Arthritis and diabetes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Buddy&DillonsMom, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddy&DillonsMom

Buddy&DillonsMom New Member

Hi,

Buddy, my 8yo diabetic Siamese, has been limping. I asked my vet about it, and she suggested arthritis (no xray, but did an exam and said he would be showing that he was hurting if something worse was going on-he let her move his arm around all kinds of ways). Anyways, she mentioned glucosamine, but I didn't get anything because I don't know how it will react with his diabetes. He's OTJ and diet controlled, so I don't want to give him anything that will compromise that, but I really want to help him feel better. Any suggestions?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Fish oil may be of help; ask your vet about it.

And if glucosamine is needed, then you manage the diabetes around that, even if it means resuming insulin.

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I cant imagine that any of the arthritis supps/meds would make a big BG difference but I suppose ECID. Carly is diet controlled so I dont really know but shes on adequan, dasuquin, tramadol and gabapentin..her arthritis is severe tho.

4. GraceAndAngie

GraceAndAngie Member

Check the ingredients on the glucosamine. I had two types for cats. One had fructose syrup in it - it's in the bin now! The other doesn't have anything suspicious listed on it but they only have the active ingredients. I haven't given my cats glucosamine since I switched them from dry food (only about a week ago). I thought I'd try it out again when I have more data on a low carb diet and see if there is an affect on her blood sugar.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

If you get something for the arthritis - be sure it also includes MSM as that also helps with joint issues. Shop around, there are all kinds of options available - pills, supplements, treats. Find ones that work best for your cat and are low/no carb, no sugar.

6. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I do a capsule called cosequin for Sneakers arthritis. You can get it cheaper at Amazon than you can at the vet.

If you don't pill the capsule comes apart and you can sprinkle the contents in the food and mix it in.

7. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Ruby is OTJ (diet controlled) and the Dasuquin for Cats we use hasn't affected her BG levels at all. I just open the capsule and mix it into her food. I just buy it on Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.