Are we on the right track with a dose reduction?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WV Mom, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WV Mom

WV Mom Member

Help? ... Please? Please look at Joe's bg spreadsheet (link in signature) and tell us if we're on the right track.

Joe had a big bounce in his bg last Friday night: PMPS was 173, and then he dipped to 70 before bouncing back up to 495 at his AMPS. In response, we reduced his insulin from 2U bid to 1U bid.

For the next 6 days he was fairly flat, but high -- 265 to 469 -- and we were considering raising his dose.

But then, last night, he fell to 73 at PMPS+4 and then 63 at PMPS+6, and although this isn't a dangerously low reading, it was 1 a.m., and my daughter wanted to make sure the fall was arrested before she went to sleep, so she gave him a smidgen of honey (which he hated) and a bit of his old, dry, high-carb food. An hour later he was at 84, so she went to bed.

So what happens this morning? He's at 502. :shock:

Now what? Our response was to drop his insulin from 1U bid to 0.5U bid. Thoughts?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just how did yo change the shot technique this morning?
    Is Joe always eating the same kind and quantity of food at the same time?

3. WV Mom

WV Mom Member

Lowee changed the angle of the injection -- she's angling a little bit more down than she did previously -- because she found herself going all the way through. She's taking him to the vet tomorrow and they'll review her technique.

Joe's fed twice a day, right before his injections. What he doesn't eat then, he's allowed to free feed during the rest of the day. He also steals some of his companion's portion. The food we're giving now (Friskie's Classic Pate) is ~10% carbs; we're looking into switching to Best Feline Friends, ~2.5% carbs.

4. Skunky's Mom

Skunky's Mom Member

Ok, I'm very new here and I don't know much.

But these reductions you are doing look very drastic. I'm assumig y'all are not doing "tight regulation" because those low numbers you got last night look good, not scary. I think.
    Dropping the dose from 2 to 1 is quite drastic and then to just drop it again so soon, I'm surprised. LIke I said, I'm brand new.

Have you posted in Relaxed Lantus? I'd recommend it.

5. Skunky's Mom

Skunky's Mom Member

Did you ever get any advice on this? Good luck!

I'm stuck in the land of new dose wonkiness myself!

6. WV Mom

WV Mom Member

No other advice from the board, but Joe went to the vet on Saturday and they raised the insulin dose back up to 1.0. The vet actually recommended that Lolo (my daughter) stop the random readings for a couple of days, to give herself a break, and instead focus on clinical signs. Sounds nuts to me, but then, I'm not the one there worrying day in and day out.

• The good news: Joe's eating, happy, and energetic (well, as energetic as that lazy bones ever gets). He's also gained a little weight.
    • The bad news: He tested positive for pancreatitis.
    Nothing to do for the next several days except watch him, keep up the new low-carb diet, hold the insulin at 1.0,and heap on the love. Which is easy to do because he is a love.

Thanks for asking! It looks like Funky Skunky is doing pretty well -- high, yes, but not bouncing all over the place, which is scary as all get out.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some of the ways you can make other assessments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.