? Are there preventative measures for Pancreatitis, diseases that can accompany Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovemycat444, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Taco is approximately 11 years old, he's currently on 4 units of Lantus. Separate from diabetes he had extreme over grooming, biting attacking himself, having incessently itching attacks. His extreme over grooming has stopped since about 5 months ago, the vet prescribed him 10 mg of Fluoextine (Prozac) which stopped this behavior. I'm trying to research any preventative measures I can take now to try to prevent any diseases that can accompany diabetes. Thank you!!

2. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hello. Your photo of Taco is adorable!

I never heard of extreme over grooming; poor Taco must have been feeling terrible. So glad you found a medication for him.

In regards to your question: I believe if you concentrate on keeping his diabetes well regulated you will decrease the occurrence of any other diseases. Diabetes affects the entire body in humans so I would assume the same in cats. Humans are taught to keep good control of their glucose numbers via medication, diet, and activity.

If you do see any concerns get a vet checkup asap. Such as: vomiting, poor appetite, pain, change in attitude, diarrhea, constipation. I constantly read that cats can hide illness so it would serve them well to be aware of any subtle changes. Beyond this just take it one day at a time and do the best you can.

lovemycat444 likes this.
  3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

P.S. If you are not already doing it, twice daily testing of blood glucose before shot would help you in the long term to be sure you are giving an appropriate dose of insulin. From my observations on this forum and my own experience, dosing is prone to needing adjustments at times.

lovemycat444 likes this.
  4. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Tyler did this for around two years after Hollycat died. Pulled bits of his own fur out also.

Are you home testing and keeping records of his BG to help regulate the diabetes. If not then please consider this at that will be a good start & will help with looking for signs of issues other than diabetes.
    If you are already then setting up a spreadsheet is very helpful for everyone . Here is a link to the instructions.

Not sure what preventative measures could be taken other than good diet, hydration, regular health checks and keeping a wary eye out for odd behavious and symptoms.

lovemycat444 likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with above. Often chronic pancreatitis leads to diabetes. It lime,y at least contributed for Max. You might want to read the article I posted on the main forum on vomiting cats and puppies. It talks about pancreatitis.

Please start home testing to keep your cat safe. When I started here I was not going to do that but became a testaholic to keep Max safe. Since lantus is a depot drug it’s impirtant to also test mid cycle when possible.

6. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Bella over grooms his brother so much leaves bald spots and I had to get a puppy onesie to put on him, its crazy 20180819_170128.jpg

Harley Baby & Michele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.