Artemis test came up HI before shot >500 -need advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angelavenger, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelavenger

Angelavenger Member

We started testing her this week. Tonight she broke into her siblings food and ate some. I think it might be what bumped her up. the meter tested as HI which in the booklet says is higher then 500 and to call a vet. Our vet isn't in right now.
    She's on lantus glargine and I upped her evening shot to 1.5u and gave it to her 15 minutes early. I didn't want to give her too much insulin to bring it down and risk hypo.
    Any advice would be good. I see lots of posts about what to do when kitties are tested to low but not sure for when they are going hyperglycemic.

We are going to test her again every half hour to hour to see if the insulin is bringing it down.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Don't panic.

Sounds like a food spike from the extra carbs in the dry food. Just hang in and wait it out. Have you got urine ketone test strips? That would let you determine if ketones were developing, which is the major concern about going high.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With Lantus it would be a good idea to just stick with your dose. You don't need to adjust for a single number. It's ok you did it this time...but a dose increase is done after a series of numbers showing a lack of progress, and even then only bump it up .25 at a time.
    Lori

4. The "HI" is not life-threatening like a hypo incident.
    If it's due to getting into high carb food, it will "go away" once the food clears her system. Go ahead and continue to check her to see what the insulin does.
    Try to stick with the 1.25 dose though. With some insulins like PZI, Prozinc, or Humulin, giving extra insulin in one shot might show results. But with Lantus, that's just not the way it works. Lantus is more dependent on consistent dosing over a period of several days until you see the results of an increased dose. With an increase of .25u, you won't most likely see drastic results.

You'll have a better idea what it did once she reaches her nadir, roughly 6 hours after the shot was given. Just check to see how low she goes this cycle, then go back to 1.25 in the morning.

Hopefully others more familiar with Lantus will chime in soon.

Carl

5. Also, are you checking regularly for ketones? With higher numbers they would be more of a concern, but one high cycle isn't an emergency type situation.
    Carl

6. Angelavenger

Angelavenger Member

Thank you everyone. My first time with this so thank you for calming me down. I'll go back to the 1.25 in the morning.
    No i don't have any ketone urine strips yet. I will test later in the cycle to see how low she goes from this dose.
    We tested a half hour ago and she'd come down to 507.

7. I understand the "panic".. I never got a HI on my meter, but it would have freaked me out too!
    You did the logical thing thinking "more insulin", and with one of the other insulins, that probably would have given you immediate results.
    Better to ask, no matter what the question might be. That's what we're here for! :smile:

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.