Pet peeve: Appetite stimulants used without a thorough workup to see why the patient anorexic. I see this day in and day out. Just like with Convenia....these meds are Rx'd as 'easy fixes'.

I don't put any drug into my body or that of a patient without thinking long and hard about it. All drugs have negative side effects and mirtazapine is no exception.

I repeat: These are general comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.