? Are these BG numbers weird?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Or am I just impatient?

To recap - Jester's coming off pancreatitis that we treated pretty much with an antibiotic. He wasn't eating enough and his BG was staying fairly low without insulin. Additionally, when I *did* give him insulin he was going way too low.
    So no insulin for about ten days until he started eating enough to justify it.

He started eating more normally off and on last week on Thursday evening, but only has been been back to normal food-wise since Saturday and Sunday.

On Monday evening his PMPS jumped up to nearly 300 and I gave him his first insulin in all that time - .5U.

BG stayed pretty much the same for three testings that night - no lower, but no higher.
    Nest day AMPS wasn't much lower, but PMPS dropped to just over 200. +3 was higher again - nearly 250, but +4 was down to 200.
    Today's AMPS was a little lower than yesterday's - 237 and PMPS was finally just a hair below 200 - 191. I figured things were getting back to normal.

I came home from choir to what seemed to be a very hungry Jester, insisting I feed him. I wanted to wait for the full three hours without him eating, but he was *really* begging and I wondered if he was a little low.
    Instead his +3 - fasting for almost three hours - was back up to 233.

I'm planning to give him a +6, but it's not likely to be fasting. As he's still asking for food off and on. And considering how much weight he's lost, I don't want to discourage that.
    So far, I've been giving him pate since I got home to keep the carbs down a bit.

But what do others think about those numbers?

I'm still hesitant to raise the dosage because of how sensitive he seemed to be a few weeks ago. Plus I'm not around during the day to monitor him.
    And I'm going to be out most of the day on Saturday so upping his dosage that day wouldn't be wise.

On top of that, the cat sitter is going to be giving him his insulin on Tuesday morning. I'm planning to set up the syringe for him so I'll be able to control the dosage at least.

Thoughts?

2. shelaghc

And Jester's somewhat non-fasting +6 was 164.

Very curious what his AMPS will be - particularly because his PM dosage was earlier than usual.
    Which means his AM dosage will be more than 12 hours.

3. shelaghc

@Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel
    Could any of you keep an eye on Jester's numbers and weigh in for me?
    Post pancreatitis, I'm in uncharted territory.
    Jester's eating very well - in fact, last night he nearly finished a full can in about half an hour. After all this time, it's practically a record!

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest you try 0.75 u tomorrow when you're off work and get some mid cycle numbers. The 0.5 u isn't getting him down quite enough. Good news about the appetite though!

Djamila likes this.
  5. shelaghc

I either need to wait until evening tomorrow or Sunday. I'm going out with a friend - leaving around 11:00 and might not be back until late afternoon.

Also, I'm teaching the cat sitter tomorrow evening how to give Jester his insulin because I have to be out all day on Tuesday.

Cat sitter is coming over on Tuesday in the morning - I'm prepping the syringe and leaving it in the refrigerator (should only be ninety minutes tops), then he's stopping by in the early afternoon to see if Jester is hungry. I'm supposed to be home in time to dose Jester in the evening.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I agree with Kris about a small increase. Glad he's feeling better!

7. shelaghc

If I'm gone most of the day tomorrow, I'm assuming tomorrow evening is okay?

I *had* planned to do a curve on Sunday. Obviously not the best day now.

Oh, and he's ravenous today. Nearly 2.5 cans of food already. Is that normal after pancreatitis?

8. Djamila

Sam hasn't done that. It might be because Jester has been spending more time in higher numbers and that makes them hungrier. Or it could just be b/c he's a cat ;)

Yes, whenever works best.

shelaghc likes this.
  9. shelaghc

Decided to check him every two hours tonight just cause.
    But he's *still* eating. Definitely more than halfway through a second can for this evening. So, of course, his BG is *way* up. +2 is 302

UPDATE
    Wow - 10:00PM and he still wants to eat. And as skinny as he is right now, I don't want to discourage any extra calories he wants to get in his scrawny body.

UPDATE #2
    Jester finally stopped eating just after his +4 - which was understandably about 290.
    None of the late-night mid-cycles were fasting. The closest was when he only ate for about ten minutes or so after the +4.
    And his +6 was a pink 325.

I almost wish I wasn't going out during the day. He could use that .75U. Guess I should have started it up this evening.....

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  10. shelaghc

Crap.

Jester's sitter came over tonight for an insulin lesson.
    He was so nervous he got a furshot - not what we needed when Jester's BG is high already.
    We're short on time as we're doing a "dry run" on Tuesday. I need to leave home pretty early so rather than giving Jester his insulin earlier than usual, Jim is coming over to try it out on his own without me around.

To give him another chance, I let Jim give Jester a B12 injection - not critical if it was messed up.
    We ended up with B12 on the floor.

So he's coming first thing in the morning tomorrow to try again.

Now I'm getting nervous.

UPDATE:
    I did a +3, but not sure if there's much point. Jester's BG went up by nearly 100 since his PMPS so it's likely the catsitter didn't manage to get any insulin in him at all.

@Kris & Teasel (I saw you're on the forum, that's why the tag.) - is there any point in my checking Jester's BG again tonight?
    And do you have any suggestions for me to help my catsitter when he comes tomorrow morning to make sure he delivers his next dosage successfully?
    If we had any other chance to do this, I absolutely would have. I'm very nervous about the idea that he's going to give Jester a second furshot and we'll have to go yet another twelve hours without insulin.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. shelaghc

*bump*

12. Djamila

I think having him practice with a little B12 is a great idea. He could have tried again with that since it's water soluble and most of it went on the floor anyway.

Is he getting a fur shot because the needle isn't through the skin? Or because it's in and then back out again?

If he isn't getting it in, have him part the fur, pull up gently on a clump of fur to make a little pocket between the skin and the muscle. Then he'll be able to see the skin at the point where it's parted and be certain that he's inserting the needle through the skin and not just into the fur.

If he's shooting in and then back out again, have him practice injecting with the needle more perpendicular. That type of error is usually caused by having the needle too parallel to the body.

Hope one of those helps!

shelaghc likes this.
  13. shelaghc

He's actually come and gone this morning already.

I think he was probably over-thinking the "procedure."
    Either that or I'm over-complicating it for him.

Jim also told me that he used to give another cat injections of some kind. But that kitty was happy to lay in his lap while he did the deed.

Plus he's told me a number of times he's concerned about the needle hurting Jester. (Of course, it hurts him far more to not get his insulin. *g*)

In any case, he was successful this morning and will be soloing Tuesday AM.
    Although he's still concerned enough about the process that he wants one more supervised session.

And we lucked out on Jester's BG through the night. AMPS was nearly the same as his +3 yesterday after the furshot.

14. shelaghc

And - wow! +3 dropped down to 168 even with Jester's medium carb Friskies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.