Argus, my diabetic cat!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eugenia, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eugenia

Eugenia New Member

Hey everyone! I have been doing this for a few months, but am needing more support and guidance than I'm getting from my vet.

I have three cats -- Argus, Spooky, and Peanut. Argus, male grey short-haired, is my oldest (11 years) and was diagnosed with diabetes at the beginning of June. I noticed there was a lot more pee in the litterbox, and when I took him in for a checkup and they said he lost 3lbs, and that's when I knew something was wrong with my chonky boy. Blood test came back with very high blood glucose, but luckily he had no ketones and hadn't been diabetic long enough to have nerve damage in his legs etc.

I started treating him with ProZinc (2 units / 40iu/ML -- still figuring out the terminology) and transitioned him to Royal Canin Glycobalance dry food. So that's the major thing with Argus -- I have tried multiple times over the years to transition him to a wet food diet, and he refuses to eat. It's always gotten to the point where I'm afraid he's going to get Hepatic Lipidosis, so, he has never successfully transitioned. It's frustrating because my other two love wet food and now only eat a wet food diet.

The Glucose Curve testing has always been extremely hard, because Argus hates the vet, but he's gone a few times and now he's up to 4 units and seems to be doing okay. The vet told me I should try glucose testing myself, but gave me no resources. Argus has gained a little bit of weight back (even though I only feed him 2x a day) and is his regular spunky self. Pee has been normal, although the last few days I feel like he's been drinking more water and there's been a bit more pee than usual.

So - basically - I am going to get a glucometer and do a curve on him at home this weekend. I am nervous because I have never done this, but I feel that now more than ever I need to have a clearer idea of what is going on with him, instead of just relying on outward symptoms.

I know I am probably missing some key things, but thanks in advance for keeping this board active! I hope it will help me feel like I'm doing all I can for him.

Thanks!!

Eugenia

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Eugenia, Argus, Spooky and Peanut. So sorry you had to find us but very glad you did. :)

I personally can relate to your issue with the transition to wet food for Argus and funny enough, our two stories are very similar. My little sugar baby was loathe to try wet food despite my attempts from the day I brought her home at 10 weeks old. Like you I had 2 other cats who both loved wet food and mine were already eating a perfect diabetic diet. I tried continually for ages to get my girl to try wet food with no luck whatsoever. She always tried to bury it including her brother's food, as if it were waste in a litter box. The scratches on my kitchen wall are still there as a testament to those days.

When she was diagnosed at the ripe old age of 4 yrs. I felt like there was no hope because I had failed to change her diet. And for the longest time, I persisted in trying to tempt her with umpteen varieties of wet food but she wouldn't eat if I didn't accommodate her desire for something to crunch. Suddenly one day, I think hunger got the better of her and she pilfered some leftover wet food from her brother's dish. I have not looked back since and managed to get my un-cooperative little girl into remission.

Moral of the story, never give up! Argus might just surprise you one day!

Kudos for deciding to home test. Our glucometers are our best tool for getting our kitties regulated and keeping them safe. Curves done in the vet office are notoriously elevated and that can lead to too much insulin being prescribed.

You can use a human glucometer and a lot of folks use one of the Relion meters from Walmart if you are in the US. They have very reasonably priced strips. If the vet suggested a pet meter, that is fine too but the strips, which are the largest expenditure for this sugar dance, are expensive in comparison to those available for human meters.

Come join us over on the Health Forum with any and all questions. We can help you learn how to test Argus and provide all the support you want or need to get Argus on the road to better health.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I’m so glad you’re going to hometest!!! To get Argus ready, take him several times a day to a spot that will be your testing spot, rub his ear, give him a treat and let him go. This will help calm you both down and prepare you for that first test. Be sure you’re familiar with how the meter works and have lancets size 26-28 for a better blood flow. Also, remember to relax, kitties can sense when we’re nervous and that can make them nervous. Some say that singing softly while they test helps with nerves. Please come to the Main Forum with any questions you have

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.