Aria 3/15

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Seems like Buddha and Aria are both on a very colorful journey this week. Since we went down to 1.4 we are literally going yellow/red/yellow/red at PS. Nadir numbers are ok (high 100's). But I'm a little lost. Going to stick with it for another few cycles, but if it doesn't calm down, I'm not sure exactly what direction to go - back up to 1.6 or down to 1.2. Has anyone seen this pattern for PS's before?

2. Terry and Puttz

Terry and Puttz Member

Aria, Honestly, I would be happy with those numbers you are posting...It is progress, albeit slow (like my SugarKitty), but progress nonetheless...

3. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

It's the high 400's that I don't like so much, Terry. I am really pleased with her progress, she's acting better and starting to eat more. It's just those darn daily red/black numbers that make me go "Stop it!! Not the black, Not the red!!" It's the panicky Mom-mode I think.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Since it seemed like you had pretty good success with her #s at one point, I would recommend looking back at what you were doing then that worked. I know I was earlier recommending you try just BID, but really, every cat is different & what worked for Bix may not work for Aria. Since you have some data to guide you as to what has worked for her and what hasn't, I'd follow that rather than any specific formula.

I have seen the pattern before of low/high PSs, but I'm not sure if there is one clear cause. Some cats seem to have a different pattern nighttime vs. day and will tend to be higher at one of those times. Others I think are in a dosage problem and seesawing. Others might be in liver training and having some cycles where the liver is more settled, and others where it triumphs over the insulin.

I don't usually have any clear insight into those patterns (I guess I lucked out with Bix that once I got into doses that worked well for him, he had a fair amount of consistency). The only things I can think of generally are to go back to a YDC type approach where you look for a 150 PS past peak and shoot then and not worry about the variation in cycles, or stick with 12/12-ish (or slightly early) shooting and try to get more data to figure out what is going on. It may just take some experimenting to find out what works, and you may find that you can identify other factors, zoom rate for instance, to base the dosing on.

[p.s. All of that said, I'd probably actually give 1.5 a try. 1.4u looks a little slim to me, and 1.6 looked like too much after you achieved overlap (but probably not too much for one or two cycles) - not to say I have any great insight & know that is the right thing to do, just what I'd probably try....]

5. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

I can't see 1.5 with the syringes without the 1/2 marks. Do they make U40's with 1/2 marks? So I went with 1.6 tonight and thinking 1.4 in the morning. 90% of the time, her black and high reds are in the morning, so I'm going to see if the slightly higher dose at night will bring it down a bit then back off in the morning.

Worth a shot. 1.4 seems to be too low. 1.6 seems to be too high (unless my 40's readings were errors from monitor - can't leave out that possibility)

6. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I am trying something different for Prudence. I am shooting every 8 hours... sometimes 9. Seemed that the insulin wasn't lasting the full 12 hours. She was always heading in the 300's by the end of the first 12. Being that she'd be in the 300's or 400's at PMPS, she'd wind up in the morning with those numbers again. Since I've switched... I think I am getting her stable. This isn't easy b/c my sleep is all over the place :YMSIGH: but I am lucky enough to be able to try this right now. Steve had suggested doing this and I think I am on the right track. Again, it's not easy. there were times when I was nailbite_smile haha, but I am liking the numbers :smile: He had mentioned that keeping the bg flowing at a good number and not letting her get into that rollercoaster effect.. will help heal her pancreas.

7. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Michelle - I'm a believer in Dr. Hodkins protocol (bought and read the book which was very interesting).We did the tight regulation with Ari. The scale in the book was too high for her numbers and finding the right sliding scale was difficult, so I was always shooting too low, but it did even out the curves nicely. All of a sudden I was having to wait a long time for her bg to be high enough to shoot. Then she started doing well at 12/12. Now, we lowered her dose (because she was hitting 40 at her nadir, a little too low.) It worked really well when we were trying to control her levels and get her a bit more even. Even now I'm considering sticking with the 1.4 but with a bump at +6. That's also worked well with her.

Mostly, at this point, I have 10 weeks to get her to a point where we can go on vacation and I have a BID dose that our sitter can do (she's willing to test.) I'll have to order (yet another) batch of sharps to give the 1.5 dose properly. I need to find someone who shoots high shots to send my U100's that run by 2 units at a time. If anyone wants them, drop me a line. They're pretty much useless to us right now.

I think tonight is just one of those *sigh* nights. She's acting well and if I wasn't testing I would never know anything about these crazy spikes.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

sorry Hope I had forgotten you don't have 1/2 unit markings... 1.5 is hard to measure even when you *do* have them! ;-) hope she gets back in blue #s for you soon! the #s don't look too bad to me though - higher of course than you'd like, but it's a nice curve and tonight's PS lower than the morning's, so at least there appears to be some consistency & progress. hopefully 1.6 will do the trick!

9. Michelle & Prudence

Yes. Hodgkins scale was too high for Prudence. I'm found that if Prudence got into the high 200's definitely 300's.. it was time to shoot for me. Steve helped me look for the time where she started to raise up again. It was around the +8 time frame. So that's why I went to every 8 hours. I didn't want her being on that rollercoaster, but I know some people can not do the every 8 hours due to work schedule etc. I also cut out the treats I've been giving her. I didn't have the zero-carb treats... need to get some!

Looking at your SS today - looks like she was probably in the 300's at +9 or +10 - I am no expert, but I would of shot then... again, I do not know your situation as far as your routine with her.. food schedule, how she reacts to certain dosages etc.... I know the feeling when they hit those 40's.. not a fun hour or two nailbite_smile I am sorry to hear you're having a hard time with the unit markings. You're doing a great job and I'm sure you'll get it worked out before you have to go on vacation :smile: That's awesome that you have a sitter that can do the tests!!!!

10. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

1.6 did well last night. 372 for this mornings PS. Gave her the same dose, a hair under 1.6 (which should be close to 1.5) Trying not to order any more syringes until I get through some of the boxes I have here. I'm overloaded. need to get rid of the 3 boxes of U100's with 2 unit markings. Anyone know if I can donate somewhere?

Also wondering if her increased appetite (thank goodness!!) is having any affect on the 1.4 not being as effective. She has actually gained a little weight. I'll be happiest when I can no longer feel every ridge in her spine.

11. Michelle & Prudence

YAY!!! Glad to hear she's eating better. If you go to the main board index - go to THE SUPPLY CLOSET. Post there about the 3 boxes of U100's with 2 unit markings.

I am back on the seesaw. Not sure if she missed part of the shot this morning? or if going to +9 the other day messed everything up? I do not like the U-100 I have. They are the 0.3cc 5/16" (8mm) needles. I like that they are shorter than the U-40 I was using, but I wish they were a little longer, but not as long as the U-40 :roll:

12. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

165 at +6.5. She usually drops very little until +10, so this is a great number for us today.

Joanna - thanks for the info. I have a feeling that the 1.5 will be right what we need, so hopefully someone will take the other boxes. Right now I have 2 boxes of U40's, 3 boxes of 100cc U100s, and another 2 boxes of 3/10cc U100's. That's just too many, darn sharps in my house! So I figure until then, I'll pull to 1.6, then try and push just enough back so it's not down to 1.4 (which would be at the 1/2 mark... of course the dose I'm looking for is at the 3/4 area.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.