Argh. +7= 408?!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ErinElizabeth, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

That's it. I'm calling the vet and demanding a prescription for lantus. This is ridiculous.
    Everything is on his spreadsheet. What am I doing wrong?? :cry:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Are you sure you gave a full 2 units this morning? Anything out of the ordinary like how much and what he ate?
    Yes, Lantus/Levimir would be better.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Probably nothing.

You are just using a shorter acting insulin that lasts about 6-8 hours in a cat, due to the cat's faster metabolism.
    The expected lowest value is around +3 to +4 hours after the shot; you've tested on the upswing as it is wearing off.

Is there any way you could shoot roughly every 8 hours until you get a longer acting insulin?

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Is he still on steroids for that ear infection?

Lantus is a good idea no matter what. Get a prescription for the pens (last longer than vial and more durable) and we can help with dose, protocol etc etc.

Wendy

5. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

Shooting every eight hours was going to be my next question. Do folks do that? I could try I guess, I'm just waiting for this vet to call me back. Nothing out of the ordinary today that I know of...

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you can do that, it will provide more even coverage, until/unless you get a longer acting insulin.

You'd sum the total daily dose, then divide by 3 to get the dose for each shot.

7. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

No need - I convinced the vet. He told me he's wary of giving out lantus because 'some cats are never regulated, and it's a lot more expensive than humulin". Hmm....

I'll go pick that up this afternoon. We'll start tonight with one unit of lantus, right? or two because two of humulin isnt making Too much of a dent? Can I use u100 syringes? How do you get it out of a 'pen' with a syringe, or is it fairly self explanatory once I see the pen?

Yes, still on the steroids for ear infection....

8. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

$290 for a box of pens??
    164 for the vial of lantus....
    Oh goodness the husband will not be pleased. Have to decide...
    Should I call another pharmacy??
    What about this savings card I keep reading about?

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

10. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

On hold with the lantus people.... Website not working.
    Nobody around here sells these pens individually I'm finding...

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Try WalMart, Warehouse clubs, non-chain drug stores, hospital pharmacies.

Also watch Craigslist, but make sure it hasn't expired, and is unopened or has been stored in the fridge if opened.

12. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok but the lantus will last you six months if you keep it in the fridge ( contrary to what it says on the label)

And 84% cats can go into remission on lantus so pooh pooh to your vet ...

yes U100 syringes are fine... you withdraw from the rubber end of the pens.

Wendy

13. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

Yep, lantus now says that they can't give me a card if its for my animal. And I was like, well hundreds of other people have this card for their animals.... The website to register for a card is down apparently.

Ugh. I'll try the rx one I guess. I can get three pens from rite aid, how long will that last me?

14. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

1 pen is 3 mL
    1 mL is 100 units
    so 3 pens is 300 units total
    at 2 units per day, 150 days
    at 4 units per day, 75 days

16. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

It keeps saying that if I've entering my nine digit code and still can't register I'm supposed to call.
    What nine digit code? It didn't give me a blank to out in any codes?

So if this coupon doesn't work. I spend the $150-160 for a vial and make it last six months in the fridge....

17. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

18. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

Ok, I finally got it. Think they'll take a coupon copy on my phone or do I have to run over to work to print it out?
    I'm going to have my vet call in the prescription for three pens to rite aid and pray it works....

19. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I faked the data and it never asked for any code. I guess it depends what you enter?

20. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

Ok with the coupon it came to $194 for five pens. Sheesh. I guess I'll start posting my troubles on the lantus boards? If I'm testing regularly should I go for the tight regulation board?

21. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

22. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

I've read all that stuff I think... Rereading now...
    So starting does for lantus would be 1 unit it seems, based on chinookie's weight of 4 kg.
    Keep in fridge, don't roll it like I did for humulin.
    Don't express insulin back into the bottle if I over draw - that will be tricky!
    Don't reuse syringes (vet said I could use one syringe twice on humulin)
    Seems like lantus is not a 'potent' as humulin but lasts longer?
    Do regular testing for a week on one unit and then increase?
    I won't be able to test during the week of August 12-17 as I'll be out of town and my neighbor will come to give shots. I'd hate to put all the testing stuff on her too.... So hoping he's at least stable then? After that I'll go back to testing and will increase dosage as necessary....

Deep breaths....

23. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Yep 1 unit is a good starting dose

You can with vials - but not with pens.

I use mine twice but other people on the board dont because the syringes get worn fast and it can be uncomfortable. I keep mine in the fridge that day too just in case of bacteria

Its more gentle on the cat and has a gentle curve. It has something called a "depot" which means the lantus builds up in the cats system over a few days. So it takes a few days to see an effect, or effect of a dose change. Keeps the levels more stable in the cats system. But with lantus the key is essentially consistency and patience to let the depot build up or drain.

Or decrease! 1 unit could be too much. We may even adjust the dose before the week is out if he drops low. For example,as a newbie, if you see a preshot test below 200 you should hold off on shooting and come here and post for advice. Dont feed for 2 hours before the shot so the preshot test isnt influenced by food. Then if you see a low number, stall, dont feed or shoot and come here and ask for help. If at any point he drops below 50, we reduce 0.25units.

Not sure he will be, but we can reduce the dose to keep him safe.

Its a lot to take in - ask lots of questions and we can help! You are doing great!!
    Wendy

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Small clarification:
    Don't return insulin from the syringe back to either a vial or a pen due to contamination from syringe lubricants.
    Do inject air into a vial to make withdrawing the insulin easier. Inject as much air volume as the dose.
    Refrain from injectiing air into a pen as it has a pressure mechanism to help push out the insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.