Are there any phone apps for calculating carbs in cat food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LaraB, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaraB

LaraB Member

While doing further searching for low-carb cat food while shopping today, I managed to find an online calculator on my phone's browser for determining percent calories from carbs (http://scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html). It was quite handy, but are there any downloadable apps (iPhone in my case) that can do this? I saw a bunch of apps for humans, but none for cats specifically.

Fortunately, our sugarcat, Joshi, is a pate lover, so finding suitable food for her hasn't been difficult; however, we also have 6 other cats. We'd like to switch them all over to low carb, if at all possible. Finding non-pate varieties is a little harder for our pate haters in the bunch. Having an easy to use calculator would definitely help. While I'm on the subject, what are some chunkier varieties of low-carb canned that won't completely bankrupt me?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry you've had no response and I unfortunately am probably no help either as I have an Android phone for which I did find a calculator to get a rough analysis comparable to the Scheyderweb one. In case there is an IPhone equivalent the name of the app "Cat Food Nutrition Calculator".

LaraB likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Likameow

Likameow Member

There is a iPhone one called carbcalc (one word). It does a pretty good job. It's close to what you get with the charts. If it comes up with a negative number I've found that it means the carbs are 3% or less.

5. LaraB

LaraB Member

I didn't see that one in my searches...I'll try finding it. Thanks!

6. LaraB

LaraB Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  7. LaraB

LaraB Member

Ok, found the CarbCalc app. This will be really helpful. The web-based ones were good, but not as convenient to use on a phone screen.

On a related story - I was at the store, standing there in the cat food aisle pondering all the cat food selections with my phone in hand. An older woman passed by who'd also been in the same aisle walked by and smiled. I mentioned why I was taking so much time picking food. Turns out she used to have a cat who was diabetic, too. Nice to run into others who understand.

8. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I just went to load the android app - thank you @Lisa and Witn (GA) but it says it wants access to my photos and phone numbers. I'm not very tech savvy but that seems odd o_O Does anyone know why it would need that?

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

There's no reason on God's green earth why a carb calculation app should need that information.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Vyktors Mum likes this.
  10. LaraB

LaraB Member

You can say "no" to that - it should still work.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  11. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Who knew you could say no! I have been avoiding any app that's wanted access to things I didn't think they should need to access :banghead: I shall try again later, thank you.

12. Georgie

Georgie Member

I too have been looking at this same topic for a week now.
    I have found Tiki Cat.. It seems the stores they are sold in are boutiques so a little pricier but luckily the brand is all over the net and can be bought on Amazon and such which of course is good for price reasons. My cat got his first can today and he annihilated it. It looks like food. I mean, I would eat it... No need to worry about the flavors being different carb levels. Nearly ALL their foods are 0! I think they might have a flavor or two with 2 but they are designed to be low to no carb. The protein to fat ratio is also ideal. They use whole food and you can totally see it. Not a mystery food. Not a pate, at least the chicken variety I bought is chunks. His BG was not bothered by it..

I tried Radcat (Which is a kinda pricey "raw" diet) but I will not recommend it as my cat violently tossed his cookies after eating it. I thought maybe he was just having tummy troubles so I tried it again another day and the same thing happened. Terrible bile looking mess.

As for really cheap brands, I have not really found any that were chunky but low carb. It seems they love to pair chunk food with heavy gravy which is high carb. There are a few cheap brands with a flake variety that are low carb. Fancy Feast- Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast, Turkey & Giblets Feast. 9Lives- Flaked Tuna, Tuna & Egg, Tuna & Cheese (They are listed as low carb but I can not say how high quality they are.)
    Maybe midrange price wise Natural Balance "Stews". A few of them have between 0-2 carb levels.

Hope it helps.

LaraB and Critter Mom like this.
  13. LaraB

LaraB Member

I actually have a few can of the Tiki Cat at home that I'd bought a few months ago to have on hand - I noticed those were really low in carbs, so I'll definitely break those out. I did find a few of the chunky varieties of Fancy Feast that were good, one Nutro Natural Choice Sliced and a couple of shredded varieties of Iams grain-free that seemed to calculate out below 10%. That'll be a good start. Some one recommended looking on Chewy.com for foods as well - until I can get to PetSmart or Petco, there's not a great variety where I live, unfortunately.

14. Georgie

Georgie Member

I find that Petco and such have a terrible selection unless buying Fancy Feast etc. I find myself in smaller pet stores to find the supposedly better brands. I used Chewy.com to order the cases of Tiki Cat because its cheaper than the smaller pet stores around here. Chewy definitely has a better selection for sure. I noticed Georgie is not eating me out of house and home now like he did on Fancy Feast. He seems fuller longer. Which is a bonus.

15. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Remember to make food switches gradually - about 20-25% different per day - in case your cat is one with an easily upset stomach.
    This may help prevent food refusal, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.