Arthritic pain

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by drjsiems, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

As Jake nears his 21st birthday, he needs more than Adequan injections for his arthritic pain. Knowing that Adequan is not directly a pain killer, his all cats vet thinks Tramadol might be the best choice.

Fortunately, Jake has been in remission from DM for nearly three years and has no other illnesses or conditions that his vet and I are aware of except for mild kidney disease (that is not even at a treatable stage - BUN = 30, CREA = 2.7) so I am assuming there are no restrictions on treatment options for arthritis pain except, of course, Metcam! I do believe, however, that the pain is very likely affecting his appetite - thus, my former post regarding cyproheptadine which, by the way, has worked great for him.

I am looking for input on which drug to use for arthritic pain and/or alternative therapies that have worked for your kitties with severe arthritis. Thanking you in advance.

Judy & Jake

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Tramadol is good if the cat tolerate it. many cats to not tolerate it, the cats gets spacey. Some of mine do and some do not. Its advantage is that it is cheap compared the the better pain med of Byprenex (Buprenorphine).
    There is Cosequin and Desiquin.

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Gabapentin and tramadol were tolerated by my Carly, but buprenex she couldn't. she also got adequan once a week and Dasuquin.

4. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Jake too gets Adequan once a week in addition to Dasuquin, but it is not enough. That is interesting, Lisa, that your Carly is/was a weekly Adequan kitty and Dasuquin receiver. Both you and Larry are familiar with Tramadol; but now I will ask my vet about the Gabapentin too in addition to others' input I might get!

Thanks,
    Judy & Jake

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I've not had any cat tolerate Tramadol. Smokey screamed in her sleep. Taz stared into space, chased things that weren't there. If we hadn't had Tiger on it at the same time having similar problems we would have blamed her Cerenia or thought she'd just lost her mind. The older cats definitely had a harder time with it, but Tiger is a 18lb, 6 yr old male and he still didn't come out of its effects for 2 days after we gave the last dose. I'd definitely recommend starting low and building up to find the tolerable dose.

6. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Reagan didn't have any problem with Tramadol. I was going to give it to Houdini for his arthritis but he is on Denamarin and Tram & Sam E don't mix. I give him Gabapentin which doesn't seem to make him as sleepy as Bupe.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Some cats find arthritis relief with acupuncture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.