Are trace ketones a cause for concern?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lillie, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lillie

Lillie Member

Leo went to the ER Sunday night for projectile vomiting. His BG that evening was 138 so not high but higher than he was reading this week without insulin. The ER dr. said they found trace ketones in urine but his BG was only 160 (way higher than when I tested him at home before we left for the ER-he was very very stressed). Are trace ketones a cause for concern even if BG is not high? I swear I think I'm having a nervous breakdown since all this started. Another massive vet bill and poor Leo being dragged again to the hospital.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Trace ketones in the urine are something to monitor. Are you testing for ketones at home? You can use the ketostix or a generic form of them.

[​IMG]

They will be available at most pharmacies, although they may carry their own brand. Ketones can develop even when the glucose levels are not really high if your kitty has an infection or is not eating well. Anything over a trace of ketones would mean that Leo may need to be seen by a vet and have blood ketones tested. Urine ketones show up later than blood ketones, so blood testing gives a more accurate current reading. You should encourage him to drink as much fluids as you can to help "wash" the ketones out of the system. Adding extra water to his wet food will help with this.

Attached Files:

3. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Trace ketones with normal blood sugar can happen in skinny cats or cats who have lost weight recently. It usually means that the cat isn't taking in enough calories so blood sugar is lowered but the metabolic need for insulin is still there.

4. Lillie

Lillie Member

I haven't yet been testing for ketones at home because he was just fairly recently diagnosed and I just now got the hang of home testing. His glucose levels have been ok this week at home and he hasn't needed any insulin. He did lose weight but was tested at the vet's two weeks ago and there was no trace of ketones even when his glucose was pretty high. My BG home readings are usually quite a bit lower than when he is tested at the vet's or hospital. Hard to figure out what the real glucose value is when he is stressed. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.