Are these available injectable???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brenda and Morris, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I want to request my vet to prescribe budesonide and buprenex for Morris' IBD but he is nearly impossible to pill. Are either of these - budesonide and buprenex - available for sub-q injection? So much easier to do than pills!!!

I am sorry to have to ask such basic questions but my vets don't seem to be very up-to-date on stuff like diabetes and IBD. I'm on my 4th one in 2 months this coming Friday, so please don't suggest I change...I've tried but they all seem to have gone to the same school (or slept through the same classes). :cry:

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I don't know about budesonide, but buprenex is available in an oral liquid. (squirt into the mouth)

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Buprenex is available as an oral liquid (squirt into cheek pouch so that it's absorbed, not swallowed -- swallowing it will do nothing), and as an injectible liquid. I don't know whether budesonide is available in injectible form (injectibly?), but I know it's available in inhalable form, and I *think* I may possibly have seen it done once as transdermal (not totally sure about that, though).

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Budesinide is a human medicine and is available (at least in Canadian pharmacies, my pharmacist could not get it) in 3 mg capsules. It is also available as a liquid for use in a nebulizer. The most standard cat dose is 1 mg so you have to go to a compounding pharmacy to get it.

Buprenex is originally supplied as a sterile liquid that can be uses for SubQ injection. Most vet dispense it in oral syrines for oral administration.

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Can only answer the buprenex question, no experience with the other, but Larry got that one for ya. I have been using bup on and off for Leo with his headaches for about a year now and was told by several people and 2 vets that injectible does not work as well, or as fast, as oral dosing. The amount you use is small so it's not terribly hard to squirt in their cheek pouch. It is absorbed thru their mucous membranes that way. I really recommend you try the oral method first, it's not hard. Give a nice treat afterward to ease the affront to their cathood. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.