Are you kidding me

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kitty mom, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

So after I tested Dasher tonight I thought why don't I test his brother just for the heck of it......his BG was 483 :shock:
    I cant believe this.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When in doubt, re-test, i.e., confirm the test value.

Low carb, canned, over the counter food is good for both cats.

3. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

That's what the both eat. When we switched Dasher we switched both of them. I noticed him drinking more water and having larger urine outputs over the last few days and had a gut feeling although he's always been a big water drinker.... I cant believe this.
    At least I'm more comfortable with the whole thing now.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

oh no.
    robin, did you retest dasher's brother to confirm the 483?

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Also, hyperthyroidism causes increased appetite and thirst. Renal disease causes increased thirst, but tends to reduce appetite. Pancreatitis reduces appetite and may increase glucose.

He'll need blood work run to rule in or out various conditions.

6. I would retest the kitty and test myself to make sure the strips and meter are good.

7. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

No but I will. All I could do is chuckle not because it's funny but because it just figures . At least this time I feel more confident if he does have it. Makes me think it's something with the brand of food if he has it, a month apart seems kind of odd.
    On the bright side Dasher is at 57 tonight and it's been 24 hours since his last shot.

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

no, it's not funny. what are the odds?!?! sheesh. if his BG numbers remain high you'll definitely want to take him in to see the vet for some diagnostic tests like BJM suggested.

this might be a FDMB first... starting an OTJ trial with one cat and finding out his brother may be diabetic...
    all in the same day!

otoh, dasher is looking good. hopefully he'll sail through this trial without any problems...

9. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Blitzen will be going to the vet for sure! I know he was a little jealous of the attention Dasher was getting but come on!

I really wonder if there's something wrong with the hard food they we're eating , what are the chances that this would happen? They have both always eaten FF twice daily and Purina One hard food , dasher gets no hard food at all and Blitzen will scream until we give him a little ....about a 1/3 cup over 24 hours.
    Blitzen is not an easy going cat and he's going to be trouble I already know. Hopefully is was a fluke but I don't think so mainly because the size of his urine as of the last few days.

Yes Dasher seems to be progressing nicely .....he's the easy going one.

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

well, we have seen litter mates get diabetes. we've also seen more than one cat in a household get diabetes. i wouldn't think it would be solely attributed to food, but who knows?

don't put the cart before the horse. one thing at a time. it sounds like blitzen needs a vet visit. bring him in and then go from there.
    it's all you can do or you'll drive yourself batty.

11. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Right, I'm pretty calm and collected simply because if it is , it is but I'll be calling the vet tomorrow . I guess it can run in the family....better not check mine , I don't want to know :D

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

get some sleep, robin...

13. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Wowzer - I hope he doesn't have diabetes too. I think I may go home and test Silver's sister and litter mate now. I hope all is well, but if he does have diabetes too, you know exactly what you are doing and already have the supplies you need. You'll have them both OTJ before you know it.

Keep us posted!

Juliet and Silver

14. Lori&Scout

Lori&Scout Member

Hi Robin!

We are totally in the same boat... I have an OTJ diabetic and now my other cat Nipper has been diagnosed. Same as you, it was the easygoing on who was diagnosed (3 years ago) and now I have the difficult one who HATES THE VET to contend with. Also since her numbers suck even after 3 years of low carb food, I'm not terribly optimistic about her going OTJ any time soon. :(

If it makes you feel any better, Nipper has been surprisingly good about injections and ear pokes so far. In fact, my boyfriend has been giving her insulin this week on his own while I've been away, and apart from once trying to roll on her back while the needle was in, she's not giving him any trouble. Folks here say that their cats seem to realize that you're concerned for them and/or that all the pokes are making them feel better. I hope that's the case. Or she just likes treats and being praised and petted and generally being the center of attention.

Let us know how it goes at the vet. As my mom pointed out to me, you're a pro at this now so he should be in good hands.

Lori

15. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

His appointment is tomorrow . His BG was 358 today so I'm pretty sure we have diabetic kitty on our hands.
    Dasher is holding his own but I'm starting to have bad anxiety with all this. I'll be fine what other choice do I have, I'm not going to put my cats down because of this so I better buck up and deal with it.
    The blood test from the vet will take a few days to get back but I would like to get him start on treatment but I know I need to wait until the results are in. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Thanks poor your support .

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If there is no dental or bladder infection, or some other occult infection, it does like likely.

You might use the Secondary Monitoring Tools in my signature, in addition to the baseline glucose tests you're getting, to share with the vet when you go in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.