Are there different sized syringes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ccttx, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccttx

ccttx Member

Hello my friends! I had to buy another box of syringes today for Tank. I went to the vet, gave them the old box full of used needles (it was a ProZinc insulin box of needles, of course, I don't know what size or anything), and they gave me a new box. I left without looking at the box. Now that I am home I have noticed that I have a different kind of syringe. This box says Vet One Insulin Syringes 1/2cc Medium Dose. The syringe looks MUCH larger than the old syringes. I called the vet and the receptionist told me that it was a different syringe but it would be the same dose as long as I meausre it out like I had been. Uh...I'm a wee bit concerned. I leave town TOMORROW! and my husband (who, quite frankly, hasn't participated much with Tank's treatment) will need to give Tank the medicine. My concern is: what if these syringes really are larger and my husband gives him too much? Any thoughts or ideas? I don't know what to do. Maybe they are the same measurement? Geeeeeez.......

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

ProZinc is a U40 insulin and U40 insulin syringes are used.

That particular brand of insulin syringes is U40. Here is a product info page: http://www.petstruly.com/4562.html

The vet is correct. All U40 insulin syringes measure the same way, although sometimes the syringe barrel may be a big thicker or smaller depending on the manufacturer. I think the only U40 insulin syringes available are 1/2 cc and 1 cc. Do you remember if the old syringes were 1/2 cc or 1 cc?

I'm not sure about U40 insulin syringes, but with U100 1 cc insulin syringes the line markings are for every 2 units.

There was a great picture on the old board of a U40 insulin syringe with red fruit punch inside. Any old timer remember it and can share the link/picture?

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

There should also be numbers on the side of the syringe. If the numbers increase by 5, you should see 5 marks in between each number and each mark represents 1 unit. If the numbers increase by 10 and you only have 5 marks between each number, then each mark represents 2 units.

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

What they said up there ^^^

When you get back from your trip, come and ask us about using U-100 needles with U-40 insulin, but for now, just go with the syringes your vet gave you.

5. ccttx

ccttx Member

Y'all are THE BEST. It is definetely a thicker barrel. The little ticks on the side are 1 unit each. OK I feel much better. I will be in touch after my trip and hopefully I can get y'all's help with his numbers. I'm really low on testing strips so I haven't done any in between shots testing.

Thanks again.
    Chris & Big Boy Tank

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Unicare (I think that is the name) also now makes U40 syringes that hold only 3/10 cc. However, they are still marked in one-unit intervals. I am using those for the cat I am cat sitting for. They are 29 ga 1/2 inch needle length.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.