Aria 3/11

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Horrible AMPS but we've been in the yellows all day. Dose lasted until +10 which is nice (good duration.) Caught her at +11 on the rise at 275 so gave her the 1.6 (went short last night with the early shot which was a mistake in hindsight :-Q )

Sending out the "NO SPIKES" message into the world for tomorrow's AMPS. Let this be where that cycle is broken.

2. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

It is o'dark hundred in the morning and I got up for the +12 for a nice, pleasant 294. She was 284 at PMPS last night, so that's pretty darn fantastic if you ask me. :RAHCAT . Poor DS is feverish but refusing to take any medicine. If it ain't one baby, it's another.

ETA - at +6 she was at 43. Wha....? I love green and all, but I wasn't expecting it. Put some lunch in front of her. Going to test at +8. If she's holding steady then I'm not worried, if she drops more then I'll have to think about adjusting the dose. I'd really like to keep one dose for a few more days.

3. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi Hope: Just curious why you switch your shoot times so much? I noticed on 2/6 you shot your pmps @ 8pm but then shot again @ 4am? just wondering .

4. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Hey Michelle - 3/6 was a special case. DH was supposed to stay home with the cat for my race the following morning (had to leave at 4am). The night before the race, he decided that he didn't want me driving out there in the dark and driving home alone since I've been trying to nurse a few injuries and post race could be painful. We weren't going to be home until at least 1pm. She tends to spike in the last 2 hours (sometimes rapidly) so I gave her a token dose .5 u at 4am. She was already running high but I didn't want to take the chance of her going hypo while we were gone. A .5 dose, historically for her, only holds her somewhat steady. When we got home, I waited until 3pm to give her +11 and went back to 1.4 (usually shoot 1.4 to 1.6). The .5 short shot reduced the amount of overlap, but better safe than sorry. The problem with this was my plan to get her at 3am or 4am. Woke up at 2 violently ill and couldn't focus my eyes too well (touch of food problems from something post race and a tiny bit of dehydration) so I wasn't comfortable giving her a shot. When I finally woke up, she had spiked way high and I knew we were going to have a good couple of days getting back on track. One of those real life situations that messes up all finely laid plans :)

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Personally I would drop the dose based on that 43. Some say to wait for a # below 40, but I prefer 50 as the cutoff. If you are home to test and/or keep food out the risk may not be terrible in leaving the dose as is, but I have seen people not reduce doses when they get low #s or low PSs, and they are usually pulling an all-nighter right after that, with low #s & hypo toolkit in hand.

Just my 2c. I may be in the minority on this, and I definitely do not intend to scare you off lower #s. I might just reduce by 0.1u or something (though I would probably do 0.2u), but personally I would reduce. Holding the dose for several cycles makes sense to me when one is raising the dose, but the rule of thumb I have seen is that if you get #s too low you drop the dose immediately. I think Tilly says 3 lows maybe (?) but that is designed for other insulins so I don't know that you can apply it here directly as is.

With Bix, once we got to good #s I had to lower the dose almost immediately to keep him from going lower, and over a course of several days it turned out that he needed to be dropped down in small increments to stay in good #s. He went from 1.8 down to 1.2 over about a week, during which I continually fine-tuned the dose to keep him right in the #s I wanted. I don't want you to lose progress by reducing too much, but do want you to know that sometimes once they get in good #s their liver reactions will settle down, and they don't need as much to stay in those #s. The "dose reduction" path, just want to be sure you are aware of that!!!

p.s. if it might help you, check out Bix's SS around 7/20 to see how things went for him...

6. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Thanks Joanna - I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to grab #'s every 2 hours for the rest of the day then (as long as she doesn't uber spike) reduce to 1.4 or 1.2.

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

If you are home and can keep an eye on things, I'd go with 1.4 rather than 1.2. Having over-reduced plenty in my day ;-) I'd also hate to see you lose progress!!! Of course you have to do what you think is safe, but my experience with PZI was that small reductions usually worked great (assuming of course she doesn't go lower on this cycle, which seems unlikely).

Hope things go well! It's always nice to know the insulin is working, green #s are always a relief to me (well, the upper 1/2 of the greens I guess!!!)

8. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Lol! I was shocked to see green! At +8 she was 40 so it's possible she took a slightly further dip at +7, but she's been acting perfectly fine. At +9.75 she's back on the rise at 73. I'm curious what we'll see come +12. I was hoping to start moving her shot further into the day, so maybe she's just being kind to me and I'll get to shoot at +13 and sleep an extra hour tomorrow. I was so excited this morning to see last night PMPS and this morning AMPS so close in number.

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Wow, that's still pretty low for +8, 1.2 may be the way to go afterall :) not really sure...

Hoping this turns out to be a good breakthrough for you two!!! :mrgreen:

10. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Me too! She usually holds pretty steady between 6 to 10 so the greens didn't worry me the last few readings. She usually spikes up from +10 to +12. She comes down from her highs at a nice pace, but going up is usually pretty rapid. Would prefer it to be a more gentle spike, but that just doesn't seem to be how her body works.

11. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Was looking at Aria's spreadsheet... awesome!!! give her a kiss for me cat_pet_icon

12. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Go Aria! :) :RAHCAT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.