Are these numbers normal?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by A5HLEY, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A5HLEY

A5HLEY New Member

Hi everyone, I've posted here before about my cat Buzz, who has been in remission for about a year and three months now. I've recently been switching him from the Purina DM Wet to the Friskies Special Diet, mixing half of each in his dinner each day. I think the Purina has around 8% carbs and according to Janet and Binky's page, the Beef and Chicken Friskies has 4% carbs and costs WAY less, so we're in the process of switching.

Anyway, even though he hasn't been on insulin for over a year, I still check his BG every now and then at random. We have the Aviva meter. Tonight I checked his BG about 3 hours after he ate and it gave me a reading of 47, which I thought was kind of low. I tested my own BG (about 4 hours after having eaten a burger and fries) and mine was 127. I checked him again and still got 48. Are these numbers too low? When should his BG be the highest? I took him to the vet for some tests a couple of months ago and asked them to run a BG test, and they said it looked great, but I just want to make sure these numbers are ok.

Oh, and also (a bit of a random aside), is cat grass and/or catnip ok for diabetic cats/cats in remission? We just moved into a place that finally has enough room for a little garden, and I was thinking about growing some if it would be ok for him.

Thanks for your input!

2. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

Those seem like great, normal numbers. If he isn't on insulin the low numbers are because his pancreas is producing insulin just like it is supposed to be doing. Great job continuing with the testing.

3. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

Those are great numbers!
    Cat grass and catnip are fine.

4. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Those are dead on purrfect numbers ! Do the dance of joy! And yes, plant him a little garden of catnip/catgrass to nibble. :D

However (and isn't there always a "however"?) YOUR BGs are a tad high, and I would suggest you watch them closely. You may be early glucose intolerance or pre-diabetic yourself.

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hi Ashely, I would be careful about planting that catnip outside. It could bring all the cats in the neighborhood, even the virus infected ones. Unfortunately, I know this from experience.
    And when your cat discovers it - you can bet it will be destroyed the next day. :lol:
    It grows very well in pots on the windowsill. Sweety has her fresh cat grass and catnip all year long!

6. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

If your cat isn't on insulin, there's no reason the worry about a low number. Bandit's normal BG runs a little high: 90-120. The other day I tested him and he gave me a 64! I hadn't seen a number that low since he was on insulin.

7. A5HLEY

A5HLEY New Member

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone! Hopefully we can stick with these numbers... forever!

Karen -- thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on my OWN bg! Sometimes I get so wrapped up in making sure the animals' health is good that I forget about my own... I'm sure I'm not the only one here, ha!

Jayne -- You're absolutely right... I definitely wouldn't plant it where all the neighborhood cats could get to it. I should've clarified... our new place has a really great indoor courtyard type thing where I would grow it... or maybe I will just put some in the windowsill. I have very mischievous kitties though and would be concerned that I would come home to a broken pot/dirt everywhere. I'll plant some and play it by ear! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.