Aria 3/2

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Might actually be getting some repeating data (which would be nice.) Going to wait another hour to shoot at +11 but if she's in the 400's then, it would match last nights pattern. She keeps coming to find me for her shot. I know she feels restless. I hate to wait, but I can swing by the vet's and see if I can get them to give me a few U100's to get through today. Shipment should arrive today. 1 unit is definitely too low, but 1.5 is too high and beyond that, I can't really tell with the U40's. Going to try and shoot 1.2 and see how that does for her.

(ETA new info)
    Spiked into the 400's right at +11 - similar to last night. Got the U100's from the vets after a lengthy discussion on where I got the conversion chart, why I wasn't using U40's, etc. They made the reasonable request that I call them with what U100 dose I was giving so they could mark it in her chart. Started her at 1.2 units (3 U100) to see if that will get us in a better groove. Figure she'll get hungry once the dose kicks in.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

lol, my vet about keeled over when I mentioned the U-100s & conversion chart - I told her I would rethink it & then never mentioned it again.... if you are ever in a pinch, places like Walmart & Target carry them, although in some areas you seem to need a prescription for them

3. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

I believe here in FL you have to have a script for them. I've never been able to find the OTC, so I order them. I was happy they complied but I did smirk a little when they said "You got the conversion from the Internet." with that shifty look.

4. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

151 at +6. That's a nice start to 1.2. Ari is up and eating now that she's in the 100's.

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

That is a reasonable request, so long as they are noting that the dose is with U100s. I would hate for her to ever have to go in for something and they need to give her insulin and they look in her chart and see she's getting 2.0u (which is 0.8u of U-40) and they give her 2.0u measured on the U-40...disaster! I know YOU know what you're doing, I just hope they do too. ;)

Loved the "shifty look" they gave you when you mentioned the internet. ;)

6. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Ok, so tonight she went from 151 at +8 to PMPS 543 at +12!! What the heck. I thought the 1.2u was doing well. She stayed in the 150's for a good couple of hours. Gave her 1.6 tonight just to bring her down a bit. I can't see anything that she's getting into. She ate today, not as much as yesterday, but she definitely ate.

@-)

7. Sarah and Buzz

Could be that her liver is freaking out from hitting good numbers (the blues you saw today). I don't generally like giving dosing advice, especially in your case because I haven't been keeping up with Aria's whole story AND I don't know much about ProZinc.

How did you decide to go up to 1.6u tonight? I know higher numbers can be scary. Have you been (or will you be) testing for ketones? I'm sorry if you have already covered all this and I've just missed it.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That seems to be common until they get used to the lower #s - they will throw nasty high #s. Or she could be a zoomer for other reasons, or it could be a duration issue. I wouldn't stress over it, just is what it is, and not unusual at all, though I completely understand how totally frustrating it is to see those high #s!!!!!

If you get more data later in the cycle that might help you pinpoint when the PZI is pooping out for her. With Bix, that kind of problem was resolved by a higher 12/12 dose (I presume because it gave him better duration), but ECID. With more testing, you can get a feel for her rate of zoom - Bix used to rise only maybe 10 pts an hour for a couple hours past peak, then it would go to 20 pts an hour, then 40, and then off the charts. If you can see a pattern, that can help you figure out what zoom is coming and when it's time to shoot & how much, if you are shooting early.

If it's liver training, it should settle down as she spends more quality time :) in good #s.

Glad to hear she is eating better, that is great, I hope that trend continues!!!!

9. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Hey Sarah - The 1.6 was from looking through all her data since she's been on ProZinc. Went back and found the closest curves that were similar to yesterdays results. The last time she zoomed that high, I gave her 2 units and it brought her down into the upper 200's. I know, in general, for her, 2 units is too much. On the U100's 1.2 is at the 3 mark and 1.6 is at the 4 mark. 1.2 is what I'm working with now (as 1.5 as a general dose was too much), but because she was zooming, I went with the 1.6 to get her down. This morning's numbers were good 157 at +10 and 206 at +12. I'm waiting for a 1/2 hour to see if she's definitively on the rise before I shoot. Basically I'm working with all the data I've gathered since we made the switch to ProZinc and erring on the side of caution to the lower dose of the range.

I think you may be right about the liver possibly being in effect. Seems the last few times she's been able to hold in the blues/yellows for a good chunk of time, her night numbers go through the roof. However, I am seeing that zoom happen later which gives me hope that her body is adjusting.

Thanks for the help, ladies (and your respective fur babies)

Attached Files:

10. Sarah and Buzz

You are definitely on the ball with her data, that's for sure. :) Glad to hear she is doing better today. It can take awhile for the panicky liver to get under control (or as Terri would say, shot into submission ;) ), if indeed that is what's going on here.

Stay in the yellows today, Aria! :) No more pink for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.