Are These Ingredients Safe?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Ma, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I give my cat lysine gel when she sneezes/has URIs. Are any ingredients in this product something I should be concerned about in a cat with diabetes?

Active Ingredients
    Purified Water
    L-Lysine HCl
    Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose
    Potassium Sorbate
    Sodium Benzoate
    Artificial Sweetener
    Maple Flavor
    Citric Acid
    Riboflavin 5 Phosphate Sodium

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I also use L-lysine when my Tuxie has sneezes and/or URIs. A number of years ago I bought the gel from the vet. Besides being expensive I was not happy about all the extra ingredients and fillers. I now buy a high quality capsule (with no artificial or added ingredients) and open the capsule and put the powder on his food. There is no taste to it and he readily eats it up. The one thing I don't like about the ingredient list is the artificial sweetener. First it is not listed as to which type and second, a diabetic friend of mine got sugar spikes when he used Splenda. Every cat is different and some may react to artificial sweeteners as well. IMHO I believe that less is better (ingredient wise) especially when dealing with a diabetic cat.

3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

What is the name of the capsule you buy? Thanks

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I've bought L-Lysine on Amazon (using the link from FDMB so they get a commission - go here http://www.felinediabetes.com/pet-supplies.htm than click on Amazon). NOW brand, 100% pure powder instead of the capsules, and sprinkled .25 tsp on the food. NOW also makes capsules if you prefer it.

5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I am in Canada. The last one I bought was the Shoppeer's "Life" brand, but I noticed they now add rice starch to it so I will be checking out the health food store for a different brand. As Maggie's Mom mentioned NOW brand is excellent..I use their taurine as well so I will most likely get their l-lysine. The biggest thing to look for is no additives or fillers.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

"Artificial Sweetener" is not good for cats.

per comments on this message board

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

And your basis is?
    Sorbitol in likely not good fro cats, it is bad for dogs. However, it is a sugar alcohol. Not an artificial sweetener.

8. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Sugar alcohols can cause kidney failure in cats, esp. xylitol. Most other artificial sweeteners are processed by the kidneys, so there could be the potential for kidney damage (humans and animals).

http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/6/1/160.full

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Thank you, Meya.

10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Thanks. I see different strengths for the Now product. Do you use the straight powder formula, NOW Foods Lysine Powder, 1 Pound? How often do you give it to your cat per day?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  11. Maggies Mom Debby

I think the capsules are different strengths. The powder is not. .25 tsp equals 552 mg. I sprinkled a total of .25 tsp on the food for 2 cats, twice a day. I think the recommendation is 500mg/day, 250mg am and pm.

12. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Wondering if this product is suitable. Found on Amazon: Tomlyn Scietifics L-Lysine Health Supplement Powder for Cats, 100 gm

Has some inactive ingredients but nothing that I can readily see that would be bad for sugar cats.

Wondering if this would be similar to or superior to the Now product.

13. Maggies Mom Debby

Nothing looks bad, but it's more expensive and has non-essential ingredients. They provide a scoop, but I used a regular .25 tsp measuring spoon.

NOW L-Lysine powder: $14.24 for 454 grams, nothing added to it
    Tomlyn L-Lysine powder: $15.07 for 100 grams, non-essential ingredients

Cat Ma likes this.
  14. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Is the recommended amount (500 mg/day) based on weight?

15. Maggies Mom Debby

It's what my vet recommended, and I've seen that repeated elsewhere. If you are unsure, ask your vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.